1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kifaru XRay vs Antero

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TacticoolMike, Mar 26, 2016.

1. TacticoolMike

TacticoolMike Loaded Pockets

Hey all, looking for opinions on comfort between the two. Uses will be EDC, hiking and light overnights. For those who have both or have used both, was one more comfortable than the other? I have an Antero but it's still in the return period. I really like the pack layout for EDC but I have been eyeing the XRay as well. Thoughts?

2. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

I've owned both and ended up selling both. The Antero was promising but some glaring faults IMHO. The X-Ray I have a well-documented love and hate relationship with.

Of the two, the X-ray was the much more comfortable and flexible pack due to the Omni frame design. The Antero relies entirely on shoulders to carry weight, which is sub-optimal.

3. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I've always thought the Antero was Omni belt compatible. I'll check again.

4. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

Not the Omni belt, but the EDC belt.

5. TacticoolMike

Thank you for the reply, Akilae. Caleb, your correct, the Antero will accept the EDC belt.

6. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I use a Zippy for travel, and while I appreciate all my packs with suspension systems and cush waste belts, I've hardly ever wanted a waste strap for strolling through airports, etc. I ended up choosing the Zippy over the Antero just because as a top loader, I knew it would be more stuffable for those times when I needed to overstuff. Once the Omni frame goes in, I lose room. I think I also ultimately went with the Zippy because of the classic Kifaru look. If I had to choose between the Antero or X Ray, I would go with the X Ray.

7. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

The Antero carries much more comfortably than the XRAY. You have to drop the Xray all the way down to get weight of your shoulders but then it kinda just hangs back and weighs on your shoulders regardless. The Antero wears differently from any other Kifaru bag.
    I love the Antero as an EDC and have used it very successfully as a day pack for hiking. But really a light weight pack would be better than both of the Kifaru bags for that.

8. John Ostrovsky

John Ostrovsky Loaded Pockets

None are really adequate for EDC. What EDC pack doesn't have at least a laptop compartment?

9. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

None of my EDC packs have ever had a dedicated laptop sleeve and that's fine with me since I never carry a laptop.

Mike

10. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

The Antero does nicely with a suspended notebook computer holder such as from Mystery Ranch or Tom Bihn (the Mystery Ranch one is less overkill and a better fit). And I'd think of the Antero as a day pack for those who like bottles rather than bladders -- it does bottles very well, especially big insulated bottles so your drinks stay cold or hot.

And what I find happens with EDC bags is that someone gets it just to hold a notebook or just for light office use, and then ends up using it to carry more. These bags are either going to be big and bulky, or they aren't going to carry heavier weight effectively. The Antero is not bad for the room it has in it -- two big Thermaflasks and room for a jacket, miscellaneous stuff, even a notebook or iPad inside. When you festoon it with pockets to accommodate more, it doesn't do as well.

The X-ray carries more, but for most people it's overkill for everyday use, and you tend to fill it until it's heavy, bulky, and uncomfortable.

You might look at the Eberlestock Cherry Bomb. That bag has really good suspensions, since it's designed ostensibly to carry a folding carbine plus extra magazines, etc. -- in other words, quite a bit of load. However, it's also very compact. It does a good job with a notebook or iPad plus water plus all the usual daily stuff, but doesn't let you get too overloaded. It's been reviewed a couple times on this website.

11. TacticoolMike

Thank you all for your replies. I primarily shoulder carry my packs unless I'm going on a longer hike / overnight. Do you think one pack would be more comfortable than the other for just shoulder carry? I have adjusted the Antero at all lengths of the shoulder straps and it definitely starts pulling on my shoulders and becomes uncomfortable around 15+ pounds. Is that a normal weight that it would start straining the shoulders or am I just weak, lol? The weight I put in the pack are 2-3 large, heavy textbooks so the weight in it isn't necessarily distributed well throughout the pack. I feel like I have to place the pack up as high as I can on my back and tighten the straps down very snug to make it more comfortable (15+lbs). Also, it looks like the X-ray should be much more compressible compared to the Antero since it has 2 compression straps. Also, I was thinking the X-Ray may be more comfortable for shoulder carry because it has two stays vs just a frame sheet for the Antero (I may be wrong?). I have tried MR, HPG, Kifaru and I typically start to get the shoulder pulling/pinching around 15+ pounds. Maybe that's normal or I have weird shoulders or something.

12. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Although it certainly can be done.....anything over 15 lbs. that I have to carry for any length of time I use a hip belt. No reason to be uncomfortable if you don't have to be. :)

Mike

13. CANNIBALdinner.

CANNIBALdinner. Loaded Pockets

In my opinion, the X-Ray is much nicer. The Antero is rather odd and kind of ugly looking in person. Just my take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. TacticoolMike

I put the same load I was carrying in the Antero into a $20 Bass Pro back pack and it shoulder carried much much better than the Antero. That just hurts......

Caleb likes this.
  15. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

I use the X-ray for a daysack and love it. Pockets and pods can be added if needed, I use a medium pod to carry extra insulation in the winter. I'm 5'7" and if sits lovely on my back, all the weight on the hips and a clear back to minimise sweating. Internal organisation is easy with the pockets and as quickly taken out if not required.

16. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

17. TacticoolMike

Caleb, I know right? I guess my shoulders just don't want to cooperate with the Kifaru Straps.

18. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I like the X-ray straps fine. Mine are on a Zippy. How do you feel about the attachment point of the straps....where they sew into the pack? Doesn't seem like much stitching or reinforcement on suck a major stress point. I wonder if this has ever failed for someone, you know, like after 5 or 6 years.

19. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Don't worry about the straps pulling loose I have a few Omni packs with years of use and have had no problems with any of them.

Mike

20. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

The top of the shoulder straps in an X-Ray carry on down to form the channels for the stays, if I'm not mistaken. I carried an X-ray everywhere with me for 3 years plus, and there's no loose/worn anything, anywhere on it. Durability isn't a concern... I may video my 280lbs self hanging from it to demonstrate!

There are only two things that irk me with my X-Ray, and both relate to the straps. One is that the top buckle of the shoulder strap never seems to stay where I put it -- it creeps down as I'm wearing it. The other is that the left strap always seems to 'roll over' when I don the pack. In the last year, I've been seriously training and eating for strongman/powerlifting competition, and as I get bigger (and admittedly less flexible) it becomes more of a nuisance.