1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife collectors/enthusiasts thread

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Kilotango, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Kilotango

Kilotango Empty Pockets

I decided to empty my work bag and office desk this morning, because i lost some keys that i cannot find. during this short operation i found myself with 5 different knives including my 2 EDC's.

apparently there is a psychological term called "Aichmomania"..which defines someone who has an obsession with sharp and pointy things. i definitely fall into this category after seeing my surprise collection of knives that came up randomly. i had a good laugh though, because i know i have another 2 knives in my car too, and a tonne at home. :)

i'm not exactly sure why i love these little magical tools, but i think its a primal thing thats in us. im hoping others can share their little stories too here.

[​IMG]

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

LOL.

I certainly also am addicted to knives as sharp and pointy things. But I've never been quite sure if it was the pointy part or sharp part or rather something else.

Ya see, I also have a basic fascination with other basic tools etc. In my case this is a clear addiction to pens and writing instruments (fountain pens plus mechanical pencils, ball points, roller balls, etc); I have also had a long fascination with archery - in particular the tradition 'instinctive' forms including just simple recurves (no sights, balancers, etc), Japanese samurai bows, English long bows, etc. Never cross bows or compound bows though! Although my watch collection includes many quartz watches (especially G-shocks), my pride and joy in the watches are mechanical/automatic watches.

Although not nearly as simple, I also prefer vehicles with a stick shift. NOT paddle shifters. Stick shift!

I will go out on a limb that many knife knuts will be own up to a generalized fascination with traditional hand tools... anyone want to chime in?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

That Movie Guy and Kilotango like this.
  3. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Most of these are practical, sensible knives, and then BOOM...a balisong! :) *tip of the hat*

My trouble is when i find a new thing, brand or general dohickey I do not want one. I want one of each. These scissors are a nice set, bit it just about kills me that I do not have the 2 or 3 remaining sizes [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. sasquatch

sasquatch Loaded Pockets

My own confrontation with my Aichmomania was 25 years ago in college. Class was in Files Management, and project was a database. So a cataloged all my cutlery according to price, type, size, make, etc. Just about shipped my pants when I ran a report on "price" and saw how much I'd already sunk into tempered martensite implements.
    If I were to re-do that database today, number of records would be quadruple. I think.

Everyone needs a balisong. Got mine in 1993 at a gunshow for $20. Shaving sharp, USA made.