1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knives You'd Trust With Your Life

Discussion in 'Knives' started by steelstr45, Sep 4, 2009.

1. indabayou

indabayou Loaded Pockets

Fallkniven F1 for me also.

2. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

For a fixed blade, I'd be torn between my Scrapyard Knives Yard Hook or my Falkniven A1. For a folder, either my Zero Tolerance 0200 or my Benchmade Skirmish 630. Actually, I would be pretty much confident in any of those knives, all of which are very sharp and very stout.

3. mkphc

mkphc Loaded Pockets

bark river woodland, as it is on me 24/7

4. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

Victorinox OHT.
    Wilderness:
    Use the saw to create a walking - digging - prying staff that doubles as a tent or shelter pole and then work on making a small stout club.
    Urban:
    Screw drivers should help me egress and scavange.
    Tin bottle opener are self explanatory.

IF I could have 2; I'd rather pair the OHT with an Ontario 12 Machete and still be under $50.

YMMV,
    Pete

5. CubistHamster

CubistHamster Loaded Pockets

Folder: Spyderco Manix (original)

Fixed: Fallkniven F1
    RAT Cutlery RC-4
    Any one of my 5 Himalayan Imports Khukris

If I had to pick just one though, it would definitely be one of my Khukris, most likely the British Army Service model.

6. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

Benchmade 710
    Spyderco H1
    Sog Flash 2
    Sog Seal team
    kabar

any machete :)

7. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

That is an interesting link, I have always liked Khukuris, particularly as I have family on my mother's side in Assam not that far from Nepal. There are one or two knives in the Specials section on the site that I would really like to own. What do you think of the steel your Khukuri is made of?
    My guess is it should be a good carbon steel but it doesn't say on the site, I know India has probably been making steel longer than any where else in the world so their stuff should be good.

8. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I took a week long survival course this summer. The knives I used almost exclusively were the school knife, which was a Bark River Fox River fixed blade and a Buck Smidgen. The Smidgen was a great for starting fires with ferro rod. The school owner carries and uses the Fox River daily. I have seen enough things done with that knife that I would stake my life on it. I carry several other knives on a regular basis but the Fox River is on my belt when I hit the trails. It is took large to EDC in an urban or suburban environment, otherwise it would be a fixture in my EDC.

9. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

A lot of people here are reading this into a self defence survival. I'm reading it as a overall survival, self defense may be part of that. In that case, based on knives I have access to, meaning knives I own, it comes down to 2. The first is my Grohmann #3, original Canadian Military issue. Second is my CRKT M21-14SF. Both are very solid, well balanced, sharp, and have enough weight and size to do the job right. Also, neither are so large it would be a challenge to use or carry easily. There are a few KA-BAR knives that look like I would trust them, and some other brands as well, but I'm going to base my opinion on what I own.

10. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

+1

My ZT0300 always rides in my backpack which always rides with me. :)

I'll add to that my Becker BK2.

11. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

A quality high carbon steel Khukri. One with a solid strike bezel on the backside of the blade.

12. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

In my opinion, if you choose a knife for survival (whatever you think that may entail) it must be able to do some service in a self defence capacity as well as a tool but unless your choice is something very small it should do anyway. The thing is, to know how to use what you choose to carry for whatever it may be needed for. My Puma Scout is first and foremost a working knife but I would not like to be on the receiving end of an attack from it.

13. ironmike86

ironmike86 Loaded Pockets

Ya to vauge. But it would be a Fixed high quality high carbon /tool steel blade knife IMO. Rat,Busse, bark River ect there are many

14. nathanr310

nathanr310 Empty Pockets

Also I would trust my Scrapyard Knives Son of Dog Father.

15. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I swap out or add knives and other tools according to my environment, but I believe in always having a general-purpose "survival" blade as well. Mine is a Camillus Aftermath.

[​IMG]

It is slim enough to carry all the time without noticing, but it is very tough and capable. The 5-1/2" blade is D-2 and the frame is titanium. My favorite shape for versatility is a clip-point recurve. This knife can shave tinder, baton through logs, prepare food, cut cords, whittle tools, and act as an effective weapon.

The other knife I am never without is a tiny Rob Simmonich Bitteroot in Talonite.

[​IMG]

I wear it on a neck chain as a backup. It gives me a small blade (1.6") for precision work and the Talonite means that I never have to worry about corrosion, even in salt water.

When I travel to areas that do no allow the Aftermath I swap it out for a Spyderco Chinook (4" blade), Spyderco Lil Temperance Clip-Point (3" blade), or Spyderco Salsa Titanium (2.5" blade).

--Bob Q

16. jester02k

jester02k Loaded Pockets

Either of these two the gunny I haven't used but once, But the Canadian special I've used a few times in the kitchen and in the back yard
    solid knife fits in the hand like it was made for just me love it.
    [​IMG]

17. detwolfsdad

detwolfsdad Empty Pockets

Kabar Becker Companion... no doubt

18. Tuxedomoon

Tuxedomoon Empty Pockets

i only have the 2 so the question is easy!
    folder: jim burke rockstar
    fixed: graham razel

19. doktor_x

doktor_x Empty Pockets

folder: Benchmade 615
    fixed: 5.5" puukko

20. 2506sniper

2506sniper Loaded Pockets

Pocket/Self defense- Benchmade 710 D2
    Large fixed blade/survival - MOD Mark V