1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain tools that look like keys!

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by johnnytest, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

He would say- pass it over to me... we're old!

Moshe ben David and ran23 like this.
  2. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Nice one if I did say- I would buy one! You may have an almost paying hobby! !

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Me too. Or so they tell me. I ignore the guy in the mirror!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. AdrianChang

AdrianChang Loaded Pockets

Nice lighter key. Does it run on butane or liquid? Where can I get one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  5. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I'm in guys ' let me know!

6. FSTP

FSTP Loaded Pockets

It runs on zippo fluid. The entire shaft is filled with a wick and a cotton like filler that the fluid is absorbed into. I'm not sure what its called but the makers name is on it and its Myon-CLE MLE Déposé. The "LE" is underlined for some reason. Its no longer being made as far as I can tell and what little research I've done suggests they were made in the 50-60's. I just happened to find it on ebay while searching "vintage keychain lighter" and it popped up. I was the only bidder.

AdrianChang likes this.
  7. AdrianChang

Nice! Thank you for the info. Does it hold fuel well (does it evaporate fast)?

8. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Let's add some detail to this key lighter discussion by starting with the name "Myon CLE MLE Déposé" ... it's French. "Myon" is a French lighter manufacturer. "CLE" is French for "key". And, MLE (with or without the underlining) is the abbrevation for "model" or, in French "Modèle". Finally, "Déposé" means "registered".

So this is a key lighter, made by Myon, and a registered model (similar to our registered trademark). Myon was most active in the 1950's and 1960's, the era this lighter was made. I have one that I bought around 1964 or so, somewhere around here.

Anyway, AdrianChang, one caution: if you're looking for one of these on the Internet be sure it has the little cap that covers the wick. That is the part that most often goes 'walkabout."

9. AdrianChang

Awesome! Thank you for the detailed information good Sir!

10. Cobra 6 Actual

Glad to help out!

11. FSTP

FSTP Loaded Pockets

AdrianChang, It holds fuel pretty good. So far the longest I've gone without trying to light it is about a week and it lights right up first spark. It seems to hold its fuel pretty good now that I figured it out. When I first got it it was new unused ( it didn't even have a flint installed, it was just a pristine wick) and I didn't know you could unscrew the bottom to fill up the entire tube with fuel. So I was just adding fuel drop by drop from the top of the wick. So obviously it wasn't going to hold that much or last that long. Well one day I was messing with it and I accidentally turned it and I realized the bottom circular piece that attaches to the key chain comes off giving access to the rest of the wick and a cotton like reservoir sponge where you can add a lot more fuel then I was able to by just dripping it into the top of the wick. So that was pretty exciting, as the wick is the entire length of the key and both ends are very tight. I have a feeling the fuel will take quite some time to evaporate if I were to just leave it alone. Another neat thing I realized is since its always on my keychain and its hanging upside down, the wick is always primed with fuel. Yet I've not noticed the slightest bit of leakage. The wick is VERY highly mounted in its feeding tube.

Very nice Cobra 6 actual, thats some great info there. Do you still have yours avail be for pics? Is yours a gold brass color too? Do you know if they ever made a silver or german silver/nickel silver version? Sorry for all the questions.... I would love to get one that is a silver color.

When you said the "the little cap that covers the striker" are you talking about the little end cap that covers the wick like on mine? or is there a separate part that covers the spark striker?

AdrianChang likes this.
  12. Cobra 6 Actual

FSTP -- mine is packed away somewhere (I have several hundred lighters). Anyway, yes, there are chrome versions (that's what I have). There is also a very cool "rustic finish" one that looks like this:

[​IMG]

I've been searching for one of those at a reasonable price for a long time.

And, yep, the little end cap I was referring to that covers the wick -- just like yours -- is on the left end of the above photo. Probably nine out of ten of these lighters that are for sale on the Internet are missing that cap.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Jul 23, 2016
    AdrianChang likes this.
  13. FSTP

FSTP Loaded Pockets

Oh wow! Thanks a lot Cobra, now I'm on a hunt for these.... How much do these usually go for? (also if you ever want to sell your chrome one.... ;)) That rustic one is amazing I need to find one of those. I guess I got lucky with mine, I got it for 29 bux.

14. Cobra 6 Actual

You did really good for the money you paid for your gilt lighter, FSTP: that sounds pretty close to the price I paid for my chrome one approximately 50 years ago (perhaps ~$15 plus inflation!). As for getting a chrome lighter now, they'd be in the range of $50 to $100. The rustic style ones are muy difficult to find and are +$100 and up. Good hunting!

Tony Sal likes this.
  15. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

I got a key bottle opener off DX. It's a knockoff of a MAKR bottle opener and the knockoff-ness is noticeable, it sucks! I wanted to figure out why it sucked so I compared it to pics of the original and to my Swiss Army bottle opener which works wonderfully. The angle on the lip that hooks the bottlecap is wrong. The lip is parallel to the cap and just slips off.

I hit the lip with a small round file to change the angle that it contacts the bottle cap. It was very easy to file, I'm guessing the tool is aluminum. Now the lip hooks caps properly and I can open bottles.

before
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

16. H418982

H418982 Loaded Pockets

I really like this, I will have to check it out. Simple and it blends in lol.

Tony Sal likes this.
  17. johnnytest

johnnytest Loaded Pockets

Posting pics is such a pain here!!!!!

Tony Sal likes this.
  18. Molle Ninja

Molle Ninja Empty Pockets

19. rioredgt

rioredgt Loaded Pockets

Ordered! Thanks for the heads up.

Tony Sal likes this.
  20. Molle Ninja

Molle Ninja Empty Pockets

Good luck! I'm surprised they haven't caught on here before.

Tony Sal likes this.