1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife Opening in Pocket

Discussion in 'Knives' started by suburbDad, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Solstice

Solstice Loaded Pockets

I had this happen twice with a Spyerco Sliverax, and it's a shame because I otherwise loved the knife. The combination of the flipper tab with a notoriously weak detent meant that my phone could tap it open even when clipped against the side of the pocket. This unfortunately stopped me from EDCing that knife. Perhaps I'll find someone to grind off the tab.

Right now, I'm EDCing a newly released Kershaw Lauch 13. I really love it mostly due to the light weight and style, but it has the added perk of locking closed as well as open until you actuate it with the pushbutton. If your local laws allow it, could be worth checking out.

Lateck likes this.
  2. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

The only knife I’ve had that happen with is a Benchmade Minigrip with the Axis Lock. I stopped carrying it after cutting myself when it opened in my pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. cementhead

cementhead Empty Pockets

Had a Spyderco Cricket open in my pocket but it was at the bottom, not clipped. Some blood was lost. Now I always clip it when it's on me.

4. glazer1972

glazer1972 Empty Pockets

I had a Spyderco PM2 open up in my pocket. When I got the bleeding stopped I took pics and posted it for sale.

5. Gadgetman7

Gadgetman7 Loaded Pockets

I’ve had that happen with several knives, most recently a Microtech SOCOM Delta with a very strong detent. I think something caught the thumb studs. I’ve never had that happen with a Paramilitary but I have a older Terzoula collaboration that has done that. It’s usually a weak detent but sometimes it’s just bad luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

This is a mystery to me. Carrying knives in my pocket since about 35-40 years, this never happened to me. Maybe because I clip tip up in my right front. Like this the blade is not only held by the detent, but as well against the seam of my pocket.

Austria est imperare orbi universo

Lateck likes this.