1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keyport Slide 2.0 Review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by jag-engr, Mar 24, 2014.

1. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Full disclosure
    I received this Keyport for free to do a review and post user feedback. This product is made by Keyport, a Supporting Manufacturer of this forum.

As many of you know, I have something of an obsession with a cleaner, less-bulky keychain. I have watched the Keyport project with interest from the beginning. Originally, it was a bulkier metal device that remained a conceptual product for a long time. In fact, I had almost given up hope when the company finally got off the ground. The first round of Keyport Slides were a work of art, but Keyport wanted to broaden the products that they could offer. I feel that they have achieved that with their new Keyport Slide 2.0, now available on their website.

ORDERING

From Keyport's on-line store (mykeyport.com), I selected from the following options:
    • Keyport Slide bodies - black, white, or clear
    • six "blades" - I chose all keys, but there are also USB sticks, a bottle opener, and an LED
    • interchangable nameplates for the sides, which can be customized
    • accessories - clips, lanyards, etc., for attaching to the swivel on the Keyport
    I had no problem ordering (aside from deciding on colors) and found the process pretty straight-forward.

Once you order, the next step is to photograph your keys so that Keyport can send you the correct blanks. There is much debate here (and elsewhere on the web) as to whether it is safe to photograph keys. It's really a moot point, though. Keyport doesn't need to be able to see the teeth on your key. They only need to be able to see enough of the key to identify the key pattern to know which blank to send you. You can easily put tape over the teeth of the keys before photographing them (that's what I did).

The next day, I got an email that identified the key blanks and requesting that I send in a copy of one of my keys (an unusual security key, I guess) so that they could cut the key down and fit a Keyport head on it. I was a little slow on getting this done and I got a couple email reminders from Keyport. I appreciate the fact that they didn't want to drop the ball on their end. I got the key sent in and got my Keyport not long afterwards.

UNBOXING & ASSEMBLY

The Keyport comes in a nice, attractive presentation box. The key blanks are sent separately, zip-tied together and in a baggy. The custom side plates are also in a separate bag.

I took the key blanks to a local locksmith who cut them for $1 each. I would strongly advise going to a locksmith, not a big box store or even a hardware store. I didn't want a blank getting mis-cut and having to wait for a replacement. Needless to say, a new key-carrying device generated quite a bit of excitement at a locksmith store and I would not be surprised if several of the employees do not soon have Keyports of their own.

The Keyport box includes instructions, but it is pretty intuitive to put together. I assembled it and added a TEC P-7 clip to the swivel.

DAY-TO-DAY USE

At first, the Keyport felt very strange. I initially wanted to slide the button out and hold my thumb against it while operating the blade. However, the blades lock open and are unlocked by depressing the button, so I had to learn to let go of the button and allow the blade to lock in place. It also feels very different opening a lock because the width of the keyport approximately quadruples your leverage as opposed to a typical key bow - meaning you don't feel like you're twisting hard enough.

My first impression of the Keyport when I opened it was that it was bigger than I was envisioning. However, it did seem to work out to be lighter than having the same keys on a ring and the smooth, rigid shape carries better in a pocket than keys do.

DURABILITY

So far, I have seen no signs of any durability issues. Some people have questioned the integrity of the swivel, but I don't see it ever taking that much stress. Besides, it looks like a modified fishing swivel and those can take a lot of weight.

I did have one issue with a security key that I sent in to be machined for the Keyport. This key was thicker than average key and the metal may have been machined just a bit too much or the plastic cap that was fit on may have been defective. At any rate, the blade wobbled side-to-side when extended. It still worked, but I didn't feel confident about it. I sent it back to Keyport along with a new key, and they promptly sent me a newly cut blade and the previous blade, which had been repaired.

CONCLUSION

I had tried a lot of keychain configurations and had settled on one that I had been using for some time. I really wasn't sure if the Keyport was going to supplant that setup, but it definitely has done so. I love the Keyport and would recommend it for those looking to slim up their keychain. I could see this also being beneficial for those who suffer from arthritis, as it provides a mechanical advantage and better grip over normal keys.

2. Torpedo Vegas

Torpedo Vegas Loaded Pockets

Do you think it would be worth it to someone like me who only has 4 keys and a streamlined nano?

3. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Are there any upgrades, for what you could know, about the possibility to have duplicates of EU system keys ? (I'm from Italy).
    Asked time ago to the Company when Keyport bumped in the forums, but have no updates. TIA
    Nick

4. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

Pics would be helpful for this review. I've never heard of a key port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's really your call. You could replace the nano with their light blade and still have room to add a USB flash drive. If the project appeals to you and you have the funds, it's a great piece of gear. If you do buy, make sure to credit EDCF!

Sorry, Nick, I don't know. Maybe a company rep will chime in.

I'm intending to put up pictures soon. I'm just not a very good photographer.

cowsmilk and Nick4305 like this.
  6. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Been using mine for about 6 months now and I love it. I dread the occasions which require a key NOT in the keyport as I then have to grab a second key ring full of traditional keys.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

vegassprky, SAKplumber and keyport like this.
  7. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

If you use the Keyport banner it will take you to their site and they will know it came from the forum.

vegassprky likes this.
  8. keyport
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

keyport Loaded Pockets

Hi Jon, Yes, the Keyport is perfect for you. With just four keys, you can add a couple Inserts like a Bottle Opener, Flash Drive or Mini Light. We are also about to release a Pen Insert that is very handy for your everyday carry needs! :)
    Cheers, Aimee

vegassprky and SAKplumber like this.
  9. keyport
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

keyport Loaded Pockets

Hi Stonerman33,
    Sounds like you may need multiple Keyports, connect them together with a Micro Lock and you have Slide nunchucks. :)
    Cheers,
    Aimee

Kilted1, vegassprky and SAKplumber like this.
  10. keyport
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

keyport Loaded Pockets

Hi Nick,

Yes, we ship orders internationally. You would have to send in a set of your keys, as we stock US and Canadian keys at this time. We can convert your keys right into Blades in just a couple days and send them back to you ready to use in the Slide. We send Keyports all over the world to over 60 countries!

You can check out the international order page here: http://mykeyport.com/international

Cheers,
    Aimee

vegassprky, SAKplumber and Nick4305 like this.
  11. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'll surely do it, and thanks for your reply, Aimee !
    Nick

vegassprky likes this.
  12. keyport
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

keyport Loaded Pockets

Hey Guys,

Check out my personal Green on Black limited run 2.0 Slide in action! :) If you look closely you can see Nic, our Slide builder and custom printer photo bombing me!

Cheers All! Keyportphotobomb.JPG
    Aimee

13. keyport
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

keyport Loaded Pockets

You're very welcome!
    Cheers,
    Aimee

Nick4305 likes this.
  14. keyport
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

keyport Loaded Pockets

Hi Atilano,

Check out some great product images here: http://mykeyport.com/product

Cheers,
    Aimee

vegassprky and Nick4305 like this.
  15. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

As tempting as a keyport nun-chuck may sound, my other keys are either too oddly shaped or rarely used such that a second keyport wouldn't be worth it, to me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

16. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

There are some Keyport banners on the forum. We get no credit if they are not used.

17. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

I'm digging that green on black Slide 2.0! :smile_coffee:

keyport likes this.
  18. keyport
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

keyport Loaded Pockets

Hey Guys,

My bad guys, I did not use the right link for the Keyport Store. :eek:

Please be sure to always use this link when visiting the site. KEYPORT STORE- EDC

Cheers,
    Aimee

19. keyport
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

keyport Loaded Pockets

Hi Jon,

Yes, I am so sorry, this is the link- KEYPORT - EDC

Cheers,
    Aimee

20. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

Dunno if this is a first world problem lol I only have 1 key. Hopefully I have a WiFi door lock soon

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk