1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

knife storage

Discussion in 'Knives' started by robotlogik, Dec 22, 2011.

1. robotlogik

robotlogik Loaded Pockets

used to just throw my knives in a drawer. recently got this great case from amazon for 10 bucks. its called a plano single pistol case. big enough for me because i am not going to be buying more knives in the near future. just wondering how you guys store your pocket knives when not in use. please post pics if you can. if i posted this in the wrong place, i am sorry.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Also checkout Countrycomms knife cases! I've got 2 and they are pretty nice!

3. robotlogik

i didn't know they sold those. looks awesome. love that it has a molle attachment. i am still interested in getting something like this for my 5.11 bag.

4. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Great idea!

But I gotta tell ya, I choked on my coffee, when I read this part of your post:

i am not going to be buying more knives in the near future.

:crackup:

Unless you are sending this from Death Row, and about to take that last gurney ride into the gas chamber, you have just jinxt yerself.

;D

5. Funkybassplayer

Funkybassplayer Loaded Pockets

I use the same kind of case to hold two of my scopes. They fit perfectly and I know they are safe and secure. Never thought abou knives though

-BTO-

6. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Will borrow your idea,and thanx! Just measured; those cases will fit between gun stocks in the safe.

I might suggest you add small 'recycled' dessicant packs,to prevent corrosion over time.
    Free, at your local pharmacy,if you take them a container to save them for you in, and ask nicely.
    (Every bulk bottle of RX that they receive contains the tiny dessicant packs....that they pitch after opening,usually.)
    I drop them in with my dies & tools & anything that has the potential to rust.
    Twice a year,I change 'em out & pitch the old ones.

To the Original Poster: PM me your address; I'll mail you some fresh 'recycled' dessicants.

7. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

I just throw them in a drawer? Actually, I have a cigar box that I keep all my non-current pocket type stuff in.

8. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

You can put the old dessicant packs in the oven at very low heat and remove any accumulated moisture too.

9. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

Try tossing them in the freezer actually. Some of the paper these things are in are plastinated, and heat can dork them up. Freezers are micro humidity environments, and suck moisture out of the dessicant products pretty well. The one I use in my safe is freezer only for performance reasons.

10. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Didn't know that, thanks! I live in a dry climate so really have not used them much! See we just keep on learning new things here, love this place!

11. TCC

TCC Loaded Pockets

I'll be picking up one of those cases soon. Thanks for the idea!

12. robotlogik

i found a few of the silica gel packets in some old shoe boxes. good idea for keeping it all dry, thank you.

13. BikerTrash

BikerTrash Loaded Pockets

Nice case OP, but I am a Pelican case fan (nut), and I recently stumbled upon the perfect size Pelican (1170) at a retail store for $50, which I bought later on Amazon for $34.
    I made 9 slots at 5" x 1/2" (foam is 1 1/2" deep) that fits 3.5-3.75" knives great, and a slot for the 3" XM-18 at 4", with a 1/2" square above it for the Hinderer tool.

[​IMG]

14. inmypocket

inmypocket Empty Pockets

700+ in safety deposit box at bank..200 or so in various places around the house. I have a knife problem ..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

15. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

You need a big @55ed safe in your house so you can access your toys easier!!

16. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

A-freakin-Mazing!

I didn't know ~$7K worth of grail knives would fit in an 1170 unless it had no foam!

Speaking of foam, where'dja get the foam? Its obviously not regular pick 'n' pluck...

And howdja cut it?

17. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

It looks like the standard pick 'n' pluck foam that comes with the Pelicans.

There was a forum member selling used Pelican cases at good prices. You'd just have to order new foam.

18. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

grayman,

I have some new & used Pelicans & new foam, but their pick 'n' pluck is all 1" squares...I thought!

19. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Look at the picture, the first three knives at the top, it looks like you can see the seam. Those slots also have to be big enough to accomodate the pocket clips and it doesn't have that undersized cutout look. I say that because I just used some 1640 for laptop transport and undersize the slots to ensure they'd hold securely during transport. It was pretty obvious once they were loaded. I could be wrong too.

20. BikerTrash

BikerTrash Loaded Pockets

Gnarly, that is just the stock Pick n Pluck foam, and it is 1/2" squares. And thanks, it did turn out nice!