1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife carry Toronto

Discussion in 'Knives' started by r-ice, Jul 21, 2010.

1. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

I just want to warn anybody who lives in Toronto or is visiting Toronto. something like a Mini grip is illegal, you may laugh and you may ridicule. I didn't think it was illegal since it doesn't have a spring and is not auto. However if you grip the knife with the blade opening side up and flick it. It will open with a very nice sounding schcccck and now you have a prohibited knife. Unless there is someway of locking it, so it cannot be flicked open with any amount of force, don't carry it.

I am in the process of emailing benchmade to see if there is anything that can be done or anything that can be modded to lock it down.

2. Sidetracker

Sidetracker Loaded Pockets

If this true, then most folding knives will be illegal because they can be "flicked" open. Do you have a link to this law?

3. jlagman

jlagman Loaded Pockets

I'd like to know the exact circumstances of your situation because as a fellow Torontonian, I haven't had problems carrying any of my folders, spring assisted or not. The laws are pretty vague aside from specifically banning autos, switchblades, and balisongs. On top of that, the knife has to be used as a weapon for it to be illegal, otherwise it's just treated as a tool. Now, if you're shipping a knife, it's a bit of a different story, but I've never ever had a problem carrying one on my person.

4. hiker123

hiker123 Empty Pockets

I'm in Ontario. My local outdoor store sells mini grips. Doubt they could import them if they were illegal. Knife laws are mostly vague so the officer in charge can do what he wants and not be wrong. Be smart and you should never have a reason to be checked.

5. NaOH

NaOH Loaded Pockets

If it's not prohibited it is legal. As far as I'm aware, there is no Canadian law prohibiting a folder to be opened that way.

6. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

There's the law to prevent gravity knife. Also the court precedence where a mil surplus shop owner was charged with selling gravity (flickable) knife and the judge made the cop flick every one and count those that can be flicked open as gravity knife.

So I guess it really depends on what mood the cop is in that day.

7. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Hey r-ice, I am also interested in the circumstances you found yourself in. I agree with Sidetracker, it is plausible that most folders can be flicked open if given enough force.

:popcorn:

8. brianch

brianch Empty Pockets

Non assisted folding knives are not illegal in Toronto or Canada. What is illegal is when you carry your knife as a weapon. Canadian carry laws are ****ed. It really depends on who is asking. You aren't not allowed to carry a knife (there is nothing saying you can't) but you aren't allowed to conceal weapons. Which sometimes (depending on who is asking) a knife is considered a weapon. I have carried locking folding knives on me for years and have been questioned about them. As long as you justify why you carry them (can't be defensive purposes) you will be ok. I use my knives for everything but defensive. They are ok as tools, not as weapons. And they can't be concealed (which also is not defined in the law)

9. Trippytiger

Trippytiger Empty Pockets

From the Canadian Criminal Code:

“prohibited weapon” means
    (a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or

Personally I feel that that should only cover knives designed to open that way, but that's just my opinion as a knife carrier, and the law has been applied against regular locking folders in the past. It's unfortunate, because it makes almost every modern locking folder potentially illegal (I can flick all of mine, except for maybe my RAT 1). And I have a feeling that if that law changes at all, it's only going to be for the worse. That's why I bought a Spyderco Urban!

As far as making the Mini Grip less likely to be deemed illegal, you may be able to tighten up the pivot screw enough to stop it from opening fully when you flick it. Mine arrived with the screw really, really tight, and I imagine the reason for that was to stop it from being labeled as a centrifugal force knife by Customs. Of course, it doesn't open very smoothly that way.

10. NaOH

NaOH Loaded Pockets

In Canada you can not carry a knife as a weapon (as stated above). Of course everyone I know only carries a knife to open parcels, cut apples, etc.

The police can not take away your tool but they can take away your weapon.

11. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

this is exactly it, the cop can take it away if he can flick it open... period...

They didn't take my knife away because a cop would not know that I had it unless I was playing around with it in the open. However I brought the knife out to show a friend who is a cop and he's like yah thats prohibited then proceeded to show me how he flicked it open. I was awestruck by how un-knowledgable in this I was.

12. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Thanks for clearing that up r-ice. I thought you had some trouble but if it was a buddy giving you a heads up you should still be okay to carry your knives. Like you said just don't be flipping it around and using it for purposes other than a tool in public and you should be okay. I am sure the cops have better things to do than to stop someone using their knife to cut up lunch or open a package just to see if they can flick it.

13. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

yups but if by any chance you were searched, I don't know for anything and they found a knife on you and wanted to charge you. They could and thats what I'm trying to give everyone a heads up on. I asked him because I wanted to make sure the length was proper and didn't know anything about the flicking part as I open my knife with the thumbstud.

14. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Its not only about knives but it gives certain political types a feeling of power to control people to a certain extent! To me a knife is a tool and usually a poor weapon of choice! One to use in the last ditch effort to survive!! The goverment wants to be the parent over the people! Sorry for my rant just my $ .02!!

15. r080

r080 Loaded Pockets

On almost every Benchmade Axis Lock knife, if you pull the lock stud back when the blade is closed, the blade can then swing free like a gravity knife. As you swing it open, you can release the lock stud and it will lock as normal. You can pull it back and flick the knife closed too.

I would suppose many knives with a similar lock mechanism could do this (I can't think of any Axis Lock competitors offhand). Be aware of this possibility if you live in an area which has legal precedence to consider these knives as gravity knives.

16. hiker123

hiker123 Empty Pockets