1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kifaru Urban Zippy

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Karl Meade, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Karl Meade

Karl Meade Empty Pockets

First-time poster, long-time lurker. Want to ask your opinion about the Urban Zippy. Kifaru's forums seem low traffic so I didn't ask this there.

I've placed a few different orders with Kifaru in recent weeks, X-Rays and E & E. Motivation was A) I sold my Marauder only to discover they're no longer made, B) I'm concerned that the PALS grid-type tactical packs will disappear, and C) I've been told 1000d will disappear.

I'm considering the OD green UZ because it's the only one in 1000d, and I had good experiences in the service hauling large loads of rifle ammo in my Marauder. I was thinking the UZ might do well as an ammo hauler in my vehicle, and/or an EDC.

But the membership seems quite divided with many voices being, well... not so keen on UZ. And it costs quite a bit for what essentially looks to me like a scaled-down duffel.

Anyway, looking forward to your assorted perspectives - please let me know what you think, when convenient...

2. crossada

crossada Empty Pockets

First time poster myself.

The UZ is only 500d btw. My opinion is avoid it. It is way overpriced for what it is.

I would find a older 1800 c.i. Xray over the 2000 first if you can. Best edc bag ever imo being able to expand with pockets and compress to a medium size edc. Very versatile like the Marauder. The new 2000 c.i. is too large I think.

If not that get a Antero. Decent bag overall

Karl Meade likes this.
  3. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Haley Strategic Flatpack or Flatpack Plus?

Karl Meade and ArkansasFan30 like this.
  4. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Prior to getting my UZ I tested quote a few bags. Three from goruck, a triple aught design EDC, two vertx bags and six or seven other misc bags. The UZ ended my search. I really like mine. Many of my prior bags were 1000D, but the 500D on my UZ seems plenty beefy. Highly recommended.

Karl Meade likes this.
  5. Karl Meade

Karl Meade Empty Pockets

UZ in OD green is available in 1000d, and I'm leaning that way.

I'm looking at other packs and other manufacturers too but so far, seems like UZ fits mission specifics, best. Better than Antero, even...

6. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

I have multiple Kifaru packs. The UZ is an excellent little bag for EDC with imo the best internal organisation. Couple it with an organiser and it's a great pack. I only swapped mine to lay my hands on a Marauder. The UZ definitely needs the frame sheet though. The X-RAY is a little big for EDC imo but more than capable. The Antero is great and my current EDC. I have a large belt pouch on the outside, slightly annoying that the CB of the 1000D bag doesn't match the CB of the 500D belt pouch. For internal organisation I fitted some common loops and a couple of L&L pouches. The zip arrangements on the Antero give great access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl Meade likes this.
  7. Karl Meade

Karl Meade Empty Pockets

Excellent advice, may I ask what color(s) you bought? I bought an OD green UZ primarily because the color is being phased out, plus it's 1000d (also being phased out).

Bought before I read your reply. Next order will include an Omni frame, definitely, I'll let you know how it goes... thanks much.

Last edited by Karl Meade, Jul 16, 2017
    #7 Karl Meade, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

I've had them all. UZ if definitely one of the top-5, but I ended up letting it go because I'm not really a top-loader and 1000D. I love the simplicity of the look and function, definitely needed the frame sheet.

Karl Meade likes this.
  9. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

This has been addressed in many other threads, but 1000d Cordura was a solution from perhaps 25 years ago. Fabric technologies have improved a lot and there are stronger, lighter fabrics available. Further, 1000d is only a measure of thread size, not of how tightly it's woven, how well the fabric is calendared (coated) or whether the thread is loosely spun or tight. These differences can make a 1000d fabric very dirt prone, scuff prone, can make it leak easily, and can cause sewn connections to be less reliable. Technology has moved forward.

As for PALS, there are a number of developments in this area as well. One of the nicest are laser-cut sheets of PALS. With this, you save weight, you don't have endless bar-stitching and the weakening of the fabric caused by it, and the PALS structure is stronger. Some laser-cut sheets are very well made, some aren't, and you usually get what you paid for. The state-of-the-art military packs are shifting to laser-cut. Check out Hill People as an example of what you can do here in a high quality pack.

The issue for me with an UZ was that it was still designed like a tactical pack -- fairly open interior with limited pockets or storage options. That can be just fine for EDC, but some people looking for EDC packs want 278 pockets in a 20 liter pack. You have to decide whether that's you or not. You can always use organizer pockets or an administrator panel to add such storage, but it all depends on how you want to roll. A military pack typically doesn't have a waist belt (at least not until they get really huge), because you don't want a belt in the way if you are diving behind a berm and ditching your pack. And military packs are designed around body armor, which allows one to support more on the shoulders and doesn't accommodate waist belts as easily. That works fine for small EDC packs. If you go bigger, a belt is a nice option. Most smaller packs like the UZ or Antero are really only comfortable for up to, say, 15 lbs. Any heavier and you need more internal structure, more of a shoulder strap system, and potentially a belt. Lots of EDC users end up carrying more than their packs are really comfortable with. Again, it's all about your personal needs, not about what other people use.

Karl Meade and RED-FIVE like this.
  10. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

The flatpack is a nice little pack. The straps would not be well received with a heavy load. I'd bet comfort would be capped at eight pounds or so.

Karl Meade, RED-FIVE and ballistic like this.
  11. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Good point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Karl Meade likes this.
  12. Karl Meade

Karl Meade Empty Pockets

Tour de force, a very thought-provoking post. Did not know about laser-cut PALS, I will investigate.

Thanks for taking the time to write all of this down, it's much appreciated.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  13. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

I keep my admin pouch (kifaru 500d) clipped inside the bag, hanging from the clips at the top, so it basically acts as a "flap" under the lid.

This leaves the font area of the pack free so I can stuff things under the shock cord, but it means I could also mount either another admin or other pouch to the front. So I have that, the top lid upper pocket, top lid underneath mesh pocket, left and right inside mesh pockets, the two water bottle pockets, the hydration sleeve, and the main compartment. That is a metric ton of pockets for my use case. Given you could actually run two organizers that way, Imo admin options are really not an issue.

Karl Meade likes this.