1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kizer Ki4448 Assist GTi S35VN First Impressions

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by chaosmagnet, May 19, 2017 at 10:41 AM.

1. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I bought this knife from Massdrop, with my own funds. I don't have any association with Massdrop or Kizer other than as a customer. This is copied from a forum post I wrote on Massdrop:

I've had mine for a couple days now, and it's a disappointment. The blade is significantly off-center, and has some play left to right when deployed. The blade came only sorta-sharp. When I stropped it, the TiCN coating came off at the crease where the cheek meets the spine, leaving a shiny strip there. By contrast other knives I own with DLC coating (which shouldn't be as durable as TiCN) have never had this kind of issue. The thumb studs are worthless -- the blade cannot be deployed that way without huge effort. It's obvious that nobody actually tried to use them during any kind of design or testing process.

On the plus side, I like the size, ergonomics, weight, scales, and pocket clip a lot. It looks nice, sharpened up easily enough, deploys easily and closes slowly (due to the assist spring) but safely. Jimping is in all the right places and is a nice texture. I haven't tried the glassbreaker yet but it's not catching on my clothes or otherwise causing me problems.

If the knife had come sharp, the TiCN coating wasn't so delicate, the blade was centered and didn't have noticeable play, I'd be very happy with this.

As it is, at this price point, the QC issues are inexcusable. Buying a Kizer knife was an experiment for me, one I won't repeat.