1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife or Multi-tool or both

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ssmtbracer, Sep 2, 2009.

?

Which would you carry knife or multi-tool or both

1. knife

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. multi-tool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. knife and multi-tool

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. knife and multi-tool and atwood

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Good point I don't really care about weight either as I carry everything in my 10 pockets which I have a belt for if not they would fall down.

2. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

A majority of the time I am carrying a Victorinox or a Leatherman. In a given day I am likely to need a screwdriver or a pair of scissors so I typically carry a multitool. If I know what my day will entail then I may change to carrying some combination of a SAK, Leatherman, and/or a knife.

3. _STL_15_

_STL_15_ Loaded Pockets

I agree. I take advantage of every pocket in my 5.11 Tac Lite pants.

4. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have the Woolrich tactical ones how do you like the 5.11 I was thinking of getting some of those.

5. Roger999

Roger999 Loaded Pockets

I carry both, LM wave on my belt and right now I have a Case stockman in CV, I usually rotate between what knife I carry, I don't use the blade on my wave because it sucks, there's up and down bladeplay, and the edge hits the handle when it closes. I do use the main blade of my wave to open superglue tubes and tasks where it will make my blade very dirty.

6. Lane

Lane Empty Pockets

knife at the present time but looking to add a LM Kick to the EDC soon. :)

7. matt1987

matt1987 Empty Pockets

sometimes i carry my buck ranger. but most of the time i just carry the sak on my keychain. in my bag i have a wave along with the bit set.

8. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

No option for 2 knives and 2 multi-tools?

No I don't have a Bat-Belt. I do however carry a Kershaw Skyline and a Swisstool Spirit on me. In my backpack, I have a Zero Tolerance ZT0300 and either a SOG Powerlock 2.0 EOD, a Leatherman Wave or my Swisstool RS. Looking at a Crunch though for the locking pliers feature.

9. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

I like a Victorinox Swisschamp on my belt (consider it a knife based multitool), and a Buck 301 in my pocket. When I simply need to cut something I like the smaller Buck. When I need a tool, I use the Swisschamp. I probably find more use for the Swisschamp on a daily basis.

10. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

I carry a sak and a gerber articfact (with blade removed) attached by paracord in my pocket. Then I carry a knife clipped to my pocket or in a leather pouch on my belt. I mainly use my knife to cut as I like the bigger handle when cutting and my sak and artifact for the prying, bottle/can opener, nail file, and screw drivers. I only really use my sak knife to trim my fingernails.

11. laurent

laurent Empty Pockets

When I'm working, I carry only my SwissTool. But the rest of time, I complement it with a Victorinox Sentinel only for the one-hand opening blade (for emergencies). I wish that Victorinox could provide their SwissTool with different blade options (like a one-handed, plain-edged wharncliff...).

12. 1*

1* Empty Pockets

LM Skeletool CX rides in my pocket 24/7 with either a Spyderco or a Benchmade selection. Now a LM Surge will be close by in the BOB.

13. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

First, IMHO a SAK is a knife, not a multi-tool. At least not in the sense that the term "multi-tool" was coined for. It came about when leatherman hit the scene and turned the world on its head. The primary function was the pliars, not the blade. Which is why the term "multi-tool" came about. Any tool that can serve 2 purposes could be considered a multi-tool...
    *hops off soapbox*
    I carry a swisstool and a one handed folder of some sort on me daily. I also have a couple of Atwoods on the keychain.

14. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

Knives and Multitools.

SOG Flash I
    SOG Aegis
    Gerber 400
    Leatherman Squirt P4

15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

My basic carry is a SAK (well a combination of a 84mm Cadet and 58mm Rambler) which copes with 90% of my needs in EDC.

At the same time I do own and appreciate both single bladed knives and larger multitools like Leatherman or Swisstools - I just pick and carry what I know I will need for any day. For example at work I know I want the pliers and beefier tools, so carry the Leatherman, when I am camping I generally need a blade more regularly so carry an appropriate blade, and so on, but the SAK is the only constant that I will have everywhere.

My reasoning is that a single bladed folder is of dubious legality (UK laws require something <3" and non locking), so I only carry when I have a valid reason to. The multitool I generally don't carry purely on the size and weight - I find a SAK a lot easier to carry and accomplishes a lot of what the multitool can do, so I only upgrade to the multitool when I anticipate there being more heavy work involved or a need for the pliers.

16. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

Most Multi nuts seem to gravitate towards both . Most multi's have pretty bad ergonomics for general cutting tasks .

Chris

17. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

And they take forever to open.

18. brasskeeper

brasskeeper Empty Pockets

Gerber 600 and a Byrd Cara Cara

19. MitchP

MitchP Empty Pockets

I carry a Gerber EVO serrated (22-01432) clipped in my pants pocket everywhere I go, along with a Leatherman Core. The Core is carried in an exterior pocket of my backpack most days and on my belt when I'm doing an installation or on weekends. I love the EVO! :smitten: ...Its lighter (2.8 oz) and MUCH faster to deploy than any of the Core's blades. The EVO blade snaps smartly open with one hand and it's sharp! I use it all the time. The carbon steel blades on the Core are a vast improvement over previous LM offerings, but the straight screwdriver blades stink :rant: I use the knife blades of the Core for messy work, where I don't want to booger-up the edge of the EVO. I wish LM (or someone else) would come out with a 0.375" wide wood chisel accessory blade for the Core...It would be a nice compliment to the wood saw blade.

20. sapro

sapro Empty Pockets

I carry both a Gerber multitool and a large folder on my belt on a daily basis. I, like several who have weighed in here, wish multitools would stay out of the blade business all together. I carry the multitool for the pliers, drivers, scissors, saw and file which have always come in handy. But for any kind of cutting, I use my folder. It is ergonomically designed to be used for heavy-duty, continual cutting. This makes it safer, it seems to me, than a blade tucked into the handle of a multitool (YMMV). Any blade on a multitool will always, IMHO, be off balance. Plus, they are usually made of the same material as the rest of the multitool and aren't cared for (sharpened, oiled) like my folder. Anyway, my 2ยข worth (you probably have change coming to you).