1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knives that aren't viewed as weapons for work

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Cityus, Oct 4, 2014.

1. gingerman

gingerman Loaded Pockets

My vote would be for a barlow knife or something of that sort particularly a big Daddy or Grandaddy Barlow. Might not look tactical but it'll do the job.

sungame likes this.
  2. gingerman

gingerman Loaded Pockets

And the chive or leek open like lightning.

3. gingerman

gingerman Loaded Pockets

Another very good EDC knife that is one hand opening is the SOG flash 1 or flash 2.

4. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Assisted folders are to many people like automatic knives.
    One even told me that my OD-2 would be illegal here. Which isn't so, even if it would be automatic.
    Get yourself a pink RAT folder, it's sturdy but looking girlish enough in this danger-hating world where even having a SAK in your pocket is getting you raised eyebrows. Yes, even here in Switzerland...

5. Anson

Anson Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying my pink Spyderco Squeak more often than not for this exact reason. It is very people friendly. It's a quality knife, and I would be a big fan of it either way, but in truth, the fact that I can use it without instant tension in the air makes it one of my favorites.

ManVsLawn, Blerv and Adahn like this.
  6. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

The dragonfly and squeak are both excellent smallish knives that should be people friendly. That being said, I've had people make "weapon" comments about both of them (ridiculous I know). The only thing I haven't gotten those comments on is a SAK Cadet. I have since moved from an office job to a construction job and I now carry a 4" folder and no one so much as looks twice...

7. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Honestly I was fully intending to answer with a SAK. Victorinox is about the most office/people friendly knife company in existence. I currently carry a Black Pioneer to work everyday after being told I would have to put my Kershaw Skyline in my vehicle because "oh that's a big one" by my security officer one day. Same woman who later that day sent out the corporate weapons policy stopped by my desk the other day and didn't think twice about my black Pioneer that was open on my desk. Funny thing is the policy states no blades over 2", but as I expected no one questions a SAK.

Anyway you might look at the Case TrapperLock. A classic look and feel, with modern conveniences built in.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  8. 10i

10i Loaded Pockets

Where I work we also have a no weapons policy. I carry a small box cutter (metal frame, not plastic) as I am frequently opening and resealing boxes and cutting other stuff.

It works for what I need it to do, although I would prefer to carry a small SAK.

9. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

I just had a thought that a small classy fixed blade might work for you. I have a wilder forge that is quite people friendly, cuts great, and seems tough as nails.

This is the one I have, but there's different ones to choose from.
    [​IMG]

ManVsLawn and survivorman like this.
  10. eps5

eps5 Loaded Pockets

I've worked in IT for years and a Cybertool is very handy (the 29 is a perfect size if you don't need pliers). As the others have said the colour can make a big difference even more than size. I'd say the bigger the knife the brighter the colour of the handle ;) A Benchmade 707 might be right up your alley though:
    [​IMG]

11. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

When I'm going places where people are more sensitive I'll carry my Squeak, Cricket, or one of the Ladybug/Manbugs. The tiny SS line from Spyderco (Bug, Honeybee, etc) are also perfect. I actually gave them to barista friends and received smiles and giggles in return. :)

powerring likes this.
  12. GuyWithTheThings

GuyWithTheThings Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Dice?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

13. Cityus

Cityus Loaded Pockets

I've asked for the 531(Wont be my work knife)for my Bday so maybe I'll ask for this for christmas

14. qkarl

qkarl Loaded Pockets

With the way societal perspectives are changing, it sure does feel like one day anything more intimidating than this would get you in trouble:
    [​IMG]

For now though, my go to people-friendly knife is a SAK Cadet.

15. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I was a classroom teacher for 30+ years... these were the last two I carried daily...the Leek was from the shooter's bag at Ft Benning in 2007, but the Spyderco lightweight Walker was used for about 10 years... before that a politically incorrect Al Mar that had no utilitarian purpose :D

[​IMG]

ManVsLawn and WichitaJLJ like this.
  16. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had some lady say " what a cute little knife, it looks like Nemo." when referring to my Boker Plus Nano.
    [​IMG]

17. alexvpaq

alexvpaq Loaded Pockets

I know it's not exactly what you might be looking for but in times where carrying a full sized knife may look weird and suspicious or awkward, I carry a leatherman rebar. I usually keep it in my jacket pocket so I can easily make the switch, with my edc knife. The multi tool is not only less dangerous looking it also is very useful and there are so many models to choose from lol

sungame likes this.
  18. aerosxl

aerosxl Loaded Pockets

+1 on the multitool suggestion, although I'd suggest a Leatherman Juice. It's probably the least threatening tool/knife out there

sungame likes this.
  19. Rizzle O

Rizzle O Loaded Pockets

I work in an office environment too. Generally I pack my Buck Vantage Select, or my SOG flash 1. Awesome knives, both are light weight and have deep carry pocket clips.

20. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

Here's a Tekna. The guard retracts when you press the red button on the butt. They were sold in the 80's by Sharper Image. Geeks used to wear them in their pocket pal :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ManVsLawn and Adahn like this.