1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife vs multitool EDC

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Darth_Revan, Mar 22, 2021.

?

Which one do you EDC? (everyday,everywhere,ALWAYS)

1. Knife only

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Multitool only

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Both knife and multitool

30 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Just one of them EVERYWHERE and another one in bag/car/etc.

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Loaded Pockets

Ok, I know a lot of threads discuss the uses of knives versus multitools, but I found none that has a pool. I was going to post this in MT section, but I am more intersted in the answers of people that carry a knife over the MT, since the MT is a more complete tool.

I carry a folding knife with me about 10 years and I am always upgranding my knife. Around the same time I bought a Leatherman Charge and it is just incredible. However it is big and heavy to carry, since I don't like to carry anything in my belt/trousers (don't even use belt). So I stick with my knife.

Sometimes I wish I had a multitool with me, often to use the screwdriver (flat and philips). The pliers are also a good tool (especially to work with wires). So, I was wondering if it was a good idea to change my knife for a multitool. I carry my stuff in my keychain, my knife is small and light, less than 10cm (about 3in). So I bought a Leatherman Juice CS4 and it's a nice tool too. It is a bit bulky and heavy for my keychain, though.

I don't know if the scredrivers and pliers justify this extra weight. So I am looking for a Gerber Shard. I also love to have a knife with me, so I will probably stick with knife+Shard to see if this works. My shard should arrive this week now.

Ok, what I wanted to know is how many of you carry only a knife, only a MT and both. Also would love to know why you made that decision. Please, consider MT only tools that have pliers (I consider SAK as knives, and would ask you to do that too for that pool).

Also, when I say EDC, I mean everday, everywhere. If you leave your house any day without your tool/knife, you are not edcing for the purpose of this pool. I do carry my Charge in my bag, but it is not always with me, since I'm not always with my bag. The knife is in my keychain, so I don't leave the house without it.

PS: Would like to know how you carry them too (pocket, sheat). Oh and any picture is welcome, of course.

2. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Does a SAK fall into the category of knife or multitool?

Leon68 and Tallboyjim like this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry both in some form all of the time and I need to do real work or at least be ready to so I do not carry the tiniest of either usually.

I think you might be doing yourself a real disservice leaving out the SAK too as many have everything you need in one slick small package and it is hard to imagine a better smaller MT than a Cadet or Mechanic or Cybertool to me?

I NEVER use the knife in a MT either except for the SAK.

post tenebras likes this.
  4. Darth_Revan

Knife

HeadOffice likes this.
  5. Darth_Revan

How do you carry them?

The best tool of the MT is the pliers. And the saks don't have them. The other saks tools I believe could be covered by the Gerber Shard. The saks with more tools sre heavier. Also, I find the redundancy o thr sak blade unnecessary. Just more weight...

6. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Two pocket knives: a large 3.25"-4" locking folder and a medium slipjoint, on-body, every day.
    Two Multi-tools: a cheap Winchester full-size tool and a small Gerber Shortcut multi-scissor, both in my EDC bag.

7. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

SAK and a fixed blade

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am pretty sure that the best tool in a MT is the one that is best for each of us and for me it is the Screwdriver which is why I carry a Centerdrive usually along with a Knife.
    The Spirit X arguably has better pliers but I switched for the standard driver bit feature for which the CD is named.

2 of the 3 SAK that I mentioned do indeed have pliers.
    There is also the outstanding Boker Tech Tool also with pliers.
    They are not the best pliers but are a lot better than they first appear once you have used them.

And yes there are more knives then than I need especially since I will never use the SAK blade if I am also carrying a knife.

I carry the SAK in my pocket loose.
    I use a Skinth on my belt for the bigger MT.

9. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

As often is the case, i do both. Bugout FLP, and a itsy bitsy multitool RF beltloop. I have the scissors, but there is a version with pliers for those that nned such a thing. I find i need the scissors more. Both so lightweight that I hardly notice they are there before I need them[​IMG]

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

ran23 and post tenebras like this.
  10. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

This looks more like me: a folder and a multitool. The Leatherman Style PS with pliers and scissors is what I prefer. I want a Leatherman Skeletool with scissors in lieu of a blade. That would be perfect for me.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

11. Darth_Revan

Sure. I meant that the differential tool in most MT are the pliers. The rest are just as good as the ones we find in SAKs. The pliers in SAKs, however are too small and frail compared to a regular MT. Also they don't seem to have the wire cutting edge, while MT do.

12. Darth_Revan

Nice knife and MT. You mean the Leatherman PS. This one seems to be the CS. I looked for it and it seems to be way lighter than the LM CS4. And it doesnt have a blade, so I will not add extra useless weigth on blades while still carrying my knife.

It could have a philips screwdriver and can opener, though. As well as more different sizes scredrivers/scrapers. I don't know if it could replace the Gerber Shard and all its features...

13. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Tools-a-plenty where I work and at home. No need for pliers when I'm out and about.

14. keycutter

keycutter Loaded Pockets

I carry a knife daily in a little pocket organizer with a torch and a pen. In my watch pocket I carry a sak sd classic. I don’t really ever use the blade in the sak but I use the rest of the tools regularly especially the scissors. I am currently a food delivery driver or gig worker so my daily needs aren’t much. I do carry a leatherman and a variety of other tools in my bag daily but not on me all the time. When I was a maintenance man at a hotel I carried a leatherman on my belt and rarely took it off after work. Basically what I’m getting at is because my regular tool needs are different I change my carry to my needs. I often wish both victorinox and leatherman had a build your own section of there website as I believe many of us would love the ability to pick and choose the greatest configuration for our needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post tenebras, EZDog and A.B. like this.
  15. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

SAK scissors all the way. Pair it with a fixed blade and you're set.

keycutter likes this.
  16. keycutter

keycutter Loaded Pockets

After reading my earlier post again and thinking about it further I realized that I actually think of my little pocket organizer as a mulititool. I also realized that I wouldn’t mind carrying a full sized leatherman or similar tool with pliers on my belt if I made or purchased a more low profile sheath. I’ve always wanted to try and make/ wear a multi tool in a slanted pancake leather sheath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I’ve settled on just carrying a knife for EDC. I used to EDC a multitool way back, before I even knew about EDC, but I was doing more hands on work back then, so the weight was justifiable. Also I knew nothing about pocketknives and wasn’t aware of any pocket friendly alternatives.
    These days, I just can’t justify the weight and bulk penalty. I do bring along a backpack with a MT most days, but it’s not always within reach when I need a tool, so I understand your question and I always try to think of new ways to incorporate my most frequently needed tools into my EDC in a way that I’m willing to endure.
    So far I prefer just a dedicated knife. And the reason is pretty simple; a very capable locking folder can be made very small, light and comfortable to carry, while still being safe, ergonomic and easy to deploy and re-pocket.
    I’ve also found that I’m rarely very far from a work bench, tool kit or my backpack when I need a screw driver or a plier etc., but the same is not as often true with regards to situations where I could need a knife.
    I also keep a small pry bar in my wallet. It’s not very often I need it, but it’s nice to have a more rudimentary tool available so I’m not tempted to use my knife for non-knife tasks.

And just to state the obvious; more often than not, we have some idea in advance if I might be needing more- or specific tools, so that’s another reason why the MT isn’t all that critical.

All in all, for me MTs as an on body EDC would mostly be just a comfort item that sometimes saves me the hassle of walking across the room or across the drive way to the trunk of my car to get my MT or dedicated tool, and that doesn’t make up for the comfort I’m giving up by carrying one.

[​IMG]
    A typical EDC for me. Knife, watch and flashlight is changed out from time to time, depending on what I’m doing or just because I want to. The wallet with the flat prybar inside is a mainstay, the pen stays pretty much the same too.

[​IMG]
    The backpack i carry most days

keycutter likes this.
  18. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I carry a multitool and a 4 inch folder around the yard most days and happy to do it.

Yesterday, there was a a small piece of wire that I needed to untie and tie back and tighten an electrical outlet cover screw near my fence. The walk back to the house is 7 or 8 minutes uphill. Its a big yard.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

ran23 and keycutter like this.
  19. Darth_Revan

I understand you completely. I am also very seldom away from my MT, since i had them in my home, car and bsg that i bring to work.
    However, if I am in a friend's house or just outside without my car, I won't have any MT.

I am considering getting a style PS for my keychain, it seems light and small. Have you ever considered it?

20. Darth_Revan

Which MT you carry and how?