1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife complaints?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by danbo27, Feb 19, 2012.

1. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

I've bought many knives over the years..a few where real junk:

Cold Steel URK... I've had sharper butter knives new! I gave it away..

Rapala Hunting Knife.. another hard to sharpen/ dull out of the box fiasco.

How about ya'll?

2. akubra

akubra Loaded Pockets

In the nineties I had a Buck fixed blade knife (not sure what model number). It was in it`s sheath and fell on a tile floor, which caused the blade to break. It broke right through in the middle!
    I was quite surprised and somewhat shocked to see how poor the quality of that thing was.

3. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I buy Case, Victorinox and Buck. Rarely have I had problems with any. But when I do they correct it so I stick with those brands.

Sent from my Ally

4. bowerc

bowerc Loaded Pockets

I haven't tried Cold Steel but I don't feel like a potential customer to them. But Vic, Spyderco, and Benchmade get my money. Mostly Vic and Spyderco

5. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

Wishing Kershaw had a higher grade version of the Select Fire. I really like this knife.

KODIAKman likes this.
  6. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I have one heck of time getting a Buck 303 small stockman sharp.

I do not have a Case or a Swiss Army Knife that won't get AWESOME sharp.

7. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

I love my Spydercos! Just have a few, but love them. My issue is actually with my favorite, the Delica 4. It seems to me that all of the other Spyderco knives (or the ones without the FRN handles) have larger lanyard holes. I would like for the Delica 4 to have a larger lanyard hole and for Spyderco to change the dies for the FRN handles and give them something that you can slip 2 pieces of 550 cord through. That is my complaint. Any other knife I ever had an issue with was left sitting on the desk or given away if I had an issue with it. Not my Delica. It is a staple for me.

8. Chili-Mac

Chili-Mac Loaded Pockets

My only complaint with spydercos is that they look like complete garbage, but they sure are sharp.

Ronin87, ShadowE and THESAMSQUANCH like this.
  9. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

Buck
    I have been having quality issues with bucks lately...I just picked up a revel Saturday, out of all the new ones I chose the best grind and action, but the alignment was slightly off, No problem so I thought, I barely put and pressure on the pivot screw and it sheared off......Off it went to buck this morning.

I will stick to Kershaw, rarely do I have and issue with them.

10. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

+1.

11. StubbornWheat

StubbornWheat Loaded Pockets

you're opening up a can of worms. In fact, this whole thread is.... But I can't resist.

I've found coldsteel to be built like a tank, but never liked their locks. The Ti-Lite I had was impossible to open.
    The 2 Lone Wolf knives I've owned were complete garbage. Blade play was insane.

12. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Kershaw NRG: Never flicked out all the way without loosening the pivot and inducing blade play. Once it was halfway open but not locked it was really easy to hurt yourself. Cheap feeling traction inserts and generally ugly for no reason. Convinced me that flippers were a bad idea.

Kershaw Blur: If you try to open it like a Spyderco, meaning full thumb motion to open and lock the blade, it's really easy to put your thumb directly on the edge (since Speedsafe opens it ahead of your thumb). Required too much of a specialized motion to open, I returned it.

I'm spoiled by the simple Spyderco opening hole - it always works with no surprises. No gimmicks or tricks.

13. Chili-Mac

Chili-Mac Loaded Pockets

Going right for the throat ;D

SAKplumber likes this.
  14. bowerc

bowerc Loaded Pockets

That's what draws me in the most, now that I realize it, to Spyderco

15. pater

pater Loaded Pockets

I have only one cold steel knife, a Recon 1 Tanto, and unlilke OP mine is sharp as hell and holds an edge. But, like you, the lock is crazy hard to operate.

16. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I never bought the exotic looking stuff like that. I have owned a number of Voyagers over the years and still carry a 1st-gen Voyager sometimes. No problems manipulating the locks. Very sharp.

17. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I've never had a bad Spyderco and I've had a few.;D

The odder one's are some that work the best I've found.

My leatherman Wave will pinch my hand bad if I'm holding it chocked up on the handel and the pliers snap shut. Not a complaint but a concern.

I did buy a Boker with a sloppy linerlock one time. It should Have worked perfect for what I paid for it. :(

18. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Izula. It's neither a knife nor a crowbar, but somewhere in the between, and can't really be used as either with any success.

JonSidneyB and SAKplumber like this.
  19. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Oh, man. Where to begin? I could right a book about it. But putting aside, for the moment, my feelings about particular knife brands/models, I'd say my biggest complaint about modern folders is the fact that the thumb hole is not the standard opening method for all folders. Whatever other manufactures have to pay Spyderco for license to use it would be well worth it IMHO. I'd wager that if/when Spyderco stops enforcing their trademark, the thumb stud will go the way of the dinosaurs.

Slipjoint likes this.
  20. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with that ^.

All "Opening Hole" knives suffer from being rather wide in the pocket. I can reach down into my pocket better around a slimmer knife.

That said, I dearly loved the Spydy Sage I got to try in a pass-around and would "tote" one in a heartbeat!