1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife recommendations for a Boy Scout

Discussion in 'Knives' started by EmberMike, May 13, 2014.

1. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

I just got the go-ahead from my sister-in-law to give my nephew a knife for his 11th birthday. But I'm struggling a bit to decide what to get him. This will be his first knife, so I'm going for sensible but useful. Utility over style.

SAKs comes to mind, but my hesitation there is I went on a camping trip with him and he wasn't a fan of the SAK Camper I let him use. He much preferred the Buck Vantage Select and the MiniGrip 555HG I let him try. Both of those I'm sort of ruling out, though, because I don't think a flipper is a good idea for him and no way is he getting a $70 knife. I'm looking at $30-50 max.

Any suggestions?

Quantum and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. Mike Prettyman

Mike Prettyman Loaded Pockets

Personally, I love the Kershaw Leek. It has a Sandvik 14C28N blade and a 410 stainlesss handle with frame lock. I believe it has a 2 3/4 inch blade. A light knife with a reversible pocket clip. He can learn to take care of it and I would imagine it would last him quite a while. Just a thought.

I'm pretty sure you can find them on eBay in the $30 to $40 range. Oh, I just noticed, this does have a flipper and uses Kersahw's 'speed safe' mechanism.

[​IMG]

whoozle, Water-Rat and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  3. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Well, the Boy Scouts sell various pocket knives. Unfortunately many of them are lower quality Chinese-made folders. There are however some USA-made ones of better quality ... might check those out.

BarksAtCats likes this.
  4. iangineer

iangineer Loaded Pockets

What about one of the 111mm SAKs like the Soldier Knife or Forester? It gives him a SAK for versatility and let's him have the one hand open blade he seems to like without it being a "flipper" or coming off as a weapon to non-knife people.

I have the Forester and love it as an outdoors knife.

Also, what about a Mora Companion?

5. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

What about the Spiderco ambitious? Its a rugged little monster with a good lock.

6. iangineer

iangineer Loaded Pockets

But honestly, a "classic" Swiss Army Knife is practically a rite of passage for a boy scout! I'd be hard pressed to get him anything other than a Camper, Climber, Compact, etc. My 111mm suggestion is probably too big for an 11 year old. The Mora, too.

Give him something akin to the Camper and some great uncle-y advice that the SAK will stand the test of time for him and you'd love to get him a quality folder when he's a bit older.

7. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

why not something as timeless as a Buck 110? Having to carry it in a sheath is a plus these days since he would be less likely to accidentally take it somewhere that he shouldn't, such as school.

8. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

How about a Sak One Hand Trekker? I bought one for a 16 year old who had just got his totin' card. Seemed like a good choice.

9. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

How about a classic pattern Case knife, like a sodbuster, peanut, trapper, or stockman? The ambitious suggested above along with it's bigger siblings are all one hand open with a liner lock and G10 handles. I like the suggestion of the trekker. One hand opening blade with a liner lock, but all the usual SAK tools as well. There's a thread in the knife forum about under $30 knives that has lots of good suggestions in it.

BarksAtCats and kertap75 like this.
  10. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

That's where I'm stuck. It's hard to think of anything else when it comes to a good scout knife.

Still, I want to get him something he'll really like. If that's not a classic SAK, then so be it. I'd rather go with something less "classic" that he'll use for years and not be looking to replace for his next birthday. :)

The Spyderco Ambitious is definitely a contender.

Keep those suggestions coming...

11. Hectorx

Hectorx Loaded Pockets

A Scout should carry a utilitarian type of knife. My son is 9 we are doing the whittling chip class in a couple of weeks. He will be getting a blue cub scout sak as a reward once he earns the chip. An older Scout has other models to choose from. They might not be as cool as some other tacticiool knives but I bet if you get it with the BSA logo and his name in it he will treasure it for life.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

SAKplumber and FL Woods Bum like this.
  12. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

I'm a fan of Buck so I'm also looking at the Canoe and the Mini Spitfire. Any opinions on those?

13. Pete3

Pete3 Loaded Pockets

the spyderco byrd line,
    Kershaw makes some good knives for cheap prices,

My vote would be something US made for the boyscout, not sure what though, they tend to be more $

Crazy Canuck likes this.
  14. comis

comis Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the OHO plain edge trekker, it is one of my favorite folding knife for outdoor activities.

It has a great saw, can and bottle opener, a sharp awl and a stout flathead good for prying, all in all an excellent package for camping.

15. Quantum

Quantum Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    What about a nice Mora? :D
    This style of knife is traditional for Scandinavian boyscouts, the scandi grind is very good for outdoor/scout activities ;)

16. ALLHSS

ALLHSS Loaded Pockets

I also suggest a Mora, but one of the ones with a guard.

BarksAtCats likes this.
  17. socalsecurity

socalsecurity Loaded Pockets

The original Boy Scout knives had all the same features as a SAK tinker. I love my tinker and used to pack my SAK Ranger my father gave me when I earned first class on every Boy Scout trip. That Ranger was 30 years old when I received it and it's still a beautiful knife. A quality folder is also hard to beat. I carried a CRKT M16-10z for years in scouts with my Ranger.

Once an eagle, always an eagle.

Sent from NCC 1701D Enterprise

BarksAtCats and snaplok like this.
  18. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

I can only remember the knives I had a Scout, mainly because I no longer have them. I think I've managed to lose more knives than actually wear them out. I have two left from the late1960s, but the ones I had as a boy have long gone. Probably best to start out with something not too expensive with bright coloured scales. They all had dark coloured scales (we called them grips) when I was young, which is perhaps why many of mine rusted away decades ago in the long grass on riverbanks.

BarksAtCats likes this.
  19. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68 EDC Junkie

While I had a Schrade and a Camillus when I was a Scout, I would have absolutely felt like I had gone to Heaven if I was given a SAK Farmer...just the right number and most useful of tools without feeling like a brick in one's pocket....

[​IMG]

...not necessarily in orange mind you.

20. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Victorinox Farmer, Pioneer, OHT

Case Scout knife

Mora 511

BarksAtCats likes this.