1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Klean Kanteen and carbonated beverages

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by el chupacabra, Jul 11, 2010.

1. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

Anyone have any experience or advice on carrying carbonated liquids in a Klean Kanteen?

2. Highvalleyranch

Highvalleyranch Loaded Pockets

Seems like they would start to loose their fizz as soon as you transferred it to the canteen?
    I like to carry 1/2 cans of 7up in my ECD and emergency car supplies.

3. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Yeah...I can't hardly start my day without a Coca Cola. it doesn't even really have to be cold (just not hot). Those little half cans are life savers. I take 2 for an overnight trip..the weight in my pack is negligeable and worth it as long as I can have at least a morning soda. (i don't care for coffee at all)

4. Dr_C.

Dr_C. Empty Pockets

Pepsi Max is my one vice. I used to fill up an old 500/600ml bottle from a 2l bottle at home to take out with me on workdays or if going out to the shops on weekends, mainly to stop me buying overpriced smaller bottles from shops whilst out and about. The disappointing thing was that it wouldn't stay cold very long and I do not enjoy carbonated drinks when they are lukewarm. Thankfully, Klean Kanteen released the Swing-Lok lid for the beer growler market; combined with the 591ml (20 US fl.oz) insulated classic, it is my perfect solution for having a cold, carbonated beverage wherever I am.

5. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Yes, I've used a wide mouth, insulated, KK bottle for soda because I wanted some ice in there to keep it cold. As has been said, it's going to lose some of its fizz.

6. Dr_C.

Dr_C. Empty Pockets

True. Any time a fizzy drink is decanted is going to cause some loss of fizz, although it may be offset slightly when using an insulated container because carbonated liquids tend to vent out more CO2 when they are warmer.

7. Blackheart

Meh, probably the same as using the soft drink tap to fill a cup at a fast food place or the Quik-E-Mart.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Not really. Those dispensers are not dispensing from a tank of carbonated liquid. IIRC, the machines have lines for water, CO2, and syrup which are mixed as they are dispensed.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. Blackheart

I'm just saying that the act of pouring (decanting), whether from the tap or a can, probably causes some loss of carbonation. Not a big deal. Lots of people prefer to pour their soft drink from a can into a glass.

10. fangtastic

fangtastic Loaded Pockets

My work has a carbonated water machine and I use it to fill my klean kanteen. You will lose fizz, as others have said, along with the negative that when you open the bottle the pressure will throw liquid in your face.

11. Dr_C.

Dr_C. Empty Pockets

The swing-lock lid is good for reducing that compared to the screw-on lids

12. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I have a 20oz insulated Kleen Kanteen which has contained Coke Zero and in a moment of madness Pepsi Max. More usually it contains Gin & Tonic with a sprig of Thyme and a couple of 1.25" ice cubes that you can fit due to the large lid aperture. Open with care and don't overfill and you will be fine. On other occasions it has held Prosecco, Chardonnay and other tasty beverages. Such capabilities serve the EDCer well around (or in) resort pools on islands with extortionate bar prices.

tbzbbt

13. Dr_C.

Dr_C. Empty Pockets

That's how I justified the price of the Klean Kanteen; it's easily saved me over £100 in buying over-priced drinks whilst I'm out and about

14. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Last week I bought a smaller insulated Klean Kanteen in matt black finish in a brands discount store. More convenient to carry but I bought it cos it looked cool. The smaller size is still sufficient for days out when not to far from shops. The cap is narrower though.

Tbzbbt

#14 tbzbbt, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017