1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife help needed

Discussion in 'Knives' started by StealthChaser13, Nov 16, 2013.

1. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

For some time now, I have been putting together a GHB/BOB. I already have a large fixed blade knife in my kit, but am trying to decide on a smaller folding knife. I recently decided, that instead of getting a combo-edge knife, I wanted to get a knife similar to the Spyderco Byrd Wings, which has one "straight edge", and one serrated blade. The only problem is that that knife has been discontinued, and is therefore difficult to find. So, I was wondering if anybody would be able to point me towards a similar knife. I have found the one made by Smith & Wesson (branded atleast), but it is only 420 steel, and I prefer atleast 440c, if not better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. blazinworm

blazinworm Loaded Pockets

i agree i would def stay away from the smith and wesson. every knife of theres ive bought has worn very quickly and within months had so much blade wobble front and back and had so many lock failures i felt uncomfortable enough to toss it in my never to be seen again knife drawer.

to bad that spyderco is discontinued i def be interested if it was still around. you might check ebay for a second hand one in decent shape.

as far as something similiar i have never seen anything like it but would def be interested if anyone else knows of one decently priced. awesome idea if you ask me. seems way more useful than a combo edge which ive never been a fan of.

3. blazinworm

blazinworm Loaded Pockets

actually i think ive seen a victorinox with a full serrated blade and a smaller plain blade along with a couple other tools. ill try to find the model and let you know

edit

found it. it called the Victorinox Swiss Army Serrated Spartan Knife. its $15 on amazon

also the wenger 1644 swiss army has serrated edge, saw, plaing edge and several other tools

4. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

On ebay you can find a used one and new, too, for $35, shipping to US only...
    If they would send to Europe, too, I'd get one for myself ;)

5. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

You might want to consider a Victorinox Rescue Tool.

netcat likes this.
  6. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

I think you currently do what I call "overplanning": trying to stuff features in your GHB/BOB just because. Are serrations nice to cut cordage or other fibrous cutting goods? They surely are. Is it impossible to cut these with a plain edge? Hell, no! Is it impossible to carve with serrations? Well, try it! Bottom line: even if I expect a lot of cordage to be cut (which I don't), this is nothing I could not do with a plain edge knife, but there are things I can not do with a serrated knife. Easy choice.

That being said: I have a Leatherman Sidekick in my GHB, which happens to have a secondary, fully serrated blade. The less often used tool for me, though I do a lot of paracord stuff.

--
    Urban EDC philosophy: Getting things done for yourself and others.

BklynBoy and sungame like this.
  7. StealthChaser13

hmmm...thinking about it, I do have a multi-tool in my bag that has a fully serrated blade in it. I want the small folding knife for use with things such as field dressing game (which is one thing I would not use a multi-tool for), or other chores that don't require a large fixed blade, so maybe I'll just go with a smaller "straight edge" folder.

Also, I like to have redundency...two is one, and one is none.

8. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

Why not buy the new Spyderco Dyad?

[​IMG]

G10 Handles, VG10 steel. Only downside is Spyderco's MSRP is $279 haha :eek:

9. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

Leatherman wave. it will have both of the blades you wanted, and many more important Tools. Or you could just EDC a Wave and always have it available.

Of course, I find a sharp straight edge knife will cut through rope just as easily as a serrated edge.

10. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Victorinox Hunter XS:
    If you want to add a saw: Hunter XT

gibbsrule: the RescueTool has not the same wood saw but a special composite glass saw for wind shields.

11. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

I would not field dress game with a folder if I can help it. I am not much of a hunter, but I assume that there is a reason why most hunting knifes seem to be fixes blades. Having guts and gore inside a folder in the field does not sound nice to me.

So, you do have a fixed blade and a multitool? I would add a smaller fixed blade as a backup. Something capable of doing all tasks necessary for surviving.
    A 2.5" to 3.5" plain edge blade, preferably rust resistant or stainless. Bravo Necker or Necker 2 would do it. You get the picture.

--

sungame likes this.
  12. StealthChaser13

I carry an SOG Trident (tanto)...when I'm not working; the company I work for does not allow non-company issued "blades". (they also don't allow firearms)

Like I said...I do have a large fixed blade, but I see it as a little too big for dealing with game. I do have a couple of CRKT stiff kiss; maybe I'll add that as my smaller blade.

@netcat...I do have a multitool, but I would not use a multitool to "dress game"...just preference.

13. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

Seems we have a misunderstanding here: I prefer something fixed, too. Easier to clean...;)

--

14. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

15. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68 EDC Junkie

Not a problem OP, Sierra Trading Post have them in stock....

16. StealthChaser13

I did mis-read your post the first time....thinking I may go small fixed blade over the spyderco byrd. But, still want to get one, just to have...

17. StealthChaser13

"cannot ship to New York State"

Why?

18. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Because of problems with NYC knife laws. I’ve never been there, but wouldn’t try to carry a OHO locking knife clipped to a pocket there. Good luck. ;)

19. StealthChaser13

oh ya....I hate that NYC is part of NYS...I live in Western NY. NYC ruins it for the rest of us.

20. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Perhaps you can have it sent to a person you know living close to you but far enough to be in another state?