1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kifaru to replace my Rush 12

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by hal_chase, Jun 17, 2014.

1. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tempted to try a Kifaru to replace my Rush 12 but which one?

The Rush 12 is more or less the right size (fractionally too big for my daily use) so which Kifaru, a Scout or a Zippy?

I'm not going to be attaching anything much to it (never seen the point of buying a small bag then hanging loads of pouches off it...may as well get a bigger bag to start with). I kinda like the fixed admin pouch the Rush 12 has, guessing the Kifaru won't have this looking on their site.

Comments from Kifaru converts I guess :)

2. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

The Scout is a great pack, but if it's for EDC, such a low-riding pack might not be ideal. I loved my XRay with Kifaru organizer, but what specifically do you not like about the Rush? Are you just looking for something new?

3. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I don't have either but if i could chose i would get the scout,I just like it better :rolleyes_revamped:
    Thats actually the next bag i'll purchase.
    They sell a organizer pouch in 500d,it seems like a nice organizer and mounts on the scout pretty well.Theres a video on youtube where it shows a scout with an organizer,just search kifaru scout and its the top one.

4. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I don't hate the Rush..probably just fancy a change as I'm a bit of a bag :censored: :redface:

I've gone through a bunch of Maxpeditions (Monsoon, Fatboy, Jumbo, Messenger) and settled on a Colossus for occasional shoulder carry and a Sitka when I want something that rapidly switches from back to front, but I always go back to 5.11 for my work bag (flask, packed lunch, handful of tools, cables, portable hard disks, keys). I also have a Rush 24 but he is too big for my daily requirements so doesn't get used much.

It's also maybe time to move to 'the next level' and see if Kifaru is all its cracked up to be (if it is I might end up with an X-Ray to replace the Rush 24 too...)

5. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Kifaru is a sexy, sexy bag company. I had a Navigator and I sold it because, quite frankly, it was too nice for me to scuff up voluntarily.

Looking at the numbers: the Rush 12 is 1,330 ci.

Kifaru: the Zippy is 1,500 ci. The Scout is 1,300 ci.

Another potential contender is the Mystery Ranch ASAP at 1,120 ci.

6. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thanks for the info...not too bothered about scuffing it up, I should post up some pix of my Sitka...folks here would be horrified of how it gets treated !!

I'm liking the access on Mystery Ranch, that's quite neat. I'm also aware that if I switch to Kifaru I lose the clamshell of 5.11 as Kifaru all seem to be top loaders. Still fancying a change though, just need to make sure the size is ok.

Does anybody have side by side pix of Zippy vs. Rush 12 (preferably on someone) ?

7. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mostly I was endorsing the quality. :D

8. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

also....can a Zippy owner tell me how tall the main compartment is please? (They don't seem to do the whole dimension thing like Maxped do)

9. tems908

tems908 Loaded Pockets

Loom at the zippy, I started using it as my edc and have not looked back. It has decent internal organization and top and side load options.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

10. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

My XRay and Zulu were badly abused but look brand new. Quality is simply second to none. That being said, I like my Mystery Ranch even more as an EDC bag.
    The dual access to the XRay was very convenient. The Zippy looks like it has the same top-access, which is a plus. Kifaru's belt system is also great, but I never really NEEDED the belt on the XRay so I generally left it off.
    Kifaru bags are heavy, and I don't love the lack of an external bottle holder. Also, if you're not mounting something to the bag, why deal with the extra cost/weight of a bag covered in molle? Just a thought.
    Kifaru shoulder straps are the best in the business. I would LOOOOOVE a MR Sweet Pea with Kifaru straps, but such is life.

hal_chase likes this.
  11. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I've been thinking long and hard about this for a week and am going to go for an E&E with X-Ray strap upgrade and maybe an Organizer pocket.

I KNOW I carry too much stuff in my current EDC (Rush 12) so this is perfect opportunity to slim things down a bit. Just got to get Kifaru to fix their order form (their UK shipping options are weird) and I'll pull the trigger on one :D

12. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

Good choice. If you can find a pair of skinny mini pockets as well, that would be a good set up (that is, the same as mine ;)).

If you are local to north Kent/Medway I can show you an E&E, Xray and Urban Zippy if it'll help.

hal_chase likes this.
  13. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I don't really want to add loads of pockets, I've never really 'got' the whole pocket thing if I'm honest, I'd rather buy a big enough bag to start with (or have other bigger/smaller bags for different load outs). I do need the organiser pocket though as it's my work bag so there's pens, keys, flash drives etc.

I would really love to see some Kif in the flesh but sadly I'm based around East Anglia/East Midlands.

By the way did you have any trouble ordering from the UK? I've been trying for a couple of days but their weird web form upsets my credit card validation. Mine (and yours too I'm sure) expects to see Town, Postcode, United Kingdom and they have 'England' instead so when the card validation goes through it fails :mad:

14. yellowhammer

I didn't have any trouble the last couple of times - I just left out the county as there wasn't a form for it, my address just ran 'street - town - England' and it was ok. The first time I struggled a bit until we realised it was an anti-theft procedure at the bank end. I spoke to the bank and it was fine after that.

If you don't want external pockets at least order a Lock & Load #10 for the inside, maybe two. In fact, get three and I'll take any spares you have off of your hands. :D

hal_chase likes this.
  15. yellowhammer

Just to show you - here is a load-out from a while back. The small pod is for overflow only and goes in one skinny-mini. The water bottle goes in the other. Everything else fits inside;

[​IMG]
    What's in my bag? by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

And here it is on top of Monte Baldo, midget girlfriend for scale;

[​IMG]
    Monte Baldo by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

It's my favourite bag (although the Xray runs it very close). You won't regret it.

Rainy likes this.
  16. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

how big is a zippy..here is a side by side with a goruck sd15...the goruck is 10.5" W x 16" H x 4" D..

i love my zippy...

[​IMG]kifaru 011 by ibescottfree, on Flickr

[​IMG]kifaru 009 by ibescottfree, on Flickr

hal_chase likes this.
  17. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I got tired of waiting for Kifaru to respond to me (first experience of Kifaru Customer Service? = they suck) and paid by PayPal, this means I have to mess around shifting money between accounts but needs must...

On your advice I sprang for x 2 Lock & Load #10's, if they annoy me I'll sell them to you ;)

18. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I don't know how you contacted them but i got great service calling them.if they don't answer just wait a few minutes and call back.

19. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Email..several times, got a 'nobody else has trouble' reply, then when I chased this nothing. I'm in the UK and don't want to bother with transatlantic calls just to buy something.

20. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

Have you given any thought to the Urban Zippy?