1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kifaru Urban Zippy

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ParTimeBourne, Jun 2, 2014.

1. ParTimeBourne

ParTimeBourne Loaded Pockets

Just ordered one and selling my Goruck. I'm in Australia so maybe a bit of a wait. Anyone have one yet? Pics? Thoughts?

Moco and bigfoot like this.
  2. geoffchan

geoffchan Loaded Pockets

I have the tactical zippy, waiting to pull the trigger and order one. Be interesting to compare how it looks ;)

3. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

Mine will be here on Wednesday, the gods and Parcelforce willing. I'll post some pics and first impressions then. :)

ParTimeBourne and bigfoot like this.
  4. ParTimeBourne

What colour did you get? Any accessories? How long did you have to wait?

5. yellowhammer

I went with foliage, the only accessories I added was a small pod with k-connectors to match the colour - I have more Kif. bits than you can shake a stick at already... Ordered on the 25th of April, it was despatched on the 23rd of May which was sooner than I expected. I think they are making them in batches, by colour, so wait times may vary depending on what is in the pipeline next.

6. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

What influenced you to make the change?

7. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

^^ This. ^^

Also wondering what prompted the change. Interested to see any add'l photos of the Urban Zippy in the wild, too. :)

8. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

Ask and you shall receive. Here is my foliage Urban Zippy in the bright (108 degree) Arizona sunshine.

I have a matching foliage organizer on the front:
    [​IMG]

Backside view with straps:
    [​IMG]

Top view with top open:

[​IMG]

Deeper inside top view:
    [​IMG]

Side pockets unzipped and open:
    [​IMG]

The whole bag, being constructed of 500D is a bit floppy but I like it.

9. Grinch

Grinch Banned

I am liking this bag the fold out side pockets that unzip are great . What is the general price range on these bags.

10. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

$300.00 for a sack with 2 straps. :D (waist strap is extra)

Had the tactical model, or zippy regular. Sold it about a month later, much to floppy for me. I made a frame sheet and bottom pad to give the bag some structure. Too much of a hassle for me. Went back to my Camelbak Hawg.

11. ParTimeBourne

Looks great, very excited about getting mine. The Goruck didn't have enough organisation for me, which at first was a blessing but over time became a hassle. I am wondering which 'Lock and Load' pockets to hang from the back, which one do you have there? Any advise which ones would be a good fit? I am new to Kifaru and my order is at a stage where I can change it.

12. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at any of the Urban Zippy tips videos either on the Kifaru forums or on YouTube? Mel demonstrates several attachment options that you might find helpful.

ParTimeBourne likes this.
  13. escuelavieja

escuelavieja Loaded Pockets

I like a lot of the design features, but I imagine that since it lacks a framesheet and stay(s) that it sags if not fully (and properly) loaded. Is that what you mean when you say that it is “floppy,” gatorfan?

14. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the pics, sweet looking setup! I have to agree, I'm a little surprised that Kifaru doesn't offer some sort of frame sheet for the Zippy. Especially for the intended use as an urban EDC bag, potentially carrying a laptop or tablet, bulky odd-shaped items, etc. I do like that you can fit canteens in the inner pockets, and water bottles in the outer pockets. Wish more tacticool bags would have water bottle pockets!

ParTimeBourne and escuelavieja like this.
  15. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

Yes that is exactly what I mean. There are posts (with photos) over at Kifaru forums where other owners fabricated their own frame sheets for use inside the inner "bladder" pocket.

16. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

I know I sound like a "hater".

I really, really like the size and design of the zippy. But unless this thing is packed full, as shown in the videos. There is zero structure!
    This pack will flop, fold over, collapse won't stand on its own. Whatever you want to call it again zero structure. Hence my comment about the sack with straps, it is.

I just want people to hear the "other side" from Kifaru owners that are not always thrilled with their purchases.

17. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

No worries, I've heard complaints from fellow UZ owners. Some have even sold theirs. Can't please all folks.

18. yellowhammer

Ok, bag has arrived but for some reason Flickr won't allow me to share the pics. I'll work on it. Bring back the old Flickr, the one that used to work, I say...

Anyhoo - first impressions are positive. Yes, it's floppy but so what? Personally I've never really needed my bag to stand upright on it's own. I've a lot of time for ppfd's opinions but this really isn't a worry for me. Having said that I would prefer it in 1000D but that's only because I prefer 1000D generally. The 500D is appropriate for a bag of this type.

I bought the UZ as a midpoint between my E&E and Xray and it fits in here perfectly. I was essentially after a lighter, lower profile Xray with bottle pockets and that's what I got. I didn't bother with an organiser to keep the thickness down, using a SOB pocket organiser instead. I like the pocket layout, especially the big top pocket which I don't have on my G1 Xray. It's comfy, didn't give me a sweaty back and lets me sort my EDC how I like it. It also sits flatter and is less obtrusive than my Xray.

I've changed out the zipper pulls, swapped the compression straps for some OD ones I had laying about and added a padded chamber pocket. No photo (hah!) but the TAD Gear PALS panel is a perfect fit inside. All in all, I'm happy. It's not a pretty bag and has a very Kifaru look to it, and will take some work to replace my E&E as my favourite bag, but I'm pleased so far. I'm going to be using it extensively over the next ten days or so and will report back on how it's going. I'll also keep working on those bloody pics.

cowsmilk likes this.
  19. yellowhammer

Try this -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One-litre Klean Kanteen in outer and inner pockets;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bigfoot and ParTimeBourne like this.
  20. yellowhammer

Success! Sorry for the crappy photos.

You can see in the third photo how much lower a profile the UZ has compared to the Xray with organiser. All three bags in the photos are lightly stuffed with cushions and so are a bit bulgy - assuming bulgy is a word. I need to police the straps a bit and I'll probably lose the bungee from the back of the bag.

ParTimeBourne likes this.