1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Knife - Amazing Steel

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Six String, May 7, 2013.

1. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

2. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

I hang around some knifemaker pages in Face Book and USN and people tend to see what other people own and what they like to buy. So, this guy sends me a Face Book PM and tells me he's a knifemaker in Waziribad, Pakistan. I tell him to send me some pictures of his work and he sends me a half dozen or so, including the pic I posted in this Thread.

Now, I don't know anything about knives from overseas or about this knifemaker. So, I've been exercising Google and asking people's opinion. It's not looking good. Yes, you can get quality knives from over there, but you can also get junk. It sounds like the junk outweighs the quality.

Based on the input I've received, I won't be going forward with discussions with this guy.

I appreciate everybody's input in here. It's one more instance of why this forum is such a great place to hang out. :)

3. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

Buddy of mine was showing off a knife he got that looked like Damascus. After I looked at it I pointed out that it was finished with some kind of darker oxidized coating, and the "Damascus" patter was just etched into that coating showing the true color of the steel. Cheap, cheap imitation.

Six String likes this.
  4. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

Lol, funny outcome. I thought it looked neat but if it's junk... Well that does make it less pretty!:D

Six String likes this.
  5. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

It's not exactly the same, there are small differences, but the overall style is too distinct to be a coincidence. But yeah, the signatures on both photos are the same, which pretty much confirms my suspicions.

Overall I'd say that the steel looks nice, but the knife design itself is tasteless and of dubious utility, like one of Gil Hibben's wall-hangers.

6. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

0 bids? How can that be.

7. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Now you know where my question came from?

Real makers don't randomly contact you and offer to make a knife - they showcase their stuff, solicit feedback, improvise their designs and then setup a nice website or post on bladeforums in the custom makers section. Or something like that.

And real makers won't accept money for a knife that hasn't yet been built - no advance, no deposit, nothing. Unless your request is so *unique* that they need to procure something from somewhere for a hefty price. 10/10 for most of us, we don't know what we want - we see some work and then we want it. :)

Oh and interestingly Jason Brous makes (or used to make) similar designs. They were weird, but his original work.

You can still purchase this knife - but have the maker send it to you first and the make payment. Or maybe pay $1 as a deposit. ;-)

8. thaeffman

thaeffman Loaded Pockets

automatic red flag right there, I'm glad you aren't going through with this transaction.

9. dyril

dyril Loaded Pockets

You can tell just how serious it is by choosing Comic Sans.

yo mama likes this.
  10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I could do without the stegosaurus stuff on the spine, but otherwise that thing is BA.