1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ManVsLawn, Aug 17, 2014.

1. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm in the need of one good kitchen knife. The classic (around 6-8inch) blade, very similar to this one.

[​IMG]

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, it is not 'gear carried', but it is a 'knife'....Admins, I trust your relocation skillz.

Anyway, under 50$ if possible. I'm looking for just an all around decent sous chef type knife, one that will get used in the kitchen for nearly everything. Chopping onions, slicing this and that.

It needs a decent steel but I can sharpen so if not the best, I'm okay with this. It does, however, need to be considered a "solid" knife. (as in, ESEE or KaBar are solid, but not 'the best'). I am tired of my crappy set of kitchen hodge podge of knives.

Preferably something I can purchase online as I hate any 'real' shopping (besides food shopping hah).

Thanks, in advance. I come to this site for information regarding sharp, shiny things of all sorts.

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

You no trust Moderator's relocation skillz?!

[​IMG]

Its good enough for me. Its not Every Day Carry for most people, but it is for some. I have a FredrickDick set I EDC'd in Culinary School. :)

3. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I have that exact same knife. J Henckles I'm assuming. That's what it looks like. We actually got the whole set with the block from our wedding registry.

It is an excellent knife and I highly recommend it. I do a lot of cooking and the chefs knife is what I go for the most. Great for meat, chopping veggies, anything.

Don't sharpen yourself unless you know what you are doing. Use a steel and hone it regularly. I hone my knives right after I use them every time. I have had them three years now and they are still nice and sharp.

thePlumbah and ManVsLawn like this.
  4. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used to work in a lot of kitchens. A lot of 'from scratch' places that required a lot of chopping. A good go to chef knife was always needed. Thanks. It is J A Henckels... I seriously just pulled that image out of a google search.

Edit found it on the bay for 16$ shipped... wha wha?! Too good to be true?!

5. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Cooks Illustrated magazine consistently rated the Victorinox Fibrox chef knives at the top. Even when compared to knives 5x as much, it has been on my Amazon list for a while, only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because I bought some Chinese style chef knives (in Chinatown of course) for under 10$ and they are also great.

6. that_stupid_kydd

that_stupid_kydd Loaded Pockets

i second the J A Henckels kitchen knives, i have a santoku knife made by them and it's my go to knife in the kitchen and pretty much does everything and gets scary sharp

7. mattchef

mattchef Loaded Pockets

Not a big Henkels fan. My experience is they don't hold an edge well and you will be grinding it away on a stone.

I have messermeister 10" chefs knife, some wusthof, a dozen or so globals, a few shun Ken onions, the knife I use most is a Wusthof serrated utility. I use it for all veggies an about 75% of all cutting, It's a way better option imo.

I'm my experiences there is no one knife for everything in the kitchen. You will need more than one knife for kitchen duties. I highly suggest finding a cheap serrated utility knife(they make some that look exactly like chef's knives with serrated edge victorinox makes them). Victorinox makes cheap chef knives as well. You can get both and fill all your kitchen needs.

holygoat likes this.
  8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

My Fredrick Dick chef was stolen and I picked up a Wusthof at a local knife store. They gave me a discount because I managed a WaffleHouse :D and if I recall correctly it was $40 or $80. I use a steel on it and rarely need to sharpen it on a stone.

But that was near 20 years ago, so I'm pretty sure you can get something similar cheaper.

ManVsLawn...That $16 knife is likely to get you exactly what you pay for, or even less:eek: Too good to be true, IMHO, considering that many companies now have there products made cheaper elsewhere and shipped back. Screwin' the other buy and passing the savings on to you :rolleyes: Riiiight ;)

ManVsLawn likes this.
  9. holygoat

holygoat Loaded Pockets

Not impressed by the Henckels grind or steel. I enjoy my Ken Onion Shuns.

10. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

ROFLMAO!!!!

Now that made me laugh, thanks Plumbah, I needed that :D

thePlumbah likes this.
  11. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

I bought my wife a Masakage Kiri Gyuto 180 last year, and it has been a fantastic knife, definately the best kitchen knife we have ever tried; right from the walmart and fleamarket 10 doallr specials, up to the Henckels and Wusthofs (and other 'high end' brands) we have tried.

it gets super sharp, sharpens easily on a diamond steel, slices like a laser and is just an all around great knife. It does require some extra care because of the plain carbon elements in the damascus blade, but now that it has developed a proper patina it is easy to care for, and looks great.

It was not a cheap knife, but it was well worth it. like anything in the knife world, you get what you pay for...

btw, I bought it locally, but they are available online, just google: "knifewear masakage kiri gyuto 180"

I'll try to remember to take a couple of pics of it tomorrow after I get home from work.

12. TDS

TDS Loaded Pockets

i have a Svord santoku on the way :)

13. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

The Victorinox kitchen knives are decent, but I wouldn't rate them at the top. IMHO, they should be rated at the bottom of the "good" segment, if that makes any sense. When it comes to value for money, on the other hand, you cannot go wrong with Victorinox in the kitchen!

survivorman and nicknapp like this.
  14. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

Culinary school eh?! You never cease to amaze mr thePlumbah! cool!

ManVsLawn and thePlumbah like this.
  15. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I wouldn't be too impressed... remember the 1993 Jack in the Box E. coli outbreak?? All him. Seems to kitty doesn't know how to wash his paws before he flips burgers!!!!

J/K. He is quite talented isn't he? LOL

ManVsLawn, thePlumbah and SMAJ like this.
  16. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

My main large kitchen knife since about 10 years is a W├╝sthof. It is pretty solid and easy to sharpen. It is a very good and practical knife and i can recommend it. I do pretty much everything from cutting herbs to cutting small bones with this one knife.
    Prices are in the mid region , but the knives are definetly worth the money. Check out their Classic line 20 and 26cm cooking knives. :ninja:

ManVsLawn likes this.