1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife vs multitool EDC

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Darth_Revan, Mar 22, 2021.

?

Which one do you EDC? (everyday,everywhere,ALWAYS)

1. Knife only

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Multitool only

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Both knife and multitool

30 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Just one of them EVERYWHERE and another one in bag/car/etc.

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I have a style ps, but I rarely carry it as part of my EDC. I never intended for it to be used that way, as I believe it’s just too small. I bought- and use it mainly for some outdoor applications.
    If I were to carry a MT every day, I think maybe the juice series hits the sweet spot between usefulness and carry-ability. Haven’t tried one, so that’s just a guess. And a believe the tool combinations I consider most useful are discontinued. Even with something as small as a juice, I don’t think there is a very high probability I will find it justifiable to carry in the long run, so I haven’t bothered to try it out.
    I work with electronics and there are some tools I find myself needing on a regular basis, but those are not really a combination you often find in compact multi tools. Besides I’m quite content with my current system, so I don’t see myself changing out much, unless something new and clearly better suited comes along.

2. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I usually carry a Gerber Multiplier from the 80's in a belt sheath around the house or yard. I prefer the one-handed pliers with the flat nose.

Otherwise, I will carry a Wingman, Rev or Skeletool in a pocket with the clip. I will carry a Wave or a Juice in a Leatherman nylon belt sheath with pockets.

While out running errands, I will wear a Maxped Janus as a sling pack and drop one in there with hand sanitizer, phone headset, etc.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

3. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Loaded Pockets

Yes, the juice series are the sweet spot. They have a lot of nice tools and aren't that big/heavy. However, it already has a blade, and if you dont carry stuff in your belt, but in your pocket ( or keychain like me) it might be too much to carry a juice and a knife. And I dont want to discard the knife, so I'm gonna try the Style PS.
    What combination you want that you can't find?

4. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Loaded Pockets

Do you feel the need to carry a dedicated knife, even while edcing a MT with a good knife, like the Skeetool?

5. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I don't feel the need but the multitool blades are in the 2.5 in. range. It serves as a great backup for opening a package or cutting some string but seems to take more time for me to get it out no matter how I carry it - and usually with two hands.

Today, I happened to gather a few red gingers from the yard. The stalk is about 2 in. in diameter and 6+ feet high. (not my photo)

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

6. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying a LM large MT on my hip since the first LM Multi-Tool. Currently carrying a Surge with extra bits and extension in a Skinth XL. I also have a LM Squirt ES4 in my pocket. I have a 3.5~4" folder in the other pocket. (I rotate my blades).
    That is my minimum EDC.

7. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

No doubt a knife is easier on the pocket, but I find myself needing small pliers to squeeze, turn, bend or unbend something and/or wire cutters, enough to cause me to supplement my knife with a compromise multi tool...a Leatherman Squirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[​IMG]

#27 dmattaponi, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
  8. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

A multi-tool is useful enough that it's worth carrying the weight. I made a leather pocket organizer to sit in a back pocket that holds a multi-tool (LM Free P4), 18650 flashlight, and 3.5" folding knife. With just that you could call yourself prepared enough for most common situations, and that just takes up one pocket. This small amount of gear is so easy to carry I recommend everybody should (especially gear guys here!).

This was the original version. I've since made a new one out of giraffe skin, but it's structured the same. Flashlight and Leatherman have been upgraded, still carrying the same Ripple, though.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by MedusaOblongata, Mar 26, 2021
    #28 MedusaOblongata, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  9. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I voted for carrying both a knife and a MT. The MT I edc all the time everywhere on my keychain is the LM Style PS. I work in a school, so having a knife-less multitool is great because I don't have to constantly add/remove it from my keys. When I'm not at work, I'll have a SAK and another small folder to back up the Style PS. If you want to carry a pliers based MT on your keychain, the PS is the way to go. It's light enough to make carrying it easy, but its pliers, scissors, nail file, and tweezers are quite handy.

I also have a prytool on my keys. While most MT's have some sort of screwdriver tool that can be used for prying, nothing beats a prytool/one piece multitool when you need to pry open a door/hatch, open/break down cardboard boxes, etc.

When I need a bigger MT, I carry a SOG Power Pint or a LM Wingman. I typically carry those MTs in the 5th pocket of my jeans. The Wingman's clip always loosens up, so the 5th pocket helps keep it from sliding around. The Power Pint's pliers are easy to open, but they can open up inside a pocket, so the 5th pocket prevents that. I like the blades on the Power Pint, but they're on the small side, so having a bigger blade is better for tasks like food prep or for using a blade with gloves on. The blade on the wingman is a combo blade which I detest, so I tend to use that only for rougher tasks and carry a knife for food prep and other more detailed tasks.

I also like having both a knife and a MT because I like to carry a tool on each side of my body. That way if one of my hands is busy, I can still get to a tool without having to reach across to get at a pocket on the other side of my pants.

dmattaponi likes this.
  10. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I carry both all day every day.
    Actually I lied, I actually carry six multi tools, as well as my beloved 110. The 110 gets it's own sheath, multi tools all live in Nite Ize Pock-it's XL.
    Multi tools are:
    a early 90's vintage Gerber Multi plier,
    a unbranded archery based multi tool
    a vintage Radio Shack version of a Leatherman ES4 (like a PS4, but with wire strippers as opposed to a standard pliers head)
    a Leatherman PS4
    a Leatherman Micra
    a late 90's vintage Vise Grips Toolbox, the lobster claw version
    I almost forgot to mention I also carry a Leatherman Raptor,

11. InLine4

InLine4 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

My Spyderco Autonomy in my left pocket clipped.

CRKT CEO clipped on my shirt.

SAK Super Tinker in a sheath on my right belt clip.

Don’t really carry the cheap OTF.

The rest stay in my EDC bag.

Call me crazy but I carry the rest of them with me at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Enemy Combatant

Enemy Combatant Loaded Pockets

Knife.

Though I wish I could find something to carry in matte black like the Gerber Dime (which I own) which doesn't have the protruding bottle opener.

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I carry a dedicated folding knife, but I almost always have a Vic Manager or Rambler with me, too, so I guess that counts as a multitool.

14. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I voted knife since the OP specified SAKs as knives and is considering MT as those with pliers. I usually carry one of several small or medium size locking folders,Vic Compact,Vic Classic and my recently acquired Christy knife.Generally I don't feel the need to have pliers on my person but I do keep MTs in my bags and cars.

15. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

I EDC a Leatherman Juice & a SOG Vulcan....works for me. ;^)

16. mcb91

mcb91 Empty Pockets

I would rather go with just a multi-tool than just a knife. Most multi-tools have a knife blade although not as ergonomic to use as a dedicated knife. During the week I usually have a Skeletool in the pocket and Style CS/PS on the keyring. In the evenings and weekends I switch to a Surge on the belt and a Kershaw Cryo II in the pocket with the Style still on the keyring.

17. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Actually a LM Supertool 300 and a LionSteel PPC Occam green Micarta.
    Going heavyly but safely... :)

microbe and Lateck like this.
  18. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

While I love my Leatherman squirt, thats the limit of my multitool. With SAK's I never got beyond two layers, and even then the smaller SAK's like the executive and 58mm's were more often carried. I will team up a small multitool like the squirt, or ev en a micra, with a dedicated knife. Most times I'm reaching in my pocket its for a knife to cut something, open a box/package, whatever.

If I had to pick one over the other, I'd go with a dedicated knife, and leave the multitool home. For many years, I got by with a pocket knife, and a Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver and my old P-38 in my wallet. Those two small flat items took care of flat and Phillips screws, opening cans, opening beer bottles, light prying open of cans of putty, Plastic wood filler, small paint cans, scraping, and and the Sear's keychain screw driver even spread some cream cheese on a bagel once for lack of a better tool.

All during the 60's, 70's, and 80's, the combination of those three items, a pocket knife, Sear's keychain screw driver, and P-38, let me take care of an extremely wide variety of life's little problems. Loose screws on a firearm, small adjustments on finicky carburetors on an old motorcycle out on the road, opening C-ration cans in the field, whatever. BUT...and heres the big 'but...I've never found a multitool that was as good a pocket knife as a real pocket knife. I've never been a fan of the Leatherman, especially the big ones, as they always seemed to me a solution in search of a non existent problem. I've never found a multitool that performed as well as a real tool. Is I kept a small tool kit on my mororcycle, in the truck of my old VW, and under the seat of my old Vespa P200.

Yeah, yeah, I know the story, Tim Leatherman was on vacation in Europe and needed tools to work on the old car he was driving, so he invented the multitool. For far less coast than a Leatherman tool, I can buy and put in a small pouch a real screw driver, a real small adjustable wrench, small pliers. If I go with a small pair ov Vise Grips, I can ditch the adjustable wrench and have a very small more effective kit than a Leatherman tool.

I'm a pocket knife guy, always have been. I always disdained the multitool thing on the theory that they are not that handy in real life, but I made an exception for the squirt when someone gave me one to experiment with. In the case of the squirt I found the little pliers handy for an aging septuagenarian with arthritis in some finger joints and hands from a lifetime of cranking on milling machines and lathes. In my life, I've always been able to deal with whatever loose screws or screws needing to be removed, with my trusty Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver. But when I need to cut, I want a real knife. One not attached to a wad of tools I don't need at that moment.

Of late, since I was gifted a Gerber LST magnum like used to carry in the 1980's, 90's, and into the early 2000's, I've actually gone back to carrying my basic 1980's EDC; a pocket knife, (the Gerber) my old Sear's 4 way screw driver and P-38 stashed in my wallet. So far I've done just fine. Felt with some screws, opened a can for the practice, and used the ever loving heck out of the Gerber to open packages, slice some nice Jarlsburg cheese to eat with some nice sliced baguette out in the woods on a hike with my wife. The old Gerber LST did way better than a multitool for food duty in the woods.

I'm a knife guy, and always will be. Multitools are fine, but not for me.

A.B. likes this.
  19. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Giving the Leatherman Bond a try. It’s a nice minimalist full size Multitool that is pretty easy on the pocket. I like it a lot...possibly my favorite multitool, BUT I have not found any multitool that suits me well enough to replace my venerable Vic Swiss Army knives as EDC. The Leatherman compliments the SAK, but doesn’t replace it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A.B. likes this.
  20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Do you have a Wave to which to compare the Bond? For two more ounces, the Wave adds a lot of utility. It's pocketable in jeans or even heavy khakis.