1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife recommendations for a Boy Scout

Discussion in 'Knives' started by EmberMike, May 13, 2014.

1. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Help (don't force) him stick it out to Eagle, neither of you will be disappointed. Remember, He will probably lose w/e you give him. Don't go nuts, but get him a a nice Viki. He'll figure what he likes and doesn't like and should be tasked with obtaining what he wants. Plus, if he works for it he'll be less likely to lose or abuse it. Don't forget that a non-locking blade helps learn proper technique in the beginning. I feel like if I'd jumped right into locking folders, not only would I have lost them, but I wouldn't have learned a few valuable lessons along the way (see scars). Some lessons need to be learned the hard way.
    Good Luck.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Was the sak you let him use an Alox? If not that might have been part of the problem. When I was his age I hated Swiss army knives mostly because of the cheap feeling plastic pop off scales. I still hate them. But an Alox model has a completely different feel. He might list after more tactical knives but I'm sure whatever knife you give him will be cherished. When I was 11 if my parents had handed me a worn out steak knife and told me it was mine up would have been ecstatic lol

BarksAtCats, GRH and iangineer like this.
  3. iangineer

iangineer Loaded Pockets

Victorinox sells a BSA logo Huntsman for around $50.

[​IMG]

or a nice bright colored scale Climber:

[​IMG]

BarksAtCats and Vsegda gotov like this.
  4. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Wingman, Buck-lite, RAT II

5. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68 EDC Junkie

I wonder if the DSM V has a diagnosis for ISHD ( Irrational SAK Hatred Disorder)?:p

kertap75 likes this.
  6. b00mhower

b00mhower Loaded Pockets

Smatchet

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

MJGEGB likes this.
  7. snaplok

snaplok Loaded Pockets

I know it's been said over and over but I would go with a SAK, IMO. As a former scout, it's one of the first knives I carried since a cub and still do to this day.

jeeves3443 likes this.
  8. Octane957

Octane957 Loaded Pockets

What about getting him a Boy Scout Swiss Army Knife. I see them going on ebay for around the price your looking for and even sometimes lower. I know my first knife when I was in the Scouts was a Swiss Army Knife. The Camper is what I had and it got a lot of use. If he didn't like the camper maybe a Huntsman or something like a Leatherman

9. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Respectfully, most 11 yr olds these days have zero business with a modern locking folder. When we were kids it was one thing, but today's youth don't learn responsibility like we did (outside the scouts, and even in it as much these days). We looked at knives as tools, we certainly weren't complaining about what they looked like if we were going to be given one. There is a big lesson for him to learn (or re-enforce) appreciation and respect here.

Sorry for the rant, but I have watched with abject horror at how many parents (and uncles) seem to have no problem letting a pre-teen determine what's in their own best interest. You obviously know him better than the rest of us, so if you feel a modern locking folder is appropriate, then proceed. However, I don't get the feeling you do deep down.

With that said, take a few minutes to look around, you can find a classic (American Made) Boy Scout knife or Camper Style knife for cheap enough at your local flea market, Craigslist, or FleaBay. As a matter of fact, to show that I put my money where my mouth is, I have a Western Camper I picked up a few weeks ago that I will ship you for free if it's going to a Scout who will use it. If you think he will use it and not just abuse it, hit me up on PM with an address, it will go out the beginning of next week. I would send you my personal Ulster Boy Scout Camper, but it's already been promised to my nephew and is shipping out next week.

[​IMG]

Otherwise a good ALOX SAK Farmer is great too!!

[​IMG]

Edited to clarify that I am referring to modern (one handed style) locking folders. Some older folders still promote "playing around", but the classics would be acceptable for the most part.

Last edited by FL Woods Bum, May 14, 2014
  10. UCChris

UCChris Loaded Pockets

I might be one of the few guys that has never had and sort of "draw" to the SAK or classic multi-blade non-locking folders. I would get him a Meadowlark 2 from Byrd or better yet, a Spyderco Ambitious. They're not terribly large and they are very light. I would be way happier to get those than to be given an SAK.

docer likes this.
  11. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy EDC Junkie!!!!!

SAK Explorer plus

BarksAtCats likes this.
  12. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

As a parent who has watched kids with knives like this vs. the more classic designs, I can tell you the single biggest reason why I suggest a Camper over a Folder such as these. One handed folders promote "playing" with a knife. Every single one of you here know exactly what I am talking about as you are guilty of it as well. The difference being that as an Adult, you have learned how to properly control a knife and how to respect it (at least most of us have). An 11 yr old is not going to have that experience to protect him or his friends from a mistake that comes from "playing or flipping" his knife around. A Camper style folder requires a more deliberate action to open it and promotes him using it for what it is intended for.

Not an attack on you UCChris, just something that came to mind when reading your post.

13. iangineer

iangineer Loaded Pockets

I agree! We're talking about a 6th grader here. I know that, at that age, neither my friends nor I had any business owning or playing with a 3-4" locking folder with super quick action.

I'd like to think that getting a SAK or Leatherman as a first "knife" helps promote the idea that a knife is a tool, not a toy. At least not until you're an adult, haha!

BarksAtCats and FL Woods Bum like this.
  14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I vote the BSA Hunstman. I'm with Hectox and iangneer. Definitely needs the BSA Model scales. I am willing to bet he originally didn't like the SAK for superficial reasons,. but in line with Scout Motto (Be Prepared), a single blade knife can only be used for so much...but a SAK, almost especially if he doesn't really like it, will get used. If he doesn't like it or appreciate it, then rest assured he will use it silly, to the point of abuse, and will surely become a more practiced and prepared young man.
    After he 'learns' by doing a little more, then get him something nicer...for dressy carry;)

15. UCChris

UCChris Loaded Pockets

No hard feelings! I completely understand what you are saying. Just as I read your sentence about playing with knives I flipped my new SRM 710 for basically the 100th time today...

My first knife was an Ozark Trail folder. I guess I understood that the bigger blade was more dangerous so I didn't play with it. Plus I live in a rural area so all of my buddies and I would run around the neighborhood with knives clipped to our pockets. But whatever the OP thinks because honestly, none of us know the kid. :)

I would give my little brother a knife, and I have. I wouldn't give my little sister (one year difference) anything sharper than a frosting spatula.

Funny enough, she owns more knives than I do...

16. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Agreed 100%

BarksAtCats and SAKplumber like this.
  17. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would go with either a locking-folder or a small fixed blade as a first knife to eliminate the risk of the knife closing up on him unintentionally. The Mora Scout would be a great knife to start with, I wish someone bought me one as a kid!

sungame and docer like this.
  18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just curious, was the young Scout a Cub beforehand, and does he have his Totin' Chip yet?

(I like that they are referred to as "woods tools" :))
    If he hasn't gotten the Totin 'Chip he may not be allowed, by the Scout Masters, to carry on campouts. Being the good uncle that you are I know that you will be sure he can handle a knife, but thought you may want to use this as a guideline and a tool, as the BSA does, to make the youth "earn" the right to carry a knife.

Also, if you do go with a BSA model SAK, you could explain that when he's a grown man he will be proud of this little knife, as you surely are with a knife that has served you well. Personally, I would take that opportunity to show him mine and set an example by expressing the level of honor I give a few of my long serving knives :)

Congratulations on having such a fine nephew. My son is an Eagle Scout, as are his 3 best friends. All reasons I can trust him to make smart choices as a young man in his first year of college, driving his first car, and being left home alone with a Winchester 1300 Turkey(12guage) :D

BarksAtCats and kd7dvd like this.
  19. b00mhower

b00mhower Loaded Pockets

Most of you guys have covered all the suggestions I can think of but there's one thing I want to add. Some might not agree but I would make sure whatever knife doesn't have a lock, there are a few reasons for this:
    1) he can learn not to depend on somethin mechanical to keep him safe I.e Awarness>So called safety measures

2)Part of knife ownership is getting a few love bites( I don't mean hickies) . We've all cut ourselves before and our first ones were probably with our first knives which most commonly is a slipjoint. If he doesn't learn what his blades can do to him if be doesn't respect them then he'll never really be safe with it.

3) Tradition- Why not use what his forefathers used? Worked great for them works great now as long as you use it for it's intended purpose (for the most part )

Well those are just my thoughts. Oh and by the way this is turning into a very good thread to read through

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

20. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

AMEN. ;) I have always lived with the innate truth that every safety is designed to fail. Once someone wraps their head around that engineering principle, they rely less on the mechanics and more on their brains.