1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain tools access

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Darth_Revan, Apr 7, 2021 at 10:06 AM.

1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Loaded Pockets

Ok, this thread is for people who has several tools in their keychain. I only have 2 keys (home and car) and the rest are tools. I also attach my edc knife into it when I go out. It's a small knife, so it doesn't get so much in the way.
    I like to be able to remove any item from the keychain set, so I can work with it better or lend a key to someone, for example. For that, I use a small carabiner and all my tools have some loop to attach. With this carabiner I am able to insert and remove the knife into the set even without getting anything from my pocket, which is nice. I don't have to remove the keychain to use the knife, it's as if the knife were alone in my pocket, I just take a couple seconds more to get it.

The issue here is that if I want to remove any other item that is not close to the opening (the knife is always the closest), I have to remove the keychain from the pocket, turn all the tools that are in the way until the one I want to remove reach the opening of the carabiner.
    To avoid that I was thinking about using a big keyring as main ring and each tool attached to a very small carabiner. However, it might be hard to find such small carabiner in my country. Also, this would add extra bulk and weight to my already heavy and bulky set.

So, for the ones that has several tools, how do you attach and remove them from you keychain?

Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

From left to right: Boker OTF, LM Style PS, Gerber Shard, Kingston pendrive, car key, home key, paracord.
    I was also thinking about changing the carabiner for a wider one, maybe with a different shape.

parnass, Tony Sal and echo victor like this.
  2. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I use a stainless steel split keyring and attach little tools tools to it with McGizmo clips. I even add a pocket clip to the ring with a McGIzmo.

When I have more than a few extra keys to carry, like for the beach house, I add them to an aviator wire keyring and clip that together.

I only use a carabiner to secure the my keys to my carry bag or belt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  3. Darth_Revan

Then you can't remove your tools only?

4. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Not necessarily. Anything that I want to remove quickly or often gets a McGizmo. I have single keys and smaller rings with a McGizmo, also.

When I have knot of keys (about 25), I use the aviation cable ring. But that is a tedious operation.

Tony Sal likes this.
  5. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I can use the doohickey and to whistle on the split ring and the Uncle Bill's tweezers is made to come off.
    Knife is in RFP. Changes Too often.
    Slim or Crabby wallet LFP
    No loose change.

6. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

I think it's Nitize, but I use those locking S-biners to good effect.

Tony Sal likes this.
  7. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I used to use the small nite ize s biners, now I use these little wonders. Ten to a package for something like 5.99 on amazon.
    I usually have a lanyard or my victorinox belt clip with a heavy duty ring and just clip on anything small I need.
    My actual key set up is a keysmart rugged with the deep carry clip, 6 keys, a sim card tool and a klecker griffin pocket tool.
    There is also one of these clips on it for when I want to secure it to the lanyard as well as clipped to my pocket. It adds a bit of security when riding a bike.[​IMG]

Tony Sal and adnj like this.
  8. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have a bunch of those, too. They're much more affordable than McGizmo clips.

ox71 and Tony Sal like this.
  9. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

If I went with the 2 pound tool chain. I would use a P7 on the split ring. But
    Min for summer- 4 keys, ti whistle.
    Assembled the Key Chain of Death, 14 items but used around 4, so its keys only for summer with 91mm SAK and min wallet

10. Darth_Revan

For the ones that use clips, don't you think they add extra weight, bulk?
    lso, do you attach it into a regular keyring?

ox71, you can attach and detach easily within your pockets? Like, one handed?

Tony Sal likes this.
  11. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Minimal extra weight.
    The clip and split ring allows greater freedom so there is more unnecessary movement.
    Regular split rings are used with clips.
    One handed removal is possible but can be difficult. The largest clips will make it much easier but it isn't something that I need to do so I'm no expert.

Tony Sal likes this.
  12. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I moved pianos since the age of 15, extra weight is not a problem,
    As far as detaching things in my pockets goes...no, no room for my hands and my gear in my pocket so the lanyard gets pulled and the tools come out all at once.

Tony Sal likes this.
  13. Darth_Revan

Hahaha, I know that no ammount of keychain weight will be too heavy to carry. However, it might be uncomfortable to be on pocket.

@adjn @ox71, How much tools you have in your set? Could you post pictures?

Tony Sal likes this.
  14. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I stopped at 14 realizing I only used about 3!