1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kiridashi questions

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Thisguy93, May 25, 2016.

1. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

Anyone ever carry these? Do you find them useful? What are the pros/ cons of carrying one?

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

I have been wanting one for a long while --- still bummed I missed out on the Atwood Snakebites back when they were available.

3. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I have one on my desk I use for opening packages, mail, and whatever else. It isn't a very practical blade for carry in my opinion. This is mainly due to the need of a sheath. However, I due recall coming across a folding Kiridashi, but I don't remember the maker or where I saw it. The closest I've had to a pocketable Kiridashi was made by Ecos Knives.

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

If I were to carry one, I think I'd mostly use it as a marking knife when woodworking, and for whittling, and to sharpen pencils.

5. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry one daily. I use it mostly for precise work, cutting anything hard (wood, thicker plastic) just slips away (slicing), because of the geometry.
    [​IMG]SAM_1112 by ihatebottleopeners, on Flickr

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I use a kiridashi that I've bought in Nara, Japan, as a souvenir on job. It's great for exact cuts in leather due to the single grind and it holds a super fine edge like no other knife I own because it's laminated steel, a hard layer for the cutting edge and a softer area to prevent it to crack like a ceramic knife if it ever falls down onto the the floor (the edge would chip anyways :p ).

[​IMG]

Only the one in the middle is a "real" kiridashi but the idea of such a simple design was not only invented in Japan.
    The sliding Olfa knife could be an edc knife, I've even put a clip on it but I like folders more ;)

[​IMG]

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

Awesome thanks for all the info! I would be making a leather sheath for it and using it for around the house and little cutting projects

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

Adahn likes this.