1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knifeless travel

Discussion in 'Travel' started by bpa, Jun 30, 2011.

1. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Everyone has a different idea on what is a weapon or not. When I walked into the courthouse I saw the sign about weapons not being allowed, and that bringing in a weapon could result in a felony and what not. I remember thinking to myself "I don't have any weapons on me, who would bring a weapon in a courthouse?" I knew I had my knife on me, but at the time knife != weapon.

2. doug_the_donut

doug_the_donut Loaded Pockets

I have a small concern about flying from the US with a few multi-tools. (LM Surge, PS4, a SAK). As long as I keep them in my main luggage that I send in, it should be no problem right?

3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Legally, there should be no problem with that. I would take measures to protect them from theft, though.

4. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

I don't know if it is TSA approved, although the ads say it is, but Wenger makes their small classic SAK without the blade and with an added nail clipper. I've been considering it. I don't put blades on my keys because of travel. All my tools are on a second ring that I can easily remove and set aside if I need to board a plane. The little classic without a knife might be an exception I can live with on my keys.

5. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

That's the Wenger Air Traveler. I flew with it last weekend. Before going through the TSA x-ray machine, I opened each tool and placed it in it's own bin. After the x-ray, the TSA agent took a closer look and handed it back. He also thanked me for making sure that the tool came to his attention. "It makes my job a lot easier."

6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Having worked security for 5 years, that sounds like one lazy as Hell Screener.

Don't misunderstand, certain posts require more effort and attention than others. What the screeners do isn't one of those. Not a difficult job in even the most remote sense of the word. Just mind-numbingly boring. Often you feel fatigued instead of tired.

7. Froggy

Froggy Loaded Pockets

Man im loving that. I may pick one of those up soon!!!

8. canook

canook Loaded Pockets

Swissbianco had asked for suggestions for a bladeless SAK a few months ago on Bladeforums. Not sure how far along the project is though.

9. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I find it funny when someone says they have no use for a pocket knife when I use mine daily. Each to their own though. I travel quite a bit in the states so I've always got a pocket knife with me as I usually have to drive. On the occasion I need to fly, depending on the length of stay of my trip, I'll ship my pocket knife to my hotel and then I'll drop it in an inter-office mail envelope and send it home. Internationally, I'll through a SAK in my shaving kit in my checked luggage. They aren't intimidating so I don't think anyone thinks much of them when they see them. Just my thoughts.....

10. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Laugh your heart out. I use my knife maybe twice in week, and not at all when I'm flying. If scissors don't work, I just use what's left of my teeth.

11. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Loaded Pockets

I'm with you pal. I have stopped going places where I'm not trusted to be armed.

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Those are the idiots who use their keys or even their teeth. And somehow believe that makes them more modern or sophisticated than the guy who carries around even a small pocket knife.

13. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

I am not sofistikatd. I carry a Boeker keycomm when I am not flying, which I use maybe twice a week. But I generally do not need a knife when I fly, so why bother?

14. vakers

vakers Loaded Pockets

Ditto to Accessory Man

15. vakers

vakers Loaded Pockets

I use travel as an excuse to pick up another knife from the want list, then mail it home to myself on the way to the airport.

16. paustin

paustin Loaded Pockets

I don't travel anywhere that I can't carry a knife or even a firearm. The only place that Iv'e been lately that didn't allow me to carry a firearm was federal court (I am a police sergeant). I don't travel to Disney world or any places similar that don't want you to carry a knife. I know people who have been that have told me to put the knife in my pocket so the clip doesn't show but I am not going to change my habits because uneducated people don't want me to have a tool, that's right a knife is a tool and liberal governments want them to be taken away.

17. Rainiers

Rainiers Loaded Pockets

A small pair of scissors lives in my dopp kit, and that's enough to get by. There're too many things I want to see and do in this life to let restrictions on pocket knives keep me at home.

18. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Well put! There are some places where it is simply asking for trouble to go, but nowhere in the world is perfectly safe, regardless of what rights the government affords its citizens or what kind of tools, weapons, or body armor you're carrying.

Some people may choose to stay well within their comfort zone, and I can see and respect their point of view.

I just hope they can see and respect ours, as well. :cheers:

19. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Friggin aye!

One can live in a small world, playing with your toys, or travel and see, and learn. I feel a bit of pity for those who can't see beyond their obsessions. There's no describing the thrill of touring the Colloseum in Rome, and admire a building built 2000 years before power tools. Or wandering the British museum, or standing in the middle of Stone Henge on a gray misty day and imagining the dedication of the ancients to do what seemed impossible.

There's so much more to life than carrying a knife!

Having said all that, whom is asking you to travel knifeless?

I've put a small sak in my checked baggage and it's always been there when I get to my hotel at the other end. I've traveled the width of England with a sak waiter in my pocket with no trouble. Even in London. I carried a sak classic all over Rome with no problem, and it cut everything I needed to cut. When it came time to fly home, we just checked our bags. No problemo.

20. Rainiers

Rainiers Loaded Pockets

Me: I hate checking bags. :laugh: