1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife law enforcement

Discussion in 'Knives' started by el_murdoque, Feb 19, 2018.

1. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Is it OK to EDC that 12cm fixed blade on a belt or around the neck? I'm thinking that that would be a solution to the one handed/safety aspects of the folding knives??

2. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

To my knowledge, you can dangle a 11,999cm blade from your private parts if you wish so.
    The law states what you may or may not carry, but has nothing to say about where or how.

The thing is, that if you regularly make use of a bigger knife in your daily routine and you're not just cutting string and cardboard but do heavy duty work that requires a locking blade and one handed operation, you usually can specify a reason for that and carry such a knife.
    Let's say you're in the woods during the day or you're a carpenter. The only downside is that you need to downsize your blade as soon as you slip out of your working gear and into your casuals. So if you're used to having a big'ish locking folder in your pocket during worktime, you might miss it when you're off.

Carrying a fixed blade from your neck or your belt without apparent reason WILL draw reactions from other people, though.
    You don't see much cutlery carried around in Europe and apart from uniformed officials, you don't see firearms at all - so people might have a problem taking you seriously when you dangle a big fixed knife from your neck on an EDC basis.
    I myself favor the Spyderco Urban which is big enough for all my regular EDC tasks and has a slipjoint that works fine. Your thumb and index will lock the blade secure enough for most tasks and it's legal to carry almost all over Europe and in the UK. AFAIK only Denmark is a problem, where one handed operation is a big no-no for EDC knifes.

Moshe ben David and earthman like this.
  3. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

My job student got checked by the police last Saturday night when he was pretty drunk already.
    He forgot that he still carried his knife in his jacket, the LEO took it.

In Switzerland it's ok to carry a OHO as long as it's not automatic, even though most people think a flipper or a knife that you can flick open is illegal.
    I guess they've seen he was too drunk to act responsible even when he forgot he has the knife.

If he can't get it back I'm ready to order and mod a new one for him as long as he pays for the knife ;)

This knife maybe got a new home already, he should have told them who modded it for him :p

[​IMG] [​IMG]

He'd be better off with a Victorinox though...

Moose, ran23 and Moshe ben David like this.
  4. SOS24
    • +1 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I had an incident when I was driving on to a naval base and the were doing random searches of vehicles. One of the guards found a knife (one handed locking folder about 3in) that I carried in my drivers door. He notified that no weapons were allowed on the base and asked why I had the knife in my door. Before I could answer, the other guard said something about everyone should have a knife in their car door for emergencies especially a nice young woman and that he didn’t consider it a weapon, so I was allowed to continue.

In a twist, I also was able to unintentionally carry a knife through airport TSA in Mobile, AL. I forgot that I had a kershaw chive in my pocket and did not realizeit until I was on my final flight. The TSA metal detector didn’t detect it. What is really strange is that almost every time I flew through that airport, which was 5-6 times, I had some issue with TSA - bringing a self-injection prescription, packing socks in a metal travel mug to save space, keychain made of bicycle chain, water flavor tabs that they said looked like mace, etc. But they didn’t detect an actual knife in my pocket.

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@SOS24: I'm not surprised by your experience. Just within a few months prior to 9/11, I flew from the DC area up to Boston with not one but two knives in my briefcase. Both were larger than a Kershaw Chive. Neither was ever detected let alone questioned by airport security at that time. Granted this was before 9/11 and the rollout of TSA. But I was on the rollout teams; it simply does not surprise me that equipment at a smaller airport might not have been picking up on such things! Add to these experiences (yours and mine) the periodic news reports we still see of under cover reporters 'testing' TSA and then writing sensational articles of 'fails' by TSA....!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Moose and garza like this.
  6. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

Regarding the on base experience, it's the times we live in, often the place, and very often the person (both of you). I had a similar experience, but with a kukri. It was visible on top of a duffel on the floor behind my drivers seat. The sailor thought it was cool, wanted to know if I made it myself, etc. Times, place, and the individual(s).

Now about TSA. I can only shake my head, and barely that now. I know people make mistakes. I accidently carried a zippo lighter and didn't realize I had it until on was on the plane home. It's the inconsistency that is my hot button. I've given up carrying a RESQME because it gets confiscated about 20% of the time.

Moose and Moshe ben David like this.
  7. badcop

badcop Loaded Pockets

Hello brothers. In Portugal the law allow to carry any knife until 9,9 centimeters of blade , but automatic open, double blade, concealed blade , stilettos are crime and give detention! But when you justify the carry like camping, hunting etc, there’s no limit in the lenght , but all the others restrictions are the same !
    You cannot carry any knive in shopping malls, music events and sports events, church’s and public buildings like courthouse. The same with weapons ! Stay safe

8. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

My mum keeps her SAK Fieldmaster (I believe) in her walking backpack, which she often uses when flying. There are 6 occasions I know of where she has forgotten to take it out and both the UK and French border security haven't spotted it.
    Meanwhile I had my first ever SAK taken by UK airport security because it was in the pocket of my shorts that I had packed without checking the pockets.

Although locking knives are illegal without good reason here, my grandfather has carried an Opinel (not sure which one, certainly has a lock) in his shirt pocket for as long as I can remember without a problem. He even lent it to a cop once to open a package.
    I have a locking knife in the toolkit in my car. I don't mind a non-locking blade for EDC but I want a lock if I'm trying to keep my POS on the road.

9. Moshe ben David

@thegrouch314: I'm not surprised that your grandfather's Opinel does not get noticed even by a cop as a locking blade. There's still a lot of folks not that familiar with Opinel knives and hence they don't spot the collar as the locking mechanism. Even among knife guys, I've handed an Opinel over to guys who got curious and they either couldn't open it - because it was locked close and they didn't 'get' the collar - or they'd open it and then comment that they'd never carry it because it wasn't a locking blade! Of course with an Opinel the thing is for most of its history it had no lock anyway!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ProjeKtWEREWOLF and Moose like this.
  10. Gravy

Gravy Loaded Pockets

I live in Texas, so I can carry pretty much whatever I want. I don't expect to every have an issue with the police regarding my pocketknife as my 3-3.5 inch carry blades are still 2 inches under the legal limit. ;)

Other than the XL Cold Steel Espada I'm having hard time thinking of a knife I CANT carry

11. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I believe concealed carry is limited to 5 1/2” blade. Open carry has different rules.

I carry an auto knife which a coworker did not realize was legal to carry in Texas.

12. Gravy

Gravy Loaded Pockets

This is correct. I guess the point Im trying to make is that there really arent many folders I can't carry, so the laws dont really affect my carry habits. Maybe one day I'll get one of those crazy giant Cold Steel models just for kicks.

13. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Because of San Antonio and Corpus Christi enacting northeast style knife ordinances, the legislature with overwhelming bipartisan support prohibited city ordinances by enacting a statewide law allowing almost every folder as concealed carry and open carry allows almost every type knife.

I noticed the legal change last summer when the hospital system updated the employee handbook to comply with the Sept 1st date of the new law.

HardToHandle and Moshe ben David like this.
  14. OilMan

OilMan Loaded Pockets

Most restrictive how? Unless you're in one or two cities with additional laws as long as you don't call it a weapon you can pretty much carry anything you want including Autos now with a FOID card. (Which is dumb IMHO, what does a knife have to do with a FOID card?)

I usually carry a Strider SMF with a fob and no cop has ever asked me about it and I'm around them all the time at work.

Of course I've also always said that if you don't look shady cops will leave you alone with just about anything..

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well in Chiraq it seems petty restrictive to me.
    I am not Shady looking or at least I a told that and I was doing a job at the time I was hassled and was clearly fairly technically involved in that work so I have no idea other than just to keep numbers up why a cop would have questioned me about 1 of many tools I was using at the time.

I imagine that like anything else I just crossed path with the wrong guy at the right time somehow?

16. Highway9
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Highway9 Loaded Pockets

I flew out of Hartford last week. Somehow I completely screwed up and even though I could swear I emptied the pockets in my lightspeed; forgot my EDCforums GITD Manix 2XL in one of the pockets. The TSA has it now. Fuuuuuuuuuuu...
    *Mods, can you remove my little badge that identifies me as an owner. :bye:
    ...other than that crushing blow it was a nice little getaway.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  17. Moshe ben David

@Highway9: MAJOR hurt! I feel your pain...!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Highway9 likes this.
  18. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

Never admit that you carry it as a "weapon," no matter how jovial the conversation...Instead, it's a "tool" you use at work to cut packaging, twine and other fibrous materials.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#38 Sheepdog149, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  19. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Before they relaxed the laws here in arkansas the max length used to be 4 inches. When I was a teen I used to carry a folding lock back that was exactly 3 3/4. We got pulled over one night at a check point and this young cop had me in cuffs trying to arrest me when his boss came over, measured it, and made him apologize. I remember being pissed because I made sure when I got the thing it was legal. Last I head through the small town grapevine he isn't even a cop anymore, got canned for "excess use of his firearm".

Now we can carry just about anything but a butterfly knife in any length.

colin.p, Moshe ben David and garza like this.
  20. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I lived in PA a few years and Philly was different, you pretty much couldn't have anything. So we always unhooked our pocket clips and just pocketed them (3" or so folders back then). they can't search you without a reason, and if you have screwed up bad enough to warrant a search the knife will just be an added charge.

I follow rules more than not, so I never owned a switchblade till Texas (where I am now) allowed them. Got one like right away. then the next year they allowed swords and daggers and double ended blades. Got a sword! I also now EDC an Ultratech double edge. Looking to upgrade to a combat Troodon, but there's a Halo V in my desk drawer. work follows the old 5.5" max length rules.

I have little to no risk of accidentally leaving the state like I did in PA. here, I am 4 hours to the east, 12 west, 12 south (hit mexico) and 2 north. If I'm going to leave the state I will follow their rules, no matter how dumb.

Planned a trip to NM and they are weirdly specific. I couldn't carry any autos and you can't carry more than one gun, even with a permit. Not that I often do, but damnit if I didn't want to wear 2 guns and an auto knife just cause they said you couldn't.

Moshe ben David and garza like this.