1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife/Gear Stores in Houston

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by grayman, Sep 29, 2011.

1. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I have been traveling to Houston, TX quite a bit for work lately. My office is in the Galleria area. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good knife store or something similar in the vicinity? I am directionally challenged, but when I'm in town for more than a day, I bring my GPS and get a rental car.

I'd love to find a place with Emerson, Strider, Chris Reeve, etc... Surely in one of the largest cities in the U.S. such a place exists.

2. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

There are several places in Houston but not many with striders or
    Reeves. The ones that do carry them are extremely overpriced. Beckwiths blades is on the NW side of town at 290 and Jones rd. They have just about everything but are wayyyyyyy over priced. Its a good store to go play with knives you dont see often. Sog Armory is on the west side just off the beltway 8. They have some nice toys in there and are priced a lot better. Also there is Top Brass, but they don't have the same knife selection. They do however have just about every maxpedition bag ever made. The one off highway 59 has a pretty decent selection.

3. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

You also have an REI on Westheimer, a Whole Earth Provisions across the street from Galleria. Next to it is a Container Store.

Top Brass is great, I think the one on the North Freeway is better, but that's me.

Lighthound is in Pearland, but their retail store has less stuff everything I visit.

Two Bass Pro Shops are in the area, along three Gander Mnts.

4. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Would Whole Earth Provisions be at Westhiemer & Post Oak Blvd.? I remember seeing a The Container Store and that is about half a block from my office and the Hilton I stay at.

5. jemhouston

It is. There's a few others in Houston also

6. Reid

Reid Loaded Pockets

Collectors Firearms is also worth a visit. They have a ton of stuff including antique firearms, swords, and knives. Here

7. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

The top brass on 59 has a bigger selection of maxped gear, but you are right, the north freeway location has lots of other gear.
    The container store is also an awesome place, but its a little pricey for some things.
    Lighthound is awesome, ive been in there several times. Its a little far from the galleria area though.

Collectors is awesome if you wanna look at guns. They have just about anything.
    They also have several old and discontinued spydercos and benchmades.

8. jemhouston

I’d like to amend my statement on Top Brass. I hadn’t been to the one on the Southwest Freeway lately.

It’s bigger than the one on the North (I-45 N) Freeway. It’s a store my credit card could easily get into trouble in.

The sales staff was helpful, but didn’t hover. Despite it being Saturday afternoon it wasn’t crowded.

When I checked out, I mentioned why I was in. I think it might have been the manager that waited on me, we talked a little. He was aware of EDC Forums since he used to lurk here. He had nice words to stay about forums and Jon.

He talked little about Top Brass. The stores on the SW and North Freeways are mostly new, not surplus. The Top Brasses on FM 1960 and Westheimer Rd are mostly surplus, but the one on Westheimer does have some new stuff also. There’s also one coming in San Antonio coming soon.

He mentioned some aftermarket manufactures are getting a double squeeze, between banks not extending credit and being sued by the makers of primary manufacturers.

There may be some changes coming to Lighthound, but he didn’t have details. I suspect the problems with the aftermarket manufacturers may be the reason. I’ll be watching their website to see what happens.

Grayman, that Whole Earth is where I picked up Surefire E2L AA for well under list price.

Nice thing about the local brick and mortar stores are talking to the staff, you find some interesting stuff.

Both stores are nice places to shop with helpful staff.

Buckles

I agree with you about the Container Stores, but I've found some stuff there that wouldn't be worthy ordering, but after handling it in store, I bought it. It's normally little stuff, but sometimes it bigger.

Grayman, that Whole Earth is where I picked up the Surefire E2L AA for well under list.

9. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I was in Houston last week, but I never got the opportunity to run around. I'll be back next Monday and Tuesday so I'm going to try again for the Whole Earth store.

10. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

well if you are ever in houston for a long period of time let us know. Be nice to hit the range or something with another forum member.

Btw my mom used to live in Broken Arrow