1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

knifemaking...

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by hawkeye, Aug 31, 2008.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Well, it seems that all I have accomplished is "art" with the bricks. I stuck them together temporarily, fired up a torch near the fire hole and stuck in a small piece of O1 I had trimmed from the knife. After about 20 minutes, it was just barely glowing toward one end. I also noticed the bricks were getting warm on the outside.

I hit the 'net in search of answers, and found that there are definitely two types of firebricks - the hard ones like I have, and the soft, AKA "insulating" bricks. I found a chart showing that the thermal conductivity of the hard bricks is on the order of 10 times as high as the soft ones. That explains why they just soaked up the heat, as opposed to containing it.

So, my masonry work was to no avail. :( The good news is, I have some of the proper bricks on order, as well as a few of them that a friend has graciously gotten for me from where he works. :)

I should be back on track in a day or so.

2. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

I got the insulating bricks and I'm working them now. Big difference! Pics later...

3. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Ok, here we go!

I got 4 of the proper bricks from my buddy. I started by clamping two together, and using a hole saw on an extension, proceeded to cut the channel for the interior.

[​IMG]

When the hole saw bottomed out, I separated the blocks, and gently tapped the center pieces out with a chisel. Repeat until the hole is through, or as deep as you need.

[​IMG]

These things are easy to work! Sorta like stiff styrofoam.

[​IMG]

Hole for the chamber done in all the blocks. The rear blocks can be rotated around for a shorter blade.

[​IMG]

Fire hole cut with another hole saw, and some chisel work to make a "spreader" in the opposite side.

[​IMG]

I welded together a frame from angle and I bound the bricks with ss safety wire. This is pretty much the completed rig, aside from some kind of torch mount that I will work on later.

[​IMG]

Afterglow! I ran it for a few minutes with a small piece of steel. This picture was right after I had pulled the piece out and turned off the burner.

[​IMG]

And here is my first heat treat job! I went ahead and left it in until it lost magnetic attraction, then pulled it out and dropped it in used motor oil. Once cool, I wiped it off and dropped it on the concrete. "Piiiing!" haha, it was hardened! I tried the file test and confirmed it - the file would not touch it.

I sanded it a little and then used the torch to temper it real quick. Still hard, but not so much that I can't file it. Ha! It worked perfectly! I'm so stoked now...

[​IMG]

4. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Hawk, for a post that began on Sunday August 31st, you have over 350 hits. That is pretty dang good. Keep up the good work. Many people are keeping tabs on your work. You're already doing a good job. Best of luck. :bounce:

5. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

lol, I haven't been keeping track of the hits. I've been so busy on my project, that I only get on here to post updates before I hit the rack! haha. I guess it is about the excitement of doing this from scratch, the first time. I am not much use at work lately, because I spend most of the day planning the real work once I get home! hahah.

I'm having a blast though, ya know? And I get a real kick out of the fact that you guys are interested in what I'm going through. I hope this thread will serve as a stimulus to some of you other guys to give it a try. That's why I'm posting my failures as well as my successes. Hopefully I can save people from having to deal with the wrong turns.

Stay tuned... :D

6. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

Hey Hawkeye,
    Progress looks great. :cheers: I've been checking every night after work. I've always wanted to give this a try, and after following along on your saga, it might just push me off my butt and out to the shop.
    What are you using as reference materials for the project?
    Looking forward to tomorrows installment. :popcorn: :popcorn:

Chris

7. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Bartsdad-
    Thanks much, glad you enjoy the thread! I hope you give it a shot... ;)

References include Wayne Goddard's books ("$50 Knife shop", and "the Wonder of Knifemaking"), and the internet. There really is a lot of good info out there, and google is definitely your friend!

8. Interceptor

Interceptor Empty Pockets

That is a great looking knife-in-progress. I'm watching this thread with great interest, since knife making is something I've always wanted to try. So far I've been working with pre-made blades, making a few, easy mods here and there, but I want to try my hand at making one from scratch.

One slightly dumb question: I often hear to "heat until it loses magnetism". How do you check this? Do you pull the blade out of the forge and check with a magnet, or do you (somehow) put a magnet in there?

9. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

I'll tell ya - Sticking the magnet in there kills a magnet so fast, you wouldn't believe it. I sure didn't! So the way to test is to pull the piece out, check it, then put it back in.

As for this thread, yes, the knife is still under construction. I took a slight break from this one, and have cut out a few small kiridashi - type blades to use to get the heat treating figured out. As soon as I am confident with that aspect, I'll HT this blade and continue the thread.

10. Patrick T

Patrick T Empty Pockets

Looking great! I'm building a HT furnace as we speak (type).

Patrick

11. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Here is the heat treat test. I made a little "kiridashi" style knife. I polished it up and then used mustard to age it like that. Came out kinda cool, cuts like a mother!

Also my first try with kydex. Not so great, but works. I just used the screw posts I happened to have. I need to get some eyelets and some black screwposts, but this is functional.

I've got a couple more of these to practice heat treat on, then I think I'll have it perfected.

[​IMG]

12. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

Lookin' Good! :highfive:

13. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

:popcorn:

Looking Good.

14. lukus

lukus Empty Pockets

That is looking super! Without a doubt, one of the best looking (so far) first knives I've ever seen. It's also great to see that you're taking the time to do it right. Filework is tedious but it gave you good clean bevel lines.

I'm also voting that you use your own mycarta. Seeing the quality time taken to do everything else, I'm sure the mycarta will look good.

15. Mike Grandin

Mike Grandin Loaded Pockets

:drool: Pardon the pun, but Very Sharp looking knife!! A master craftsman if there ever was one O0

16. lukus

lukus Empty Pockets

Time for an update! :popcorn:

17. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Yup, I know. I've been busy with loads of other stuff, so my shop time has been compromised. Non-existent, in fact. I finally got out there tonight to crank out some marlinspikes and do some heat treating, and realized that I had no place to work. So I spent a few hours cleaning up the garage so I can actually get something done without tripping over stuff.

I have been acquiring supplies and tools, though. Got a pro-grinder that needs a stand built and power wired in, and I have a load of cool hardwood scale pieces, some more steel, finally got some more titanium rod, abrasives, and a couple new files. I should have an update here soon with some more progress pix...

Thanks for y'all's interest!

18. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Any word on the knife? Haven't heard from ya in a while.

Excellent craftsmanship!

19. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

No updates... Been battling health issues and some other crap that has kept me out of the shop. But I'm still alive and I will finish this knife and I will make more marlinspikes and I will make more cool stuff, I promise!

20. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

I had no clue you had health problems!? If you don't mind me asking what kind of health problems?

Must be serious if it is keeping you out of the shop!

Get well soon! :hug: