1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kletterwerks Daypack & Flip

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by s3k0j, Jan 20, 2017.

1. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

So I ordered a Kletterwerks Flip off MR's closeout, and they accidentally sent me the Daypack instead, same color at least. Customer service was helpful and the correct bag is on it's way, but I figured I'd take a few pictures for the members here before I send this one back, as MR's pictures on their site leave a little bit to the imagination...

This isn't a real review, as I won't be keeping the pack, and I can't really put it through any tests, but I'll write up my opinion of a few parts, and I'll answer any questions I can. Without further adieu...

[​IMG]
    Here is the front of the pack, the 1000D cordura is a little shiny, but not overly so, and the grey is darker than the pictures make it seem. Think Tom Bihn grey if you've got/seen one (one of the reasons I picked this colorway). The vertical zip is a nice visual break from the otherwise plain front. The retainer strap on the top left is removable, so all that would remain is a small loop.

[​IMG]
    The back is a flat piece of cordura with a small amount of padding behind it. And the straps are thickly padded, though spongy. Not sure how well the padding will hold up over time as it seems to give more than the straps on the Tom Bihn Synapse or MSM Adapt pack, both of which feature a thinner, firmer padding.

[​IMG]
    Inside the front pocket, no surprises. Liner is some type of nylon, seems sturdy enough. No internal pockets/pouches or zippers.

[​IMG]
    The main compartment is similarly spartan, aside from the laptop sleeve, which is slightly padded on both sides, and raised off the floor of the bag (nice touch). The retainer strap has both sides of velcro and can be doubled over on itself to hang a water bladder. Also, the "Made in the USA" tag is visible, so that should ease some minds as this line is, at least right now, still good 'ol Merica made.

[​IMG]
    I'm a fan of the overall aesthetic, and the leather badge on the front fits right in with the heritage theme.

[​IMG]
    Along with the badge are the nickel zips and buckles. These things are huge, not sure of the size, but they are as big as the main zipper on my MSM Adapt pack. YKK for all my friends.

[​IMG]
    The bottom is some type of ballistic nylon in an offset colorway. The iceaxe loop is visible as well.

[​IMG]
    Here is a better picture of the inside of the straps, complete with large-pocket air mesh. Not sure how the mesh will hold up over time, but it should help keep things cooler.

[​IMG]
    Here is a picture of it stuffed with whatever I could find. There are a couple of pillows so it bulges and rounds out a bit more than I would prefer, but it holds quite a bit more than I would expect given it's 15L rating.

[​IMG]
    Side view of the same. What structure the pack has is lent by the 1000D shell, so it will round out if over packed.

[​IMG]
    I had no banana for scale, so here is a comparison shot with my work EDC (and current favorite) MSM Adapt pack. They are similar in size and shape from the front, with the adapt pack being slightly taller. I just sold my Synapse 19, or I'd put it in the comparison as well.

[​IMG]
    Same comparison shot from the side. You can see the Daypack is significantly thinner front to back than the Adapt pack, which is where it looses some of its volume (15L vs 19L).

Both packs hold more than their rating would suggest. Either that or the design lends itself well to packing, as my Synapse 19 seemed smaller than the Adapt pack, and about the same size as the Daypack despite the volume difference.

I'm a fan of the Daypack overall, but it is just too small for me on a daily basis, hence the original order of the Flip (23L). The lack of organization might take some getting used to, as that is one thing I loved on the Synapse, we'll see how that plays out when I actually use the Flip.

I plan on putting up pictures of the Flip when it shows up, both comparison and solo. But check out PiterM's posts here for an excellent look at the Kletterwerks Flip (and one of the main reasons I bought the bag). Let me know if you've got any questions. Enjoy!

Legend, Ken Watson and Tenfooterpipi like this.
  2. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review. Hopefully your flip will be one of the old ones. the new ones on the site are made overseas. MR has come out with lots of new designs, all made overseas.

3. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

Ok.....either I misread or they are still making changes to the site. Now the Kletterflip is USA made. I'm back onboard. :)

4. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

Yup, just showed up in the mail today, pics incoming. Proudly displays the "made in USA" tag on the inside just like the daypack.

5. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

Awesome!! Hope you like it. It's a cool little pack. Should last forever. They are now selling a tri-zip version of it, with the Kletterwerks name, made in USA with some more colors available. It's a good sign that they are continuing the name and still making them here. Mystery Ranch has a pretty big commitment with the military right now.

6. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I have a red Daypack and Summit, and both are great packs. The Daypack is prefect for commuting to work, and the Summit is a slightly larger version with an interesting "wing" in between the zipper and the inside of the main compartment that will hold a Nalgene on each side.

I happen to have my Daypack with me today.
    [​IMG]

7. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

I took a look right after I saw this. I'm a big fan of their more modern tri-zip bag stylings, and I've got a camelbak tri-zip. Not sure how I feel about the meshing of the traditional style with modern zips though. Definitely different!

8. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

As promised, here are some pics of the Flip next to the Day pack, as well as some interior shots. So far I'm a fan. First test run this weekend!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With the pack inside out
    [​IMG]
    Access from the bottom inside, you can get to the back padded area behind the laptop sleeve, could easily put some heavy foam in for a frame sheet, great news for those concerned about rigidity
    [​IMG]

CyberBarista, Caleb and Bobby Leang like this.
  9. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the images... I've had one in my cart for a couple of days now... must.... resist....

10. Bloom

Bloom Loaded Pockets

Wow, the Kletterworks Flip looks killer. Did you guys see the "newer" version of this model, the Kletterworks Drei Zip? There aren't any internal shots, but it looks like the Kletterworks Flip with the Mystery Ranch tri-zip system added. I'm definitely intrigued.

11. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

When I first saw it I got really excited, especially seeing that it was also USA made, but the more time I spent looking at it and thinking about it, the less I liked the idea. I ended up buying an ASAP in Coyote. It's much smaller but it will be a classic MR design before long.

12. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

I'm having to resist buying an Urban Assault, minus the not made in the USA anymore... I'll probably end up with it in the end anyways. Once Paypal is accepted I"m done for.

13. CyberBarista

CyberBarista Empty Pockets

Is there anyway you could provide the dimensions of the laptop sleeve? I have the flip sitting in my cart right now but I'm not sure it'll fit my laptop 15.06" x 9.94" x .96". I'm worried it's not quite wide enough for mine. Thanks in advance!

14. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

Sorry it took awhile, just saw this. BLUF: I don't think you'll have any issues fitting your laptop.

Dimensions are approximately 13"T x 1.5"D x 11.5"W. There is space above the sleeve the laptop can stick out of without getting in the way of the retaining strap function. The 11.5"W is approximate and is the portion measured against the back panel. The front of the pouch is slightly skinnier, by about 1/2" on each side. However the baffles that allow the 1.5" depth can stick out even farther on both sides to fit stuff larger (though necessarily shallower).

The black piping that you see in the pictures above is the difference in width from the front and back portion of the sleeve, and again that portion between can expand width-wise instead of depth-wise if necessary. I have an 11.1" laptop that is 11.75"W, and it just barely cannot fit width-wise (so anything under 11.5" should be ok, though snug if too thick), but turn it on it's side like a normal person and there are no issues.

CyberBarista likes this.
  15. CyberBarista

CyberBarista Empty Pockets

Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed reply! That was just the information I needed. I'm heading over to there site now to purchase.

16. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

Were they ever made in the US? I had always thought they were originally made in the Philippines, and marketed towards the Japanese market for a while, like the Streetfighter.

Sand likes this.
  17. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

I don't think the Urban Assault was ever made in the US. I think only the 1-Day, Streetfighter, and Gunfighter were made in states; but since the Streetfigther/Gunfighter are now at their Clarksfield, PH factory.

18. Sand

Sand Loaded Pockets

The Urban Assault was always made in the Philippines as far as I know. I have both the Flip and the Urban Assault. Love them both. Wish the Flip had a pocket or two on the inside but other than that no complaints. I've been using the ice axe holder for an umbrella and it works great. If you do use that for anything I imagine it being an impediment to the new tri-zip configuration (Drei).

19. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

Yeah, my bad on the location, still want one! Can't justify another bag right now though...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

20. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

I learn something new every day... I did not know there was a USA made Streetfighter. I need to hunt one down!

Kletterwerks day pack update: In a moment of weakness I ordered black and rust/ink ones over the weekend. You can't beat that price for what you get, and it looks like they stopped making them.