1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain tools access

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Darth_Revan, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Loaded Pockets

Ok, this thread is for people who has several tools in their keychain. I only have 2 keys (home and car) and the rest are tools. I also attach my edc knife into it when I go out. It's a small knife, so it doesn't get so much in the way.
    I like to be able to remove any item from the keychain set, so I can work with it better or lend a key to someone, for example. For that, I use a small carabiner and all my tools have some loop to attach. With this carabiner I am able to insert and remove the knife into the set even without getting anything from my pocket, which is nice. I don't have to remove the keychain to use the knife, it's as if the knife were alone in my pocket, I just take a couple seconds more to get it.

The issue here is that if I want to remove any other item that is not close to the opening (the knife is always the closest), I have to remove the keychain from the pocket, turn all the tools that are in the way until the one I want to remove reach the opening of the carabiner.
    To avoid that I was thinking about using a big keyring as main ring and each tool attached to a very small carabiner. However, it might be hard to find such small carabiner in my country. Also, this would add extra bulk and weight to my already heavy and bulky set.

So, for the ones that has several tools, how do you attach and remove them from you keychain?

Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

From left to right: Boker OTF, LM Style PS, Gerber Shard, Kingston pendrive, car key, home key, paracord.
    I was also thinking about changing the carabiner for a wider one, maybe with a different shape.

parnass, Tony Sal and echo victor like this.
  2. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I use a stainless steel split keyring and attach little tools tools to it with McGizmo clips. I even add a pocket clip to the ring with a McGIzmo.

When I have more than a few extra keys to carry, like for the beach house, I add them to an aviator wire keyring and clip that together.

I only use a carabiner to secure the my keys to my carry bag or belt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  3. Darth_Revan

Then you can't remove your tools only?

4. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Not necessarily. Anything that I want to remove quickly or often gets a McGizmo. I have single keys and smaller rings with a McGizmo, also.

When I have knot of keys (about 25), I use the aviation cable ring. But that is a tedious operation.

Tony Sal likes this.
  5. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I can use the doohickey and to whistle on the split ring and the Uncle Bill's tweezers is made to come off.
    Knife is in RFP. Changes Too often.
    Slim or Crabby wallet LFP
    No loose change.

6. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

I think it's Nitize, but I use those locking S-biners to good effect.

Tony Sal likes this.
  7. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I used to use the small nite ize s biners, now I use these little wonders. Ten to a package for something like 5.99 on amazon.
    I usually have a lanyard or my victorinox belt clip with a heavy duty ring and just clip on anything small I need.
    My actual key set up is a keysmart rugged with the deep carry clip, 6 keys, a sim card tool and a klecker griffin pocket tool.
    There is also one of these clips on it for when I want to secure it to the lanyard as well as clipped to my pocket. It adds a bit of security when riding a bike.[​IMG]

Tony Sal and adnj like this.
  8. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have a bunch of those, too. They're much more affordable than McGizmo clips.

ox71 and Tony Sal like this.
  9. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

If I went with the 2 pound tool chain. I would use a P7 on the split ring. But
    Min for summer- 4 keys, ti whistle.
    Assembled the Key Chain of Death, 14 items but used around 4, so its keys only for summer with 91mm SAK and min wallet

10. Darth_Revan

For the ones that use clips, don't you think they add extra weight, bulk?
    lso, do you attach it into a regular keyring?

ox71, you can attach and detach easily within your pockets? Like, one handed?

Tony Sal likes this.
  11. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Minimal extra weight.
    The clip and split ring allows greater freedom so there is more unnecessary movement.
    Regular split rings are used with clips.
    One handed removal is possible but can be difficult. The largest clips will make it much easier but it isn't something that I need to do so I'm no expert.

Tony Sal likes this.
  12. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I moved pianos since the age of 15, extra weight is not a problem,
    As far as detaching things in my pockets goes...no, no room for my hands and my gear in my pocket so the lanyard gets pulled and the tools come out all at once.

Tony Sal likes this.
  13. Darth_Revan

Hahaha, I know that no ammount of keychain weight will be too heavy to carry. However, it might be uncomfortable to be on pocket.

@adjn @ox71, How much tools you have in your set? Could you post pictures?

Tony Sal likes this.
  14. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I stopped at 14 realizing I only used about 3!

MatBlack likes this.
  15. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

That's it when I carry a bigger vic the minichamp gets taken off.
    My work keys consist of one brass key and a magnetic entry fob, I put them on a small lanyard and one of those little gated clips and hang them off that same ring there.the whole thing resides in the outermost edge of my back pocket.[​IMG]

Tony Sal likes this.
  16. Darth_Revan

14 tools?!?? O.O
    Do you use those small clips too? Would love to see a picture of that.

@ox71 you have few items. Only 1 has the clip. I would have to attach 4 clips into a keyring, maybe it's too much.

Tony Sal likes this.
  17. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

No there are two clips there in the pic, they are close together, three when I attach the work keys.
    At my current job I dont have need for much more than a pioneer x or one hand trekker and they go in the front pocket
    I will post a better pic tomorrow

Tony Sal likes this.
  18. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

No no, only a split ring and P7 once to hang it!!
    Ti whistle
    Doohickey
    House key
    Club key -that's it for Summer, other items were cool and traded/ gifted but never used although ready to add back in an emergency: Sog key knife, mini scraper, ferro rod, SAK Classic, pill fob..........

ox71 likes this.
  19. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Okay, what you're trying to do here is optimise your keychain.

I had the same problem so I will tell you what worked for me.

I had a couple of those GIANT modern car keys like yours, and they were taking up a massive amount of room up on my keychain and all of the extra tools and keys were causing an unmanageable wad of crap in my pocket. I was also worried about the weight on my car ignition.

My solution was to split my keychain into two separate keychains.

The big keys went on one keychain and the small keys went on the other. Tools were split to wherever they made the least bulk, and some of them were retired from the rotation, along with some.keys I no longer needed. This made it so much better in my pocket and made it way easier to find the tools I needed.

In your case, I'd put the car key, house key, and fob key on one keyring (you're less likely to loan those out) and put everything else on the other keyring with quick-detach clips to easily remove the tools.

adnj and Tony Sal like this.
  20. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

First, I think your goal of being able to unclip things inside your pocket is going to be very difficult unless you reduce the number of items on the carabiner down to 2 or 3. The only way I've been able to do that is with a dangler that holds the item I typically need the most (usually my car key) towards the top of my pocket.

I'm using a Pangea Designs Pickpocket as the base of my keychain setup. The pickpocket is a dangler that has two holes on the top part that rides on the edge of the pocket in addition to four holes that ride low inside the pocket. On the inner of those two top holes, I have a split ring with a paracord fob (this can be hidden in the pocket or dangled outside the pocket for quick retrieval of the keys). My car key (a fob with flip out key) gets clipped to this ring using a TEC accessories Python clip. This setup allows me to quickly retrieve and remove the car key while it's in my pocket without taking the rest of my keys out of my pocket. I can also hang my car key fob outside my pocket, allowing me to press the buttons without removing the rest of my keychain from my pocket. This setup also allows me to easily swap in keys for other cars when necessary, or even have 2 or 3 car keys ready for easy access when maintaining/cleaning a few cars at once.

The rest of my keychain gear rides on the four holes below the clip part of the dangler. I do occasionally bring some items up to the top hole when I think I will need them again soon (usb drive, Fenix E-05, LM Style PS). The top of the four holes has a mini usb drive on a python clip. The second down has an Exotac Free Key Ring. Currently the Free Key holds my house key, a Fox 40 whistle, and my LM style PS, but the Free Key makes it easy to add any extra keys I might need. Below that on a gate clip is an old single mode Fenix E-05. In the bottom spot attached with a gate clip is a split ring with a titanium mini pry bar and a Res-Q-Me glassbreaker/seatbelt cutter tool. So, I'm at about 8 items total if you count the parafob and my car key (which gets removed when I'm not using it). I think too much more than half a dozen items is going to get bulky very quickly.

Have you thought about putting your tools on a separate carabiner clipped to the main one? This would allow you to have everything connected when you want, but be able to quickly get at the tools when needed. I think some form of splitting your keys in two as suggested by Slipjoint is going to be your best option.

Tony Sal and echo victor like this.