1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife Recomendation

Discussion in 'Knives' started by lefty81, Nov 15, 2020.

1. lefty81

lefty81 Loaded Pockets

Hello, returning after being gone for a while. I got my knife acquisition disorder under control, but within the last year I lost 2 of my favourite every day carry knives (Griptilian and PM2) so I have been itching to find a replacement. I am now carrying my edcf Native 5, which holds up but I'm not a huge fan of the back locks. I am leaning towards just replacing the Griptilian but since I've been out of the game for a bit I was wondering what other options there are in that category. Here are some some of my requisites:
    - Legal to carry in Canada (gray area for a lot of knives but mainly no OTF)
    - 3" to 3.5" blade
    - Prefer non-assisted but open to an assisted
    - moveable clip so I can carry it in my left pocket
    - Max budget of around $200
    - Open to any brand

Was also thinking of getting an inexpensive folder like the Ontario Rat 1, so also looking for comparable knives to that.

2. lefty81

lefty81 Loaded Pockets

Also appreciate if anyone knows a good online store to order from (must ship to Canada). Can PM me that info.

3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

If you like the Griptilian and want a lefty friendly knife, the Doug Ritter RSK made by Hogue and sold by KnifeWorks, should be a very good choice.

4. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

Really enjoy carrying my bugout. Weighs nothing always there. Axis lock. In your budget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twin63 and lefty81 like this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you like the Grip but want something a little different just get a new one and some different scales.

There are plenty of great choices and each one that I have tried has really enhanced the feel of the Grip to me!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#5 EZDog, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Civilian and lefty81 like this.
  6. lefty81

lefty81 Loaded Pockets

I'm liking the looks of the bugout. I think I'm leaning in that direction. Will give it a little more time tho, impulse buys lead to more impulse buys.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

You can still EDC a locking blade over there then?

If you aren't in lock down and can get to a big knife store why not visit, have a feel/play, that's the best way. I rate a Ritter too, Spyderco Manix 2 fits my hand so well and is hard to beat.

8. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

You didn't specify a steel preference, so that leaves the market wide open. Honestly, for a 3-3.5" non-assisted knife with a clip that allows lefty carry... I'd recommend the Buck Vantage. It comes in two sizes: 3" and 3.25", either 420HC on the base model or S30V on the upgraded models. The deep-carry clip can be swapped over for left-hand carry (tip up) and it's a flipper knife, so not assisted but still very easy to deploy quickly. Not as easy to close quickly, as it's a linerlock intended for righties, but you could do it. My early Vantage Avid with 13C26 razor steel has been a great daily carry knife for me, and the 420HC models can be had for less than $50. Just an option, since you seem to be considering budget items like the Ontario Rat 1. I have one of those too, in D2 steel. Great knife. I use it as a general manual labor/beater knife.

If you want something more high-end and more lefty-friendly, then I'd probably have to second the suggestion of the Ritter RSK MkI-G2 by Hogue, sold by KnifeCenter. Used to be made by Benchmade, then things happened, and now Hogue makes them. Same lock, blade shape, handle shape, clip, etc. Current production uses 20CV steel, while the early-production knives you might find on Ebay used M390. I don't own one myself (though it's on my wishlist) but it seems to be a good replacement for your lost Griptillian. They run about $160.

9. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

10. lefty81

lefty81 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the great replies, I like the warriorsandwonders website, great selection there. Kinda got lost looking at everything. now I want a fixed blade as well, lol. So far my initial instinct was the bugout and I haven't really seen anything else that has excited me as much. Well within the price range anyway.

11. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I suggested the Ritter mainly because it’s very similar to your old Griptilian, but arguably better.
    The Bugout is very different, but definitely good. It is my favorite Benchmade at the moment, even though I have fairly more expensive ones.

BigGreenTick likes this.
  12. lefty81

lefty81 Loaded Pockets

The Ritter has been on my list for a long time and since it is fairly inexpensive (comparative to other knives on the list which are not) I will most likely look into upgrading the lost Grip to the Ritter at some point. It seems more affordable now as well since parting with BM. While the Grip was sturdy and held up to hard work I did find it a touch bulky in the pocket, so the Bugout looks like a nice slimmer alternative, plus I am digging the stock deep carry short clip.

aicolainen likes this.
  13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just be careful because you can make the Bugout a lot more expensive really fast too![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aicolainen and That Movie Guy like this.