1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knifeless Multi tool on Carry-on?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Certifiedfryguy, Oct 15, 2010.

1. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I carry a Gerber Dime Travel. It has been through security at various European airports perhaps 40 times without major trouble. The couple of times it has been picked out (at Schiphol) it was quickly passed, usually after only a glance at the word "travel".

2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I'm going back to Disney World next month and am wondering if I want to deal with my Leatherman PS ordeal. It's never been bad, but I only use the tool for air travel and only end up using the scissors at most. I wonder if the Coghlan's folding scissors would get through without any hassle.

3. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

What did you wind up taking? I’m going in November.

4. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I saw your post and was about to buy at this on Amazon since I'm traveling to the Philippines next week. But then I went to the Gerber site:

https://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Tools/Butterfly-Opening/dime-travel_31-002777

And saw two posts were people reported their Gerber being confiscated by TSA.

5. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, this is the problem with TSA having “discretion”. Anything can be confiscated under the guise of an agent’s individual discretion. I have had or know someone who has had items, specifically listed as Ok on the TSA webpage, confiscated. I had to request to higher level supervisor when traveling with a medical self-injector kit, which had the prescription label clearly stuck on the outside of the container.

Moshe ben David, garza and kikaida like this.
  6. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

And that's so sad. I flew for the first time in 12 years last December, and the TSA agents were so rude, both in my departure airport and my arrival airport as I was coming home. Prior to that, I flew many times after 9/11 and they weren't like that before. I don't know what has changed, but I don't trust any of them anymore not to confiscate something that's supposedly ok on their list. I'll just put my things in my checked baggage then. TSA is NOT consistent. One person might be able to get their gear on the plane, while another will have theirs confiscated. I guess I should count myself lucky that they didn't confiscate my flashlight.

And now I have go through them again next week.....just frigging great. :mad::mad::mad:

7. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

It seems the TSA agents are rude more than not nowadays. I wonder if it is just their attitude or from dealing with rude people all the time.

I do know though that there are some good ones out there. I remember going through Syracuse airport a couple years back and they were so polite that I actually had to compliment them. The supervisor was like “we are just doing our job, nothing special” and I told him it was how they were doing their job and it was special. He thanked me, then apologized that I didn’t have the same experience other places.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Not just on this thread but cruising through EDCF tonite I've noticed quite a few comments about recent issues with rudeness, bad attitudes, etc from TSA. Looking at some of these, @kikaida as an example (not singling you out except for the time frame you mentioned...), I wonder how many of these instances happened during the 'partial Fed shutdown' (thanks to the Con Artist in Chief!) during which TSA agents were working but not receiving their paychecks? Yes, I know they did get paid ultimately, but at the time many were in a world of hurt due to lack of cash flow....!

I used to travel constantly; these days not. So I don't really know how long these poor attitudes were in place...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

kikaida likes this.
  9. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

@Moshe ben David During my travels, the attitude of the TSA started deteriorating years before the government shut down. It is worse at certain airports such as Newark Liberty.

kikaida likes this.
  10. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I agree. For me Mobile was the worst. I was treated like criminal just about everytime I went through that airport.

11. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Dallas Love Field is a breeze compared to DFW. Attitudes by TSA agents vary greatly.

This happened to me at Love, my wife had placed laundry detergent in a ziplock. The TSA agent said he just needed to run a test to verify. DFW I was questioned about jeweler screwdrivers which are legal for carryon according to the TSA website.

kikaida and SOS24 like this.