1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife Opening in Pocket

Discussion in 'Knives' started by suburbDad, Sep 2, 2020.

1. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

anybody have a problem with this? It opens so well when flicking it open. I can't imagine having to tighten it when there's no play. But yesterday, when I was loading and unloading things, the knife slightly opened within my pocket. and then it got caught while I was trying to carefully take it out. What should I do?

2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Happened with my SpydieChef a few times. It seems to only happen when I carry it in phone pockets or similar, and not using the pocket clip i.e. when it has some wiggle room.

It has never happened with a knife clipped to my pocket and the spine of the blade pushed all the way back against the side of my pocket.

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Never happened to me. There is something wrong. What knife? What lock? Maybe a picture?
    Each lock, even a slip joint, simset up the keep the knife closed. As long as it’s not damaged, that better works.

Austria est imperare orbi universo.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

ummm... Not sure what you intended to type; this leaves me scratching my head: '...Each lock, even a slip joint, simset up the keep the knife closed. ...'

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

colin.p likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

My two cents for the OP; echoing the comments from @aicolainen: I've not had this happen with any knife. For knives on a clip, I position so that the blade is up against the inside of the pocket against the seam -- just in case. But I've never had one even partially open in the pocket. I carry this way regardless of tip up or tip down. Many of my slip joints ride inside a pocket slipcase anyway so they'd not open. A few knives, e.g., various SAK, I clip to a pocket dangler. None of these have opened in the slightest either.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

6. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

neo71665 likes this.
  7. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

...slip joint, is set up to keep the knife closed...

Yeah. iPad posts are great with more than one language active.

8. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

The only time I have experienced this was with a Kershaw I carried tip up. For some unknown reason as I was pulling it out of my pocket, the tip caught in the fabric and my pulling caused it to open. Once in a lifetime. I hope. Accidental closings scare me more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

It’s an Ausus with D2 steel. It’s a nice and hefty knife. I have carried it pointed down in my pocket but what I’m seeing is that I should have it clipped, flush against the pocket. Hopefully that’ll help. Thank you all for your input!

10. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

To answer the question; No, I have never had a knife open in my pocket.

To answer the problem being asked about...

If the pivot is tight, blade centered between the liners and without any play, but it still can just fall open, that seems like a weak detent to me and there's not much you can do about it other than send it back to the manufacturer and see if they'll fix or replace it.

Carrying it properly, which looks to be tip-up when clipped into the pocket, might help this issue if you carry it toward the 'back' of your pocket; at least then the blade fall into the seam if your pocket if it tries to open.

But frankly, if I had a knife that was prone to falling open, I would not carry it. It's not safe and will inevitably cut your pants, or you.

#10 Sentinel-14, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  11. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I'm in the never camp too. This includes my autos.

12. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

It's a junk knife unfortunately with a very light detent. So light that its opening in your pocket. If you can open it up you will need to adjust and tune the detent ball. You may be able to work with the company but it looks like that may not be possible. There are much better options at that price point.

13. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

I was more enamored by the deal price for a D2 steel. I guess you get what you pay for.

It may have to be the first knife I throw out. I'm going to reach out to the vendor to see if they can help.

Thanks!

14. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

You don't necessarily have to throw it out. If it locks up tight when open you can always make a simply kydex sheath for it and use it as a fixed blade. No sense throwing out a perfectly good blade.

15. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

marvelous suggestion. It feels good in the hand, has good steel. never gone through a kydex sheath project, but I shall try!

16. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

If you want d2 on a budget, I'd highly recommend looking at Civivi

severdhed and Moshe ben David like this.
  17. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

@suburbDad if you like D2 steel and want value, look at Honey Badger. They are not the most exotic of looks but are priced well and in my experience one of the nicest opening. They also have a good detent.

18. FilthyJ24

FilthyJ24 Loaded Pockets

I had a ZT 0562 that opened up in my pocket at work..ended up needing a few stitches. Fixed blades only for this guy.

ran23 likes this.
  19. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I had this happen a few times with my SOG Reactor. Even though it has a sliding lock to prevent the assisted blade from opening, it still opened in my pocket several times. I ended up taking it apart and removing the assist spring. I don't really use that tool very much anymore because it is a piece of crap, but i'll occasionally take it if i think I may need a knife or pliers, but don't want to worry about losing my Skeletool.

As for reasonable D2 knifes, I just got a Civivi Elementum and it is really nice.

20. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I have seen this happen a few times but only with sandwich-style tactical folders with liner locks (and only when tip-up carry is utilized).

Because these knives tend to have light, smooth openings, it doesn't take much for something in the pocket to grab onto the tip of the knife, which can cause it to open inadvertently when it's withdrawn from the pocket.

However, this problem has been well understood for about 20 years now and most modern knives are made in such a way as to minimize the chance of this happening by accident.

Most modern sandwich-style tactical folders have stronger detents than the early ones which makes it less likely for the blade to move from its closed position, They also tend to have the blade tip buried further into the grip where it's less likely to be snagged. So it's quite unusual to hear about this happening these days.