1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife Rights in the NY Times

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jugoretz, Dec 5, 2010.

1. jugoretz

jugoretz Loaded Pockets

Front page of the NY Times this morning, a profile (only slightly condescending and mystified) of the movement for knife rights. A big emphasis on Arizona as the "knife carrier's dream," and some description of the very confusing and irrational patchwork of laws we find in most other states.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/us/05knives.html

Pretty much an "outsider's" view, but not a bad article, overall, and the pictures are fun, too.

2. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

I'm happy for Arizona. I think loosening up the knife laws is a good thing. Like the article says, if you want to use something as a weapon, you can do damage with any knife. Or really, just about anything for that matter. My biggest concern is the local knife laws. It can really cause uncertainty. They did away with the local laws in Arizona. I wish they would do the same here in California.

3. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Ok, I'll bite and do a mini-rant on knife inconsistencies that annoy me.

Blade length. Is there REALLY a huge difference between a knife that's 2.5 inches and one that's 3? How about 4? If your argument is that knives over "this" length are dangerous, why the differences, even from city to city?

Opening mechanism. "Gravity knives are bad". Really. Congressman, I'll give YOU a butterfly knife. See if you can open it before I can get my waved Endura in a ready-to-rock position.

Concealed. A knife riding my pocket with the clip showing. Some places consider that open-carry. Others consider it concealed. For this reason alone I'm laughing my pants off when pocketing a flashlight clipped to my right front. I WANT someone to freak, just to see how stupid they look.

Lock. I think it's hilarious that some countries (I'm looking at you UK) consider locking knives to be more dangerous than non-locking ones. Tell me a straight razor isn't as dangerous as a Delica. Tell me box cutters can't take down a plane. When it comes to a knife's lock, I just want to tell you that I enjoy my fingers.

What about you?

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

The NY Times is failing financially. Been that way for awhile. It's turned into a sad rag that has no clue how to do propaganda the right way, namely; "subtle."

If outhouses were still common, you could use that rag as improvised toilet-paper. That's how they did it in the old days.

5. papacrapas87

papacrapas87 Loaded Pockets

good article. didn't know that happened in nh and az.
    hope all the states get rid of all / most of their knife laws...

we should be catching criminals and not making law-abiding citizens the perps...

6. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

Very nice.....

7. bozatron

bozatron Loaded Pockets

There are some good words right there - well said defuse kit, I willing rant along with you.

8. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

No, this is subtle for them. Problem for them is we have more choices in information sources. They've been caught once too often slanting the news so far, it tips over onto the floor. At best, I don't think they understand that; at worse, they don't care since they think they're correct and we're idiots who don't matter.

I don't think it would make good TP, it's too soiled all ready.

9. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

oh, but according to NYC, anything you can 'flick' open with your wrist is an evil "gravity knife"! i've had two cases in the last year where a Buck 110 (or knockoff) was deemed a gravity knife.

10. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

By New York Times standards, that was a fair piece of journalism. It actually presented both sides of the argument and didn't blatantly portray either side as right or wrong.

It subtly did so by comparing the knife rights movement to the gun rights movement, thus implicitly agreeing that all knives are weapons, not tools. But, hey, what do you expect from the NYT?

The article did make me want to move to Arizona even more, now.

11. 1finite

1finite Empty Pockets

Arizona? Why not NH? No knife laws at all!

12. papacrapas87

Manhattan DA needs to get his panties out of a bunch and figure out that people need knives in everyday life...
    ****er's gonna start banning nail clippers soon

13. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Stupid isn't it? If the theory is to discourage using them as weapons, well, that only matters for rapid deployment. If you're looking to make a first strike, you can take as long as you want to open the knife BEFORE you attack someone.

Who could possibly need rapid deployment? Oh right, someone getting attacked. Someone responding to an emergency. Y'know, law abiding citizens. What a bunch of morons.

14. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

it's sad, really. i feel sorry for anyone who thinks this kind of kneejerk/feelgood legislation is of any benefit. here or abroad. by definition, criminals don't obey laws.....

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

In my opinion, and that's all that it is, the Manhattan DA is just a power-hungry politician. I don't think for a moment that he believes his antics will actually reduce violent crime in NYC. Two things do get accomplished though . . .

1- Extorting money from legitimate businesses. Revenue for the city, and a power-trip for him.
    2- When he runs for a higher office, he can point to his antics as a show of "Taking the iniciative in reducing crime."

Makes him look good. And, there are a buttload of hoplophobes living in NYC who will swallow the ridiculous claims he makes.

16. papacrapas87

Totally agree with you. I had to deal with an assistant DA out in Queens a few years ago when I was a victim of mugging.
    ***** treated me like ~I~ was the criminal, threatening me with arrest when she insisted I show up for deposition... again, with no proper legal documentation.
    Seems like the only thing distinguishing them from criminals is the suit they wear and the title they have

17. BCKane

BCKane Empty Pockets

In an earlier thread i mentioned the requirement for a blade in NYC to be under 3" and was corrected by another forum member that it was under 4" (with the statute to back it up). Funny because the guys i got the 3" information from was the NYPD and NY/NJ PA. I was continually told that the blade length didn't really matter because the officers would make a judgement call and confiscate anything they felt was threatning, independent of actual law and blade size.

On a side note, i never had a problem EDCing a folding blade under 3" even if it was assited opening. I was in constant contact with LEO and FLE and never had a problem (including subway inspections).

18. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

as a NY LEO, i'll be the first to admit that many LEOs have -no idea- about what makes a knife legal or illegal. just make the arrest and let the judge figure it out. i am constantly having to dispell myths like "four fingers/palm's width" for length restrictions. one local ADA considers assisted openers switchblades and can't wait to prosecute based on possession of one. it gets frustrating sometimes..... :)

19. JamisonM

JamisonM Empty Pockets

The more I read about New York cities like, the more I'm glade I live in a completely different part of the country.

20. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

Do ADAs work on commission, or what? Sometimes I wonder, with the weird stuff people are prosecuted for, and the assembly-line apathy used in plea bargaining more serious cases down just so they can get a conviction on their records and move on to another case.

While things in Baltimore are not as bad as they are in NYC (yet), there is a maddening trend in city and suburban culture where people think the word "knife" is synonomous with the word "weapon". Some people react with abject terror when they see that I carry a knife, despite the fact that I carry small, innocuous folders with blades of 2.5" or less. I do worry sometimes that this sentiment might bloom into something that could lead to cops arresting me or confiscating one of my blades under "concealed weapon" laws.