1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Know any good instructions to make a Paracord keyfob?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Irwin J. Finster, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Irwin J. Finster

Irwin J. Finster Loaded Pockets

Hi,

I always like to have a piece of paracord handy. I have a big roll in my trunk and in my GHB. And also a about 4 foot piece on my keyring which I tie like that:

http://www.itstactical.com/skillcom/knots/misc/knot-of-the-week-paracord-storage-lanyard/

It's OK, but I am not 100% happy with this setup. First, I would like to have more cord on it with it getting thicker not longer (tried to double wrap it but that won't hold up to well). It still should be realtive easy to make so that one doesn't hesitate to undo it for your everyday needs because its such a :censored: to make a new one. Also, one piece construction would be a big bonus too.

Any ideas anyone? And, how do you carry your 550 cord on person.

TIA

2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hopefully someone has a better answer because I'm looking myself. I've only found one way to carry paracord that I would actually use. I bend about 1 foot of cord in half around a size 0 Sbiner (asplit ring would work too) then I weave the cord in tight figure 8s around the 2 lines starting from the s biner end. I think this is called an in and out weave? I finish with a cord lock. It takes only a minute or 2 to make, and seconds to unmake. Holds about 4 feet of cord if I make it as long as my hand is wide. I have been looking for a way to carry more just like you. I think I'm going to use a different type of cord. Most of the times I've needed it, paracord was overkill, any twine would have worked. Maybe I'll use some colored mason line wrapped with the paracord, that should still look nice.

.....after watching the demo video I have another idea. Instead of adding cords by wraping around again, how about having more inside strands? After watching him make it it reminds me of something I saw online a few years ago. It was about 5 feet of cord wrapped up in a similar manner. When you pulled on the top loop, the whole thing came undone, I think I know how to make that now. I wish I remembered what it was called or where I saw it.

3. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

i do a box sonnet i think its called (box stitch maybe) about 4" long, then use the access to come back over the top of it with a solomon bar type knot. i can get around 10-12 ft of cord on a med size key fob.

this one is 2 6 ft strands
    [​IMG]

this is 2 4 ft strands
    [​IMG]

4. ckc123

ckc123 Loaded Pockets

if you want a way to store paracord, and still be able to take lenghts off without having to redo the knots etc.. then you need to learn this one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m1Jb94kans

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it's very simple, and you just layer it more and more.. pull off as much as you want and the shape never changes.. (I usually have 3 -4 complete rotations, so there is lots to pull off bfore you get to the main inner core.

5. Irwin J. Finster

Irwin J. Finster Loaded Pockets

Jeah, these doughnuts are great, and thats the way I store them in my pack and my car, but a little large for my keys...

Also, I try to make my doughnuts with a small as possible hole in the middle for compactness.......

6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've spent most of the day browsing around it's tactical now lol. the very next weekly knot after the one you posted was what I was referring too. Itstactical uses 25 feet of cord, but if you did it with about 10 feet of cord (like the one I originally saw on the net) it would be the perfect size for key chain carry.

7. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

When I was including cordage on keychain, this is the method I used (photo).

Clearly, it’s not Type III 550 you specified; rather, it’s Type I paracord, aka “tether cord,”dummy cord” and “accessory cord.” 100-lb test, contains a single inner-strand (vs. 550’s seven inner-strands). Available in variety of colors, depending on vendor. My preferred sources: Supply Captain, ten colors, 1/16-inch (1.6mm) diameter 50-ft $4.50. 5 Star EDC on eB*y, 25 colors, 2mm diameter, 25-ft $1.75.

I haven’t abandoned 550 – plenty is included in other kits, like pocket organizer, vehicle kit(s), BOB and hiking kit(s). But since I’m on campaign to reduce keychain load, my love affair with 550 had to be set aside. The photo doesn’t depict today's actual keychain. My Keychain Version 10.5.1 ;D today is comprised of my newly-defined essentials: Jeep keyfob, house key, mailbox key, LM PS4, small REI whistle, Photon Freedom light and small tritium vial.

What you see in photo: 3-ft of Type I wrapped around 1/8" x 2" stainless steel cotter pin. Two wraps along the length; a third wrap would increase cord length to approximately 4-ft.

There are a variety of ways to terminate the wrap; I used <one drop of super glue. Secure, but bond easily broken.

For me, the switch to the smaller Type I paracord was a natural, once I realized that:

• 550 was simply too bulky on the keychain;
    • 550 was overkill for historical day-to-day needs, like kertap75 pointed out: "Most of the times I've needed it, paracord was overkill, any twine would have worked."
    • Type I met my requirements: reduced bulk/weight, decent strength @ 100-lbs, single inner-strand added additional utility.
    • It was compatible with the "cotter pin carry" which I really like. Kudos to whomever it was that first thought of it.

[​IMG]

In the same spirit, notice that the duct tape-carry reduces bulk/weight by half, using Gorilla's 1-in wide tape vs standard ~ 2-in width. Don't believe I've sacrificed meaningful utility with narrower tape (1-in works as well as 2-in in most on-the-spot uses). 12-in wrapped around 1/8" x 1" stainless steel cotter pin; wrap is 1/2-in diameter.

[​IMG]

8. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like that! Might not work for the OP, I believe he was looking to carry more then the 4ft he is currently carrying. But that seems very compact, and easy to get on/off. I don't EDC glue, but it wouldn't be that big a deal if a few feet of cord had to live in my pocket for a few hours. There's a discount store near my house that has a big bin of misc. old key chains for $.50 each. I'm in there at least once a week digging through for cool stuff, they think I'm nuts. They had a few of the really large pins with a split ring attached last time I was there, now I have an excuse to buy them :) They're large enough that I might be able to put some electrical tape on the end and still have a decent amount of cord. Never tried rewraping electrical cord though, does it restick as well as duct tape?

9. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

I carry 12 ft. on a coil tied the ITS way. It's about 5 inches long and a little over 1/2 in dia. I clip the loop on a 'biner attaced to a bag. To make I loop the cord 8 times around my fingers and then do the wraps, then thread the end back under the wraps and fininsh with a slip knot. You might be able to carry that in a pocket or clip it to your belt. Have you considered a paracord bracelet. There are plenty of instructions on the 'net. The single color ones I make with buckles have around 9 feet of cord. The donuts are great for longer lengths of cord but take awhile to make.

I just remembered another way, simular to jnsn's above. Sorry this the only picture I have of it right now.
    [​IMG]

It's the brown one on the lower right. I started with a solomon bar (cobra knot) a couple of inches long, then reversed directions and tied another solomons bar (king cobra) over it and then reversed directions again and another solomons bar (gianormus cobra knot :laugh:). It has about 12 ft of cord and about covers the palm of my hand. I dubbed it a Scarb Knot.

10. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

I used super glue since, in actual practice, didn't use cordage that often. But a workable alternative: run the tag end through the cotter pin's "eye" and back under itself or under the last wrap on the pin and out; or even running through the eye then typing a knot so won't pull through (might be none of that makes sense to you ;D but you get the idea ... several ways to reasonably secure without super glue).

Sorry, can't comment since I've never rewrapped electrical.

11. scout121

scout121 Empty Pockets

12. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Stormdrane on this forum has posted a bunch of good stuff, IIRC.

13. AstrayKat

AstrayKat Empty Pockets

14. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Nah. Not unless you spend a little extra money & get the Good Stuff!
    This one does fine:
    'Scotch Professional Grade Super 88 Vinyl Electrical Tape.'

Comes in a round lidded clear case.
    Label says:

'Extra thick,extra tough.
    Super Strong Adhesion.
    Indoor/ Outdoor use.
    3/4" x 66' x .0085"
    Made in USA.'

Also worth noting: it's the only one I found that is rated from -0.4*F (-18*C) to 221*F (105*C)

Would also like to add: My friend & cohort: xbanker absolutely nailed it,when he brought up Gorilla Duct Tape! I used stagerigger's gaff tape for years, plus every brand of duct tape imaginable....nothing else comes close, to Gorilla brand.
    And the 1" wide version is a favorite of mine.

Just like super glue: if the first word on the label ain't Gorilla, it's just what we used prior to the invention of Gorilla Super Glue.

OOPS! this was s'posed to be about paracord....sorry.
    Down off his soapbox,Gnarly goes.

15. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I'm switching to a paracord lanyard that connects from my belt to my keychain. It's not a fob but it will allow me to carry 15 feet if I use a cobra weave. If I find a more robust/thicker weave, I can carry even more.

16. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

17. wundergussy

wundergussy Loaded Pockets

The doughnut ties are awesome... I know what skill I'm gonna learn this summer!