1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain Pics, the Fourth Installment.

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by cowsmilk, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. CrisRoss

CrisRoss Loaded Pockets

3. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

Been my set up as of late.
    [​IMG]

0880, Tony Sal and usk15 like this.
  4. squyzz

squyzz Loaded Pockets

What's the item on top ?
    Thx

Tony Sal likes this.
  5. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

Atwood Hangman. Keychain dangler. My favorite of the few I’ve tried. I️ like that you can hang it off your belt loop or it’ll hang on the inside of your pocket. Best of both worlds.

squyzz and Tony Sal like this.
  6. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Here's my bare bone "SURVIVAL" keychain: a backup kit small enough to carry perpetually, 24/7/365:

Last edited by mzil, Dec 2, 2017
    #3066 mzil, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  7. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

8. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

10. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Only just recently, but yes, thanks. Are they out yet and have been tested by third parties? Considering how skinny they need to be to slip into the toothpick hole [more of a slit, actually] I'd fear they'd snap in half easily when you bear down on them to scrape them, but who knows? I also wonder how many strikes you can get out of them before they become worn down in thickness to the point that they are no longer held in the SAK's scale securely enough such that they don't just slide out by mistake.

It certainly is interesting though and I like the brightly colored tip [that ought to be glow in the dark if it's not already]. I also notice that in the really quick video you linked to there's a couple of edits. In my video, above, I show the whole process start to finish [13m33s] including the five failed strikes before I got an ignition. [And keep in mind I'm working with the world's smallest ferro rod!] Even with the Firefly at what seems to be a quite reasonable price I'm pretty sure I'd end up never using it for fear of wasting it, whereas new BIC lighters [where I get my rods from] cost about a dollar each and used ones are "free". [I.e. I'm really cheap :) ]

Psst. . . I've also found that hacksaw shortened 1/8th inch ferro rods such as the "Mouse Firesteel" from Going Gear [$1] can fit underneath some tools on the larger 91mm SAKs such as the Champion. I plan on showing that in a future video of mine.

Thanks for the link though. It looks pretty cool, seems reasonably priced, and for people that don't like to tinker around making stuff, they just want to own it, it seems to be a good solution!

#3070 mzil, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Tony Sal likes this.
  11. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

Hi Miz,

Agreed on all points. The website addresses many of those issues(including strength,wear and the glow in the dark tip), but real world testing is still needed. Should start shipping early next year.

P.S. can't wait for your next mod!!!

Tony Sal and mzil like this.
  12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Really creative and thought provoking. Amongst thoughts it provoked for me are 2 points that were not addressed as near as I can tell:

1) you clearly showed how you used a separate tool (in this case the blade on you LM Squirt PS4) to remove the celidor scales to get access for the mods and storage of items (fire starter, fishing hook, needle & thread). Well and good. But once the whole thing is reassembled using super glue and you are carrying it in pocket, how do you propose to open up the 'kit' to get access to those items? Seems to me you're setting yourself up to have to carry something else to get the scales off again? Which in my mind perhaps lessens the utility of this approach as opposed to a separate little container (e.g., Altoids box; repurposed Tic Tac container, etc.). Comments?

2) I like the idea of adding a pin to a LM Squirt PS4. I always have one in my pocket. It is not clear to me however how to accomplish this. Perhaps I'm being dense? Would love to see how you do it!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. nepdogg509

nepdogg509 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

totemeca, Nick4305, Tony Sal and 2 others like this.
  14. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Two great questions I'll attempt to answer:

1) I always have another knife on me to remove the scale. This little one is just for my key chain as a last ditch back up. Even if that other knife went missing I still strongly suspect I could remove the scale with a key, a coin, my Mack 2 razor blade knife [also always on tow on the key chain for EDC purposes], or in an emergency, smashing the plastic against a rock. I also only used tiny dots of super glue rather than an amount designed for being dead sure it will never fall off by mistake. Keep in mind the hot water procedure I showed to soften the plastic first is completely unnecessary for emergency scale removal where you don't really care about chipping/cracking the scale and keeping it in good, reusable shape: you just need those inner goodies because of some sort of emergency. [I'm also not trying to suggest "This is the only survival kit you would ever need" but rather that it makes for a good, last ditch backup to other survival kits one should carry.]

2.) Unfortunately the adding the pin trick takes some skill and I tried to warn people that they should practice melting it into other plastic items first because if you slip or melt in a groove that's too deep there won't be enough friction to hold the pin in place. In addition to the melted groove's narrowness working as friction to hold in the pin, the compressed springiness of the tweezers pushing against the pin also helps hold it in. There's more than one technique to make the melted groove for the pin and I show them at 8m49s into the video.

If things go horribly wrong, new scales can be bought on Ebay [~$10] although sometimes its just cheaper to buy a used knife just to get its scales. The mini pen scale is harder to find than the regular 58mm scales but it is featured on the Victorinox Signature, Signature Lite, Manager, and Minichamp. There are lots of these sold used on Ebay because they are one of the most commonly confiscated items that the TSA security check point takes from millions of passengers at airports every day. They collect boxes of them. They give them to charities who then sell them to Ebay auctioneers, as I understand it.

Tony Sal likes this.
  15. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

^There's a vendor called Central Valley Warehouse that sells scales they've pried off of little SAKs because they then add their own fancy scales (glow in the dark, rare transluscent colors, etc.) . At least that's how I think they come by these scales they sell for cheap.
    They probably aren't careful like I was using the plastic softening hot water trick, so their rivet holes are possibly chipped or cracked, but their prices are good and if you plan to use glue anyways this may be OK, I don' know for sure though.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-10-SETS-Victorinox-58mm-Red-HANDLES-USED-Taken-off-new-knives-/131702030758?hash=item1eaa0d81a6

#3075 mzil, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Tony Sal likes this.
  16. Moshe ben David

@mzil: my second question was referring to the Leatherman Squirt PS4; you alluded in the video to adding a pin to it. Don't think that one used the melting of a scale... so how did you do that?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Oh, sorry, I misread your question. Here's the Micra pin video:

Tony Sal and Nick4305 like this.
  18. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Here's the newer Leatherman PS4 pin video

Not all pins work however. Singer brand #20, 1.25 inch pins work though.

Last edited by mzil, Dec 5, 2017
    #3078 mzil, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  19. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Thats the last time you'll post a idea here aint it....... LOL....

mzil likes this.
  20. Moshe ben David

Thanks! Good thing you sent this video. I'd never have found it. I have some pins that work fine on SAK; I'll see if they work...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David