1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife Rights in the NY Times

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jugoretz, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Can't speak for others, but as a NYC resident; I appreciate the fact that you are educating others.

2. soulpatch

soulpatch Loaded Pockets

Plain and simple, no matter what laws get passed, criminals are criminals, if they are going to carry a knife to do harm to another they're going to, they don't care what the law says. A pen or pencil can kill a person almost as easily as any knife, so will they become illeagal next, and what about kitchen knives? For every bad guy the police take a knife off of ten more probably walk by the same officers with a concealed weapon, this isn't said to knock the police, but the police obviously can't be everywhere or search everyone. The biggest problem here though is the simple fact that most people don't look at knives the same way as they have in the past. I work in a retail cutlery store and listening to the people that come can be interesting and often infuriating. I had a women come in one time to look at kitchen knives and I cut something while she was there with my Spyderco Lava(1 1/2"-2" blade) and she was all freaked out when I pulled it out. The woman asked me "what do you carry that for", and I told for just what I'm doing opening packages or whatever I need it for on a daily bases just like my father always did, and didn't really seem to ease her mind. I think it's ridiculous that 30-40 yrs. ago almost every man alive would be carrying a pocketknife, and now you're a criminal for carrying man's oldest tool!

3. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

funny isn't it? i have a vintage Sabatier 12" carbon steel hand forged chef's knife. after working it on a 1000/6000grit water stone it is sharp enough to cut your throat before you even know you're hit, but because it doesn't have a pocket clip/thumbstud/etc. it's not on anyone's radar.

to expand your point, my grandfather was in charge of his furniture factory's payroll. this was back when you could elect to be paid in cash on Friday as you clocked out. he carried a bobbed .38 revolver in his overall pocket for probably 20 years. never fired it, but it was a practical tool.

4. xX_CENTURION_Xx

xX_CENTURION_Xx Empty Pockets

Due to our new governor Scott Walker (A republican, I didn't vote for him, but I'm still going to make the best of the situation) laws to allow for concealed carry licenses are extremely likely to be passed in Wisconsin. They have been introduced in the past, but were vetoed by the old governor. As such, we are one of two states to not have any ability for concealed carry.

However, the last set of laws to be introduced allowed licensing to carry any firearm or knife, EXCEPT a "Switchblade". A few friends and I who are knife/gun nuts are going to try to write some letters or something to try to get that changed. Because I don't see how anyone can consider a very fast opening knife, or a balisong (which is what I really want to own) more dangerous than a handgun.