1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kifaru Antero vs. Goruck GR1 Debate

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by beastie, Jun 24, 2015.

1. beastie

beastie Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,
    Can't decide between the 2! Which is the ultimate EDC bag? Add your thoughts, feedback, help or advice. Let the debate begin!

2. Darrel S. Jarvis

Darrel S. Jarvis Loaded Pockets

I can only say my Kifaru Urban Zippy is my "one bag" for anything other than an extended trip. The build quality on the product is as good or better than anything I've had my hands on (TAD, Mystery Ranch, Hill People Gear, 5.11, Maxpedition, etc.). If you like the features of the Antero, I would say buy with confidence. FWIW, I've never handled a Goruck pack, so I can't directly compare the two. When I was shopping for an EDC bag, I made a spreadsheet with all the features I cared about and scored them to find a "winner." It worked really well for me and made the decision "easy." Good luck on your bag quest my friend. :)

3. d.weglarz13

d.weglarz13 Loaded Pockets

Good luck, I still can't decide between these and a couple others lol.

4. brewmeister

brewmeister Guest

I say the Kifaru. It's a unique and different design. You get a lot more features than what a GR1 has. Honestly, if it wasn't for GoRuck's slick marketing campaign, their bags really aren't THAT much unique and special from other 3DAP style bags for the price they're asking for. And yes, I owned one briefly.

Jaysop likes this.
  5. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I don't own either but here's how i see them.
    the antero only has enough molle to mount a kifaru organizer,not side molle so your stuck with the side pockets.
    The goruck has Like 2 interior zippered pockets,molle inside which is great for organizing,a padded ( i think) laptop compartment.Only 2 rows of molle wide one the sides,so that kinda limits pockets but still moe versatle than the antero.
    The goruck does not seem to have adjustable straps so if your really tall the may not fit.
    Kifarus straps are adjustable so not really a probblem with them.

If i was in your situation i'd get a ... xray lol.Much more molle options!
    Well i hope that a at least a little helpfull,probably not though ;)

MikeM likes this.
  6. beastie

beastie Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the feedback guys! I think I am going to also consider the Kifaru Urban Zippy with frame sheet as well and Xray. Anything else to add/comment please do.

7. The Toecutter

The Toecutter Loaded Pockets

MR ASAP might be worth looking at for consideration. I have an MR 3DAP and it is awesome. Kifaru and MR and TAD would get my vote.

8. Mr Doode

Mr Doode Loaded Pockets

I've never handled the Antero but I'd get the GR1. I really dislike the strap adjustment system on Kifaru packs.

9. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

I have the urban zippy and just added the frame sheet, it's perfect for my needs, not too big but plenty of room for EDC, the construction is perfect all around and has tons of organizational options with tons of pockets.

10. Tripp

Tripp Empty Pockets

I'm new around here, and one of the reasons that I signed up for the forum was to help make this exact same decision. I was torn between the GR1 and the Antero.
    In my eyes, they both would have been excellent packs for what my needs are. I need a pack that I can carry into the office 5 days a week, and carry on a trail for some light hiking on the weekends. The obvious advantages of the Antero were the belt and the water bottle pockets, and I almost pulled the trigger on purchasing one. However, after I learned about Goruck's discount for veterans, I looked more closely at the GR1. With the discount, the GR1 was about $80 less than the Antero without the belt. I had to be realistic and decided that the few extra features on the Antero was not worth the extra money, and my GR1 is on its way to my house.
    From the reviews that I've read, both packs are excellent packs. They are both in the same consumer space, but each fills a slightly different niche.

11. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

Kifaru gives discounts to vets,you just have to contact them.

12. beastie

beastie Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the responses. Still haven't decided yet. Keep going back and fourth. Seems that some of the people I have talked to about the Antero are giving it mixed reviews.

13. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

I like Kifaru's packs in general, but the Antero is a rare exception. It misses all of the marks for me. The GR1 on the other hand has been the best 2-4 day travel pack that I've used if I have to take a computer/papers with me. The organization is simple and functional, and the pack carries very well. The Zippy that I had was much less friendly to carrying a computer, and did not carry as well.

I really don't think that Kifaru "gets" travel. They sure as hell understand hauling heavy loads, usability in the woods and excellent construction, but managing technology and day-to-day convenience just doesn't seem to be their strong suit.

MikeM likes this.
  14. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Kifaru is more versatile, goruck is more durable, meaning it probably can withstand more abuse than the kifaru .

I hang kifaru pullouts inside my gorucks on the inner molle.

15. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

I seriuosly doubt a 1000D Kifaru pack is less durable than a 1000D GR pack......I'd like to see that study. Most likely it's a push.

Mike

16. beastie

beastie Loaded Pockets

Onebandwagon makes a really great point! The more I research it and think about it, it really does seem that Goruck understands and gets the EDC/Travel/Multi use bag design. Kifaru most definelty owns the outdoor use space but seems that they just can't get it 100% right for EDC/Travel vs Goruck. I REALLY wanted Kifaru to make something amazing in this space to beat Goruck but I just don't think they have yet!

17. vzipper

vzipper Loaded Pockets

I find my GR0 is very versatile. I think the open design and interior molle lends itself to being highly adaptable to the user's needs. The one thing the Antero has going for it is a nicer suspension design and hip belt, though I've always found Goruck packs to be comfortable. The Antero is also offered in more color choices.

I too use a Kifaru pouch on the inner molle, the belt pouch, and have been really pleased with the results. The GR packs are simple desgns, but they really work.

18. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

I own a GR1 and love it but when the Antero came out I almost jumped the gun on one immediately. However I did the (almost) edc impossible and resisted and after wracking my brain for a few weeks I finally realized I didn't need one at all. It didn't do anything my GR1 couldn't, it may organize a little bitter depending on the load, but that wasn't what I needed. I've actually began looking for a shoulder bag because I was constantly over packing my GR1 or carrying around a floppy nearly empty bag, the bag is now reserved for travel where it performs excellently. What would really help all of us help you is if we knew what you realistically wanted to carry in the bag.

19. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

The GR1 is the best all rounder kind of pack I've owned in years, maybe ever. Great comb of quality, functionality and simplicity that works in every setting I've carried it in to date. I can hang a camera bag from the inner webbing, carry it max'd out or half empty, on one shoulder, hanging away from my back or snugged up high when I need more stability and I always find it comfortable. Gotta love stuff that works without being over-engineered.

20. mbakes

mbakes Loaded Pockets

I think it's important to know what you plan to carry. I use a GR1 for rucking pretty regularly but it's too large for my edc purposes. I've moved to TAD Litespeed gen.2 for edc, so far with excellent result. I have been on the fence about the Antero for a while now. I would love to check it out at some point. I had an Urban Zippy with Omni frame sheet and while there was good organization, it was too floppy. I prefer a big that can stand on it's own and the Zippy just didn't work for me. I would also like to check out the X-ray at some point as well.