1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife or Multi-tool or both

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ssmtbracer, Sep 2, 2009.

?

Which would you carry knife or multi-tool or both

1. knife

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. multi-tool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. knife and multi-tool

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. knife and multi-tool and atwood

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ohGr

ohGr Loaded Pockets

I always have my LM juice S2 and spyderco tenacious on me.

2. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx Loaded Pockets

I always have the SOG paratool or Vic SwissTool with me
    I also always carry 2 knives usually, one serious one and a EDC one ( 550HG and Leafstorm currently)
    I have a ti flat keyton on the keychain...
    Maxx

3. ddml

ddml Empty Pockets

both x2?

i always have my skeletool on my belt, a knife in my pocket, and a SAK on my keychain.
    i'd like to get a prybaby but it is proving difficult.
    :/

4. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

SAK and Multitool. That's two blades (three, actually, but the tiny Vic blade doesn't really count) and plenty of knife for me. Generally don't need a larger folder. Exceptions prove the rule.

5. Dobe Man

Dobe Man Loaded Pockets

i've got the 5.11 Tac Lite Pro pants and their Operator belt. Anyways, the left pouch above the cargo pocket is perfect for my SOG S63 and the right front pocket (not the knife pocket) is where my Benchmade 550HG goes - the reason why the front pocket rather than the knife pocket is that it not only has a reinforced edge to resist ripping from repeated inserting/removal but the end of the clip goes right into the knife pocket - making it very difficult to dislodge the knife. It's a very comfortable pant in a variety of situations and look good too.

6. Mercury

Mercury Empty Pockets

Both. Absolutely.

My Leatherman Wave and Benchmade Griptillian are both far too useful and practical to sacrifice. I'll be picking up a Leatherman Squirt soon for a more pocket-friendly carry system, but I'll still carry my Griptillian.

7. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

Mostly a knife during the week, and both a knife and multi-tool during the weekend.

8. neon

neon Loaded Pockets

I carry my skeletool all the time and when I know I will be needing a knife I add my CS AK-47.

9. hk2001

hk2001 Empty Pockets

a leatherman (either a juice or a wave) and a knife, at all times.

10. Proc

Proc Loaded Pockets

Both fill different needs. you need both.

11. Mr. Henk

Mr. Henk Empty Pockets

Ever since I got a Swisschamp I pretty much left the Tenacious at home. The blade on the SAK is good enough for me and it saves some weight & space in the pocket too.

12. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

I have been fiddling with this question for awhile now. I used to strictly carry by LM blast alone, but then I rediscovered SAK's. I have gone through many changes in my EDC but I think I finally have some semblance of what I want. for now. I am belt carrying my Swisschamp and my Skeletool resides in my RFP. These two are always there, and I sometimes add the Blast OR a smaller SAK to the mix, but I don't like having more than three of anything on me. I like the champ for the plethora of tools it provides, and the skeletool is treated more as a locking blade with benefits. So I guess my answer would definitely be both.

13. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I guess the answer is it depends. I have several things I try and rotate and the combination is always different. I am really fond of the blade on the Skelletool so I am less likely to carry and additional knife. I am not crazy about the blade on the Juice so I always carry a knife with it. If I have dress pants on probably a knife only. The only constant is I always have an Atwood with me.

14. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

I have, in my experience, usually needed a cutting tool and another tool, like pliers or a screwdriver, at the same time.

I also prefer the more elegant form factor and faster deployment of a dedicated knife. One thing about any mutitool is that it always sucks compared to a dedicated tool (remember, it's scaled down so you can carry it with you when you don't have all the dedicated tools handy). For me the knife is such an important tool, it warrants a dedicated instrument.

I can easily see how you could not carry the knife however. At work I actually tend to not carry a dedicated knife as much, but anywhere else it's both.

15. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Knife, Multi Tool and Atwood!

I need a knife since I open/cut boxes all the time and holding a multitool knife sometimes doesn't cut it. The pliers for the MT comes in handy (can't tell you how many times I need a pliers or a screwdriver). The Atwood is there just in case a need a wrench. LOL

16. neill91_maui

neill91_maui Empty Pockets

i just got a leatherman surge so im seeing if i can carry just a multi tool but ill probably carry a folding knife as well