1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kifaru E&E vs S.O. Tech 3 Day Assualt

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by spectre007, Aug 10, 2016.

1. spectre007

spectre007 Loaded Pockets

Hello everyone,

First of all thank you for your great feedback on my previous posts. I really have learned alot on this forum. I just currently bought a Camelbak HAWG military model with 1000d (older model i think.) Now im looking into a bag like the Kifaru E&E and S.O. Tech 3 day Assault. They are pretty close is size. I was wondering if there are any other bags that are similar to these. Im looking for a bag with one single compartment, 16-18L size max. Clamshell opening is a must. This will be my most used bag, so durability will be top priority.

The Kifaru with upgraded straps is about the same price as the S.O. Tech. Is either one better than the other? I know they are both 1000d and made in USA. One advantage that the SO tech has the kifaru for me is the mesh back.

Any other suggestions would be great.

thank you

Last edited by spectre007, Aug 10, 2016
  2. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

If my maths is correct, the SOTECH capacity is around 23 litres, whereas the E&E is slightly over 16 litres?

As you say, they both look the same, although I think their respective purposes are different - E&E tends to be a 24-hr size pack whilst the 3DAP is, clearly, intended for longer excursions.

I have previously owned the E&E and what I liked about it was it's ability to be mounted to other packs without having to buy separate connector straps; no reasons why you couldn't mount the SOTECH on a larger bag, but you would need to buy something like the 5.11 TIER system for it to work.

Thought about any of the GoRuck line?

col132 likes this.
  3. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

I second GORUCK. I have the E&E and I wouldn't upgrade the straps. The E&E has no support in it. It is basically a pouch with seatbelt type straps and that keeps it great for light use. I also have the 21L Goruck GR1 and if you intend to upgrade the straps on the E&E and probably get some pockets for it since the E&E has no organization whatsoever, you might as well go for something in the $200 range that already has that. I gravitate towards the GR1 but the E&E is good when all I need to carry is a small FAK, a Kindle e-reader and a water bottle. Otherwise, the GR1 is the first choice.

4. spectre007

These are the specs for the S.O Tech

• Overall Dimensions: 17" x 14" x 6"
    • Rear compartment: 13” x 11”
    • Main compartment: 11” x 5.5” x 16” = 968 cu in = 15.8627 liter

I dont know if i did the calculation right, but puts in in E&E size territory.

Can anyone confirm this.

5. Roguetrooper

I've just checked again using the overall dimensions of 17x14x6 and I'm fairly certain that this comes to 23 (and change) litres.

This is the site I used to check: http://www.ookingdom.com/metric/dim-to-capacity

6. spectre007

I was just calculating the Main compartment dimensions, afterall this is where all my packing would be.

Your calculations are for the overall dimensions of the bag. i think

7. Roguetrooper

Well, yes, they are - Because the main compartment is not the only 'Storage Space' in the pack and therefore would not be a reflection of the overall capacity of the pack - it still means you've got another (give or take, depending on the internal layout) 8 litres of capacity which, presumably, is achieved from the Internal Mesh Pocket; External Zippered Pocket and Hydration Sleeve?

8. spectre007

great point. didnt think of if that way. im leaning more towards the SO tech, due to mesh back, and slightly larger pack. im 6ft tall and i think the E&E would look kinda funny.

Roguetrooper likes this.
  9. Roguetrooper

Agreed - The E&E is......compressed (for want of a better choice of word) I'm 5'9" and it looked a little stubby on my back.

10. ncfh

ncfh Loaded Pockets

As another E&E owner, it is not something I would ever consider for, "This will be my most used bag" duty.

It is literally a sad sack with straps. An addition to another, larger system. Not a stand alone pack at all.