1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keysmart and varieties thereof

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by MinistryOfTruth, May 11, 2016.

1. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

First and foremost i did search and it seems this hasn't merited an actual thread, which sounds silly because c'mon it's a keychain gizmo! Apologies for eventual redundancy, i didn't mean to.

I've developed an allergy to my fat rattling keychain. If im in a shell jacket it's usually muted but in fancy get up (happens more and more these days), i dont feel too sexy with a jingly pocket and it really goes downhill with the yelping and hissing from when keys stab my thigh while sitting or standing up :rofl:

Found a keysmart clone from one of those chinese online discount ultrastores that sell literally everything. Surprise surprise it didn't work very well and not for lack of trying on my part. No retention whatsoever.
    At least it was cheap and can probably be cannibalized into good future use.

Friends, if you have experiences with these key-holder-folders(?), would you please share your pro and con thoughts?

Suggestions on models and makes that do work?
    I have a few round-shank one-sided lever lock keys, som i'm looking for a thing that includes plenty spacers and accomodates keys that are just over 3 inches / 8 cms.

Do these gadgets work if haning from a carabiner or is gravity always an issue no matter how well-made the thing is? I don't care if it's a fancy brand name product or a knockoff, priority 1 through 10 is function.

Pics: post 'em if you got 'em!

PS: priority 11 would be one that's made of copper or brass.

2. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

KeySmart left me supremely disappointed. Been using a KeyBar for sometime now. Really like it. Got it in Carbonfiber and Aluminum.

jpage, Bulldog87 and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  3. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

I'll look that up, thanks! CF sounds VERY promising.

Awesome handle btw.

4. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

I think I should get a commission from Keybar. I tried a bunch of cheap clones and then found Keybar on one of the threads. In the 6 months I've had mine, at least 6 people have played with mine and ordered their own.

Very nice product.

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  5. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

I've got a Chinese keybiner. I had a different cheapo first and it didn't work. With the keybiner I learned a secret: tiny rubber o-rings. Go to hrdware store plumbing section and get tiny ones. Place them in between the keys, bingo. Retention successful. Before giving up on your cheapo, try it, unless you WANT to spend over $50 for a key ring. ;)

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

6. WyOkBuckskin

WyOkBuckskin Loaded Pockets

I have a Key Smart and like it.

7. Muttley

Muttley Empty Pockets

I love the idea but not sure it would work for me. I have 2 key FOBs and one of those fat plastic end car keys. I don't see how I could configure a Keybar to make it advantageous for me to use. Any ideas?

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

You might want to confirm whether or not the plastic end of the car keys is encapsulating an electronic security chip or not. I realize these days the answer usually is yes. But sometimes not. I've seen here on the forum where some cut that plastic end way down so that the 'handle' end of the key is no wider than the teeth; some also go to the effort of grinding down the plastic... but please do make sure about the presence of a security chip first!

Moshe ben David

9. AF86

AF86 Loaded Pockets

I have a keybar and a keysmart. Overall I like the keybar better but I keep going back to the keysmart because it's smaller and lighter.

10. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

I bought a key smart a while back. Used it for about two days and immediately realized it wasn't going to work. I like the idea, but I didn't like the product. (I normally don't write bad reviews, but I wish I'd read some prior to buying. I wasted that money.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

11. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I'm really enjoying my KeySmart. Not sure what problems people have been having with theirs. I hang mine from a P7 clip and barely notice it in my pocket. 100x better than a split-ring clump.

My advice would be to get the largest size unless you only have a couple keys. I have seven keys (plus the keyring makes 8 slots) and the screws are just barely long enough to thread through everything and grip securely. The only thing it requires is the occasional re-tightening of the screws, maybe once a week (if that), which is really, really easy with the big flat screwheads. You can use a dime, a small MT, or even a credit card in a pinch.

12. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

If you've ever heard of the KeyKlip and KeyDisk, from the company also called KeyDisk, they just started a Kickstarter for something called the KeyDisk Mini. I backed it; it's exactly what I want in one of these things by being more minimalist. Compared to a Keysmart, you're getting a shorter but wider tool, and it seems like it would be lighter as well.

Wesmanthetiger and TV09 like this.
  13. Stirling

Stirling Empty Pockets

The keysmart has quite possibly saved my sanity and relationship with my better half I hate extra jangly crap, she hates the jangles of the keys hitting the steering column. Really a win win.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dplafoll likes this.