1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

KITCHENAID Stand Mixer

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by themadplumbarian, Mar 2, 2012.

1. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

A good indorsement for them when I got one years ago was the number of cooking shows that used one and other cooks I knew who had one and would not buy any other brand.

Go to a good store that deals with items for people who cook and not just a department or big box store. They'll actually know what the heck they're doing and be able to tell you about which one is best for your needs. Pick their brains since the costs add up quickly depending on model and what you get with it. Be sure to play with one before you buy it and be sure to look at the attachments. Be sure that all the attachments you want will work on the model you're considering (OOOooo, there's just too much that could go wrong with that phrase, isn't there?).

They are workhorses and should last a long time if you get the best size for what you need.

Be smart about the attachments since the cost adds up. Something like the ice cream maker might sould neat but what if you only use it once every 5 years? Do you really want to make pasta? And so on. Most models will use all or most of the attachments so you do not need to buy them all at once. Not sure about them now but even the really old models would use the newer attachments.

They do not always clean the side of the bowl without scraping for some recipes so be sure that you can get into the bowl with it still attached to the mixer. Not a big deal scraping a bowl... unless you have to take the machine apart to do it. Shouldn't be a problem with them but it's good to be certain.

Good extras to get are bowl shields -- they keep stuff from getting all over the counter top. Also having a second bowl makes some situations a lot easier (do you throw parties or cook for a large family?).

Most will make bread dough but like with any mixer if it starts to slow up under load, slow down or cut back on the size of the batch. Not doing that gets expensive.

I miss mine (the wife got took it. She thought it was a waste of money when I bought it -- "Why can't you just use a hand mixer?" Unfortunately she found out the difference).

BTW, they used to come with a recipe book that had an "english muffin loaf" bread. If you can find the recipe it's mighty tasty. Makes two loaves and it only rises once so ya don't have to mess around with it. A two loaf batch didn't last for more than a day.

2. tacticalchef

tacticalchef Loaded Pockets

I have the 4.5 quart mixer with the 250 watt motor. I would have bought the larger but I received this as a gift more than 20 years ago. I don't use it every day but when I use it, it does the job perfectly. I have probably pushed it past it's design limits on several occasions and I keep a set of brushes for it in the kitchen drawer. When space permits I will probably buy a 20 quart.

I have the meat grinder attachment which does a pretty good job. The pasta extruder is fair. My next purchase will be the pasta roller attachment.

As far a color goes - a creative auto body shop can make the mixer any color you want. They may look at you funny but it is easy enough to do. I had clients who insisted their new fridge match the rest of their ugly avocado appliances. It can be done, but they sure looked at me funny.

3. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Think I'm going to go visit the local Hawg shop and see what decals they have.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Thats the one i want, the flying tiger shark!! JR

5. tacticalchef

tacticalchef Loaded Pockets

Those are some good looking mixers!

6. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

When my wife and I first got together she laughed at my kitchen setup - which included a Kitchenaid 'lift' mixer. She didn't laugh after trying it, they are pretty close to bulletproof. My grandma had one and as a kid I remember sneaking dough out of the bowl when her back was turned. Once, she pulled a maple stick out of the backyard (I swear I thought she was going to break it across my behind), put it in the bowl, and turned the mixer on, snapping the branch into matchsticks. She said, "don't play in the mixer - you can lick the bowl AFTER I'm done". Made her point.

7. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

That awesome, and I really want to try it, but I think I'll refrain.

8. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

I think I was about 7 - can't remember but I believe the stick wasn't as thick as a broomstick but thicker than a switch - which size did get busted over my buns, more than once. Knowing Grandma she probably picked a dry and brittle twig - she wasn't about to bust up the Kitchenaid & hold up pie and cookie production for Paw-Paw and me.

9. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I got my wife one about 6-7years ago. The head tilts up and you can remove the bowl with the beaters/mixers still attached. She is very happy with it. It helps to make good crusts for pies she says. Who doesn't like pie?

10. Rule .308

Rule .308 Empty Pockets

I bought my wife one years ago too, the tilt up head model. I do use it from time to time when I am in the kitchen. Great product, hard to go wrong any way you go on this one.

11. RexHavoc

RexHavoc Loaded Pockets

Got my K/A tilt-up at a garage sale, it's old, 70s model, no ground prong. $15, thank you!

12. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets