1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kit for trunk of wifes car.

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by usmc18, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

Just remember that the "10 year" shelf life is under "standard" conditions at best... room temperature. Possibly refrigerated, if they want to cheat. Just like MREs and almost everything else, high temps reduce life. Leave those batteries in the trunk through the hot, blazing summer, and I bet you won't see 10 years out of 'em.

2. usmc18

usmc18 Loaded Pockets

Great ideas.. Thanks so much.

3. MartinTravels

MartinTravels Empty Pockets

Jumper Cables
    Fix-A-Flat
    Road Flares
    Gloves
    Cash

4. Safety1st

Safety1st Loaded Pockets

As a Traffic Cop, I can't recommend highly enough carrying a foldable WARNING TRIANGLE..

This simply device saves lives. Period.

It'll give oncoming drivers an early 'heads up' if you break down and gives them valuable seconds to deal with the hazard they are approaching.

Such a triangle is inexpensive and stores away in the boot, perhaps never to be used for years and years. But when you break down one night, on a lonely, fast and dangerous road - you'll be pleased you had one with you. Trust me.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

+++ on the AAA membership and the cellphone with charger. I'd also recommend that the flashlight is one of those "shake-a-light" flashlights: seems that the battery ones you keep in the car don't get checked often enough. The "shake-a-light" flashlights are OK for short term use, but I wouldn't want to have to use'em for days. Also, I've used the large green trashbags as emergency rain jackets before: just cut or tear opening for neck and arms.

6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Those shake lights don't work nearly as well as what you see advertised on TV. Plus, most folks will let the legit ones run down. Then end up shaking the Hell out of one for about 5 minutes after breaking down. And just end up with barely useable output. But a lot of shake lights are fakes. Look closely and you'll see the coin-cell batteries.

Long-term storage in a car, a light running off of one CR123 cell is the way to go.

7. HammerNAnvil

HammerNAnvil Empty Pockets

Where auto road kits has been concerned (among a lot of other things) I had to start early getting my wife on the program. That is, not just have it but know what is in there and how to use it. This has helped not only my peace of mind but also getting my sons thinking this way as they grow up since it comes from me and their mother.
    One. Yes, water and use it regularly, pour it on the bug spatter, the mud on the mirrors from the dirt road etc. then refill it, keep it fresh, at least once a month. Is it drinkable after 30 days? This goes for edibles too. Get extra and try them out after a week or month in the summer. Will it last 3 months? 6? Even this excercise can help keep in mind that like oil changes, it needs to be kept up with. Along with this I add SUPER GLOVES. Thats how I refer to 53 gallon trash bags. Take at least 1 large trash bag and carefully fold it the long way on your dining table of place large enough to work the air out. fold it untill its 4 to 5 inches wide, then fold end over end or rolldown compact and place in a ziplock.
    Most women don't want to handle or are not dressed to handle a grimmy tire. (also useful for unfortunate accidents including runover pets) A 53 gallon bag covers a lot that most people could physically pick up.

Two. I know quite a few people keep road flares in their trunk. I used to when I used them a lot.
    I don't anymore because of my different situation. The warning triangles are far better for the auto owner. Police use flares and a lot of them, they burn bright and hot, produce effective notice and can be left to burn out without returning for them. Most owners aren't going far from their vehicle until a fix or tow, they can pack triangles to go when leaving. Flares bear close monitoring and can go bad after time in the trunk causing messy, potentially hazardous breakdown of it's chemicals.
    If you couple one or more 360 degree battery strobes with a triangle the notice is even more effective and can be deployed in the front and back glass in really bad conditions. Also strobes placed in front of a license plate as it's reflector really jumps out at you at night. Flashers can mean any number of things and drivers have become too casual when both using them and seeing them displayed. Strobes get noticed far better. If stopped for a long time a car battery can go down using flashers. If you have to leave the vehicle, strobes can be left on without effecting the car battery and many strobes run 48 hours or more on a good battery. Lowe's stores have one made for truck tool boxes with magnetic base which uses LED's and has 3 positions, on/high strobe/low strobe for about 10$ that uses common batteries.

Three.
    Has the other person changed a wheel on this vehicle? Have you?
    Looking in the owners manual of course is the first step because of variations in different makes and even in the same model of some makes.
    A drawing is ok but a black line drawing doesn't always look the same as laying on the ground beside a car with the passenger side in the rough.
    Last year on a hot Sunday afternoon I pulled over on the Interstate to help an older couple that had an obvious flat.
    A 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis, it looks like my Ford Crown Vic. but things were different.
    A full size spare and heavy jack in mine, a smaller jack and running spare in theirs.
    The cutout for jack position I was feeling for under the floor pan wasnt there, a different location on their Merc. One thing they did have was an old bedspead in the trunk to put on the ground.
    After looking in their manual I located the lifting point and noted that certain models could only be lifted from 2 places ( nice huh?)
    After getting the jack positioned and lifted a bit I learned the ground wasn't going to support lifting there. He had pulled over as far as he could and it was too far. After undoing all this and moving the ground was still too soft so I got a piece of 2" x 12" 18" long I keep in my trunk for this issue. (I've helped change a lot over the years, but nt so much in recent times) After I got it up this time I found I couldn't budge the first lugnut. I thought, "surely this isnt cross-threaded?" I tried the next, no go.
    About this time an off-duty deputy sheriff stopped to give us a hand. He had big pair of cross wrenches (Standard and Metric) in his trunk. He found the right end and began to sweat, "what's the deal with this?". No go.
    I got down to lift as he pushed down, no go. He went back to his trunk and pulled out 2 pieces of pipe to go over the ends. Finally after a lot of strain it moved. Pulled the wrench back to move a point and I'm thinking this thing is cross threaded. After another 1/8th turn it slipped free, no cross-thread damage, all 5 just too tight. I asked the gentleman who had mounted his tires. The dealership had using an air wrench. It was enough torque to almost break a lug which would be very bad. ( enough for me to get the dealers name from him and call the service manager myself the next day.)
    My point to this is that having the tools is good but not always enough and self-education is a start. Knowing what is going on with a particular vehicle helps give an idea about what might be faced in time of need. It seems to happen at the worst time, place and conditions. Most AAA I know won't come out unless you call in with a card number and it may be awhile before they show up.
    To cap off story time, in case you haven't heard this.....
    A guy is driving down the street near the edge of town and he sees a sign along a fence "State Hospital and Sanitorium" About this time he feels a bump and hears a pop. Realizing he had run over something and feeling the steering pull hard he pulls over and gets out to check his tires. The front passenger tire had picked up a nail in the road and put small jagged hole near the edge leaking air fast. He went to the trunk and opened it getting out his jack and spare tire.
    As he rolled the tire around the front he noticed a patient in pajamas and bathrobe from the hospital standing at the fence observing his mishap. He tries to ignore the patient, who was making him nervous watching.

He pops of his hub cap and then jacks the front up. After this he removes the nuts placing them in the hubcap as he takes them one by one. He pulls the damged tire with wheel from the car and gets up to take it to the trunk. As he turns he accidently kicks the hubcap and the lugnuts roll out and down toward the storm drain. He sees them all rolling away, helpless to catch them in time. He looks up and the patient is still watching. The man shakes his head thinking what to do next. He tries to feel in the drain but no luck.
    He walks over to the car and looks forlorn as he hears a voice from across the fence, "Hey buddy". He turns and the patient motions him over. He says " Your in quite a fix, if it was my car, I would take one lugnut from each of the other 3 wheels and put them on your spare till you can get it all fixed." The driver looked at him and said, "That's brilliant! I would have never thought of that. If your this smart why are you in here?" The patient stood bolt upright and said "I may have my problems but I'm not stupid !"

Everyone has worth and value, do we stop to listen?

8. tacticalcarry

tacticalcarry Loaded Pockets

I think I will have to start making one of these for my fiance. It will be hard to not have it become huge with all the stuff that goes in it.

9. **cutup**

**cutup** Loaded Pockets

12 guage or .357. And ear plugs I guess.

10. Spectre

Spectre Empty Pockets

You dont need a vacuum food packer.. use heavy duty freezer ziploc bags. and squash all the air out. works sooo well at organization and protection. you can label it too.

11. Xerxes

Xerxes Loaded Pockets

I agree with the advice to make sure to know how to change a wheel by checking in daylight on a dry day. Recently I had a flat in a snowstorm at night, in a relatively new car. It wasn't comfortable to discover that I didn't know where the jacking points are, that my wheel wrench didn't fit, that I couldn't remember where the key for the security lugs was kept ... Happily I was on my way within 20 minutes.

I like to carry an extending wrench to provide enough torque for lugs that have been overtightened, and socket spanners to cover other people's nut sizes as well as my own, as helping to change someone else's wheel is as likely as doing one of my own. I once had to use a 3/8" socket and a small ratchet to help out a friend; it worked, but I had to throw the tools away afterwards.

Here's what I keep in the car:

windscreen scraper/ squeegee
    reflective waistcoat (this must be easy to get at, so it can be put on before getting out if necessary)
    wind-up torch [flash light]
    emergency hammer (for breaking glass)
    fire extinguisher
    first aid kit
    tyre gauge (not essential, but I like having a known reference)
    windscreen wipes
    paper
    pens
    accident report form
    phone charger
    plastic spoons (in case of needing to eat things bought on the journey)
    drinking water
    cereal bars or chocolate (if I'm a long way from home; I don't leave these in the car)

in the boot (trunk)
    tow rope
    warning triangle
    blanket
    space blanket
    whistle
    folding rain coat
    nitrile gloves
    booster cables
    old towel

tools

wheel wrench
    screwdrivers
    pliers
    adjustable wrench
    knife
    haemostats
    socket set
    spanners
    hammer
    junior hacksaw
    spare bulbs
    fuses
    cable ties
    copper wire
    insulation tape

It's easy making these lists. It's also easy to take stuff out, or use it up and forget to replace it. Sometimes things have to be left at home to make space (I have a tiny car at present). One has to be careful not to add useless weight, which costs money in fuel to carry around.

12. WESBC

WESBC Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    + more

maybe i'll list everything if I get bored tonight

13. rosshs

rosshs Loaded Pockets

2 things i have in my car that i've not seen listed yet ( sorry if i missed them) are spare bulbs and fuses for the car, and clear sticky backed plastic (big enough to cover the biggest window (there's nothing quite like driving home in the middle of the night with a smashed window when its -4 outside)

14. snash

snash Empty Pockets

Emergency Kits do pay off

We were on the way back home from the Texas Coast today (Sunday) and the right tire started losing pressure. Pulled over, found a screw in the tire. Sunday in the Texas countryside it's a bit tough to find a tire shop. Luckily, I had a leatherman in the car and a tire patch kit. Pulled the screw out, patched the tire, and repressurized it with a compressor. Took a while but we got home.

Will get it to a tire dealer tomorrow to get it fixed properly

15. BaldEagle5556

BaldEagle5556 Loaded Pockets

Some good thinking and suggestions here.....I need to look at my wife's car!!!!!

16. oronocova

oronocova Loaded Pockets

I always thought it would be handy to make a length of air hose with a screw on end for a valve stem and the other end a tire filler. That way if you just need a little more air in one tire you can let a little out of each or your others.

17. Travis

Travis Loaded Pockets

Instead of jumper cables you might want to consider a battery jumpstart pack. They allow for you or your wife to do the jumpstart themselves instead of trying to find someone else willing to help which can be difficult. I recently picked up a 500 amp jump pack for $40.00 and jumper cables were $25.00 right next to it so the extra $15.00 seems like an easy decision. Just have to charge it every couple of months to keep it topped off and it has a 12 volt plug if you need to run something off of it as well.

18. lab72

lab72 Loaded Pockets

That looks very cool ;D:clap:

19. seeker_two

seeker_two Loaded Pockets

Vacuum packer not needed....use Space Bags....very convenient and reusable....

20. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

Definitely a better option. the one I have also has an air compressor on it; reinflate a tire & beach toys :)

On AAA, I know a lot of people swear by it but, I get my maps on google/gps, do my own travel on line, and for roadside assistance it's an option on my auto insurance policy for $5.00 a year. Used it a couple of times over the years with excellent service.

For a gas can, if you call roadside assistance and they say it'll be an hour before they can get to you but you can see the next gas station consider packing http://www.itzagascan.com/ to save space.