1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kind of new here; Looking for a watch.

Discussion in 'Watches' started by ?uesto, Mar 18, 2010.

1. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

My dad is in the business (jewelry, but he's a watchmaker/dealer), and told me to start looking into some watches come graduation time. I currently have a G-Shock DW-9051 and a Timex Expedition, but the G-Shock is very old and becoming problematic, and I really don't like the Timex. I was looking at some Seikos and Citizens, but my dad recommended something with longevity and resale value, (whether I decide to sell it one day is irrelevant, it's the quality and value that he wants me to look for I guess).

I have no idea what kind of price range he has in mind, but being in the business, I'm sure it's not a huge deal. He recommended Rolex, Omega, IWC, and a few others, (don't remember). I'm sure he'll be looking for a used one.

I don't think I'm gonna be too picky, but I'd rather get opinions here from people with experience with each watch that's recommended. It should definitely be a diver's watch, and something with an easily swappable band. I absolutely despise metal bands, so I'd get myself a Nylon and maybe a Leather. I'm not exactly sure what else I should be looking for, so any starting information or things I should pay attention to would be great.

Thanks,
    -?

2. t0mcat

t0mcat Loaded Pockets

My Top Pick would be a Suunto I currently have a Suunto Core All Black. They also have more classic models.
    If I had the money I would go for something from Tissot or Breitling.

3. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

You need to give us some idea of your price range. $1000? $2000? 5000$? It really makes a big difference in our ability to recommend. There are some really great watches in all price categories.

4. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

I bought a used rolex submariner stainless off ebay in 2001 and I've worn it almost everyday since. It looks just as nice today as it did the day I bought it and I've exposed it to things you really shouldn't expose any watch to. It isn't, however, as accurate as a timex. I lose about 4 sec a day. If I was going to do it over again, I'd do it over again. It was expensive, but I've enjoyed it everyday I've owned it. It's the only jewelry (yes, it's jewelry b/c the movement ain't worth the price) besides my wedding ring that I ever wear. I've never said, 'boy, I wish I didn't buy that.'

Any of the top shelf brands will last you a lifetime and will make your heir extremely pleased. Pick the one you like the best (rolex, omega, etc.) and can afford and enjoy .....

5. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I have a Rolex which I love, 2 Timexes (e-tides) which I love. I have owned Seikos, Suuntos others and really liked them all. If you buy something of good quality, it almost doesn't matter the brand. There are so many good deals in watches right now, making a recommendation would be contingent on your personal use. Will you be using it for sport (which ones?), Work (what do you do?). Are you often in the wilderness, the cold, do you fly a lot, etc., etc.?

6. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

I would probably say nothing more than $1,000. I really have no idea what my dad can/will get, and how much he will have to pay for it. For example, he's a certified Seiko & Citizen dealer, so he gets them at 63% off retail. A Rolex, on the other hand, he would probably have to get used, and still pay a lot for it.

I won't be wearing this one for many sports. Anything that will get the watch bumped up against, scratched often, etc. will require my G-Shock. Most likely, I'll be swimming, water sports, and diving. I don't fly too often. About 5-10 times per year, depending on the family. I think the heat, the water, and the humidity are the main things to worry about.

7. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Sinn 556 or 656 on leather strap. Replace the band for a nice NATO strap for around water uses.

8. MartinTravels

MartinTravels Empty Pockets

I would recommend the Marathon MSAR Dive watch. A great looking practical well made piece that will last for years and years.

Key Features:

1) Automatic Movement (this will appeal to the "watchmaker" side of your dad)
    2) Tritium Vials on all hours, minute, and second hand
    3) Rotating Bezel
    4) Indestructable
    5) Date

This is just a no frills bullet proof good looking watch that is great for diving or casual wear. I think it costs around $700.
    [​IMG]

http://www.marathonwatch.com/site/catalog.php?pid=ww194006

9. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

I had brought these up. He's a bit concerned though, simply because he's never heard of these. Is Marathon mostly a military-watch manufacturer? Is there something I can show him that will positively influence his opinion on these?

10. MartinTravels

MartinTravels Empty Pockets

Well they have an official exclusive contract with both the US (including NASA) and Canadian governments. As far as I know, they beat out Traser, Luminox, and the like. If it's good enough for astronauts, it's good enough for me. I'm sure a little research will reveal the quality of the company.

If he is really unconvinced, I have an alternative suggestion. It is very similar to the Marathon, except it has MORE tritium vials (second hand, bezel, and TWO orange vials at 12), is made in limited numbers (the number is engraved on the back) by a Korean watchmaker, and the movement is a Miyota 8215 automatic movement (your father will recognize this as a very solid Citizen movement, so he could even service it). It is not made in the USA like the Marathon (but then again neither are Citizen and Seiko). In my opinion, this is an heirloom quality piece.

It does come with a steel bracelet, so that would need to be swapped (Jeong could probably do that for you). The price is $400, quite a good deal especially compared to the Marathon. This is my every day watch. For me I like this watch, for your situation, the Marathon might be an easier sell.

E mail Jeong with questions.
    watchcat@empas.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

Have you looked at the Seiko MM300? (Model SBDX001, I think.) This is a pro diver of very high quality. With your connection to Seiko and discount it should fall in your price range. Comes with both one of the best ss bracelets going and a rubber strap. A large and heavy watch, but a pure classic diver.

Mark

12. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

The answer sort of depends on what you'll be doing. I've got a Timex Expedition with a vibrating alarm function that I use whenever I go camping or think I'll need to time something (a meeting or a presentation, for example). Great watch with a push button back lighting function. I used to wear a Luminox --- also a great watch, but no vibrating alarm available.

For more formal occasions I've got an old 1930's Elgin that was my Dad's ... had it cleaned up and got a new leather strap. I'ts very cool; one of the early tank styles. That might be an option if you want a dress watch: have your Dad find one of the old classic watches and fix it up.

13. Sigsense

Sigsense Loaded Pockets

There's basically two schools of use, one where the watch will be exposed to dirt, abuse, water. The other is the office environment. I use a Casio G Shock for the dirt/water use, and an Omega for the office. Some people use their nice watches in the dirt/water, but later regret it the first time it suffers scratches.

14. Spencer Lee

Spencer Lee Loaded Pockets

AS you mentioned them, i'd say a Rolex Submariner, IWC Aquatimer or Ingenieur or Omega Seamaster Professional or Planet Ocean. Whether your dad can get these for his budget, i'm not sure but, particularly with the Rolex and IWC, you should'nt lose much if you had to sell.

If your looking for alternatives, may i suggest Ball Watch Co :http://www.ballwatch.com/index.php?option=com_main&lang=en_US

This company have a great link with the US and i have it on good authority that they are exceptional watches for the price.

You could look at Fortis watches: http://www.fortis-watches.com/front_content.php

I can speak from personal experience that they are very well built and tremendous value. Something a little different.

Glycine are a tremendous brand with lots of history and some great looking pieces: http://www.glycine-watch.ch/e/index.e.jsp

Longines, Stowa and Marathon would all be reccommended by me as well as Seiko. I'd love to hear what you decide!

15. chubster

chubster Empty Pockets

Seiko Marine master for understated rolex build quality, or a sub non-date(without date magnifier) for resale value and less blingy rolex!

16. chongyixiong

chongyixiong Empty Pockets

There's the Seiko Tuxedo Diver (SRP043) that really looks rugged as a dress watch, or very professional looking as a Diver's Watch.

Or you could get one of the Seiko Monster series, I personally prefer the Seiko Frankenmonster over the Monster though.
    The Seiko Tuna (Prospex line) have some really good diver's heft to it as well.

If not, I could recommend you go for the Citizen Eco-Zilla if you dig the look but you need to get some aftermarket adapters to use with aftermarket straps I believe.

Resale value typically depends on the person whom you're selling to, if your old and beaten up Timex watch was a memento from his long-lost grandfather before he became a billionaire, he might pay you $5000 for it, I'm just saying.

17. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the info guys. I forwarded this link to my dad, and he said he'd read through what you all have to say. I'm graduating pretty soon, so I'll let you know what I get. He did say that if I can save up some, (since him and I are both concerned with the watch being lost or more likely, stolen), then I can get myself a budget line Seiko or Citizen, (with his discount), and he'll get me the nicer watch as a gift. So as of right now, that's what I'm looking for.

18. Gazoo

Gazoo Loaded Pockets

19. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

20. farang

farang Empty Pockets

"he reccomended ROLEX..." ...alright I've recovered now..if he is recommending ROLEX..YES..YES..YES say "YES thank you dad a ROLEX would suit me fine... I'd donate my kidney for a ROLEX ( we have 2 kidneys..right??)
    Take the ROLEX and later on you can always sell it and buy a small island in South/East Asia....