1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain Pics, the Fourth Installment.

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by cowsmilk, Oct 12, 2014.

1. ALLHSS

ALLHSS Loaded Pockets

The small TEC clips work well for me.

There's a plethora of multitools with pocket hooks. Leatherman has some, various other companies, I've always liked the Woytaz Bandicoot 4. I'd go to an online dealer and look for "one piece multitools"

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. Spliced249

Spliced249 Loaded Pockets

Just hit up Ebay and search Brass Fish Hook Pocket Clip - you can get 3 of them for $4 shipped. There are tons of options...

marcclarke likes this.
  3. StarBat

StarBat Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Should have thought of that. Found a couple I like.

Spliced249 likes this.
  4. wuaffiliate

wuaffiliate Empty Pockets

My keys as they have been for the last 3 years.

[​IMG]

2x microlock s-biners because without the lock they are garbage.
    Keyshackle by true utility, no jingle, super light.
    Diy dangler made from a SS rod
    Gerber Shard w/ a backup hair elastic, it adds more grip too
    Sak classic
    Fenix E01

All I need.

LuxN, Nick4305, camporama and 6 others like this.
  5. Koogan

Koogan Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

My new Victorinox Classic Blue Alox
    Victorinox quattro screwdriver (tip: never put it in the small O ring that comes with the Victorinox, it won't come off easily)
    Kingston DataTraveler 16GB
    Keys
    No brand Flashlight

Nick4305, CrisRoss, mzil and 3 others like this.
  6. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Tried a brass approach this time - thought maybe flattening out the bundle of stuff will make a large, feature-rich keychain set attractive once more...
    [​IMG]
    So, the pocket clip/belt loop, also prybar is a Victorinox clip that I drilled through, next goes a brass chain I whipped up myself ( gets a nice shine just from pocket carry), a brass triangle spreader with keys in a shackle mount and, fastened by separate 'biners:
    a Spyderco Ladybug, a flash drive (ned to upgrade to USB3.0), mini-Bic and a Fenix HL10 ;)

usk15, Nick4305, ManVsLawn and 5 others like this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Lorenzo : doesn't it make it more difficult to get your keys in/out of the pocket spread out like this? Just something I've always wondered about. I do like the brass though!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. Linwood

Linwood Loaded Pockets

I've wondered the same thing about a lot of these keychain setups. My assumption has always been that they are dangling them from backpacks or messenger bag, etc. If not, I'd like to see some of these pants... they must have some awfully big pockets!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  9. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Well, 5-11 tactical pants do have big pockets; larger than common jeans and more accommodating for such setups. What the spreader does is flatten the bundle - it sticks out by its thickest part - a mini-Bic here. A round bundle would be thicker.
    Basically, getting this out of a pocket is a yank on the chain, you don't reach inside the pocket.

kikissabiz likes this.
  10. Tranx

Tranx Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I like them and the chain you made with them, but the price is quite high to make a chain with them being 14.50 USD a piece.
    This would make the chain about 150 USD. A little too steep for me.

Unless i have been looking at the wrong places ... for a good price.

11. Basti13

Basti13 Empty Pockets

Homemade leather pouch with snap, Traser trigalight and s-biner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick4305, 0880, lucas760 and 10 others like this.
  12. FlipMag

FlipMag Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Simple. But I think may need to reduce the bulk.

Nick4305, Stormdrane and jag-engr like this.
  13. SJS101

SJS101 Loaded Pockets

14. swen

swen Loaded Pockets

15. Linwood

Linwood Loaded Pockets

Ok so after my last post my goal became (aside from all titanium) to cut as much weight as possible while retaining the same degree of function. I've yet to delve into setting up a keychain for the sake of looking pretty (though some of you guys make me want to).

Quite a few functions and all together including the key fob I'm sitting at 4.1oz (I really don't think I could shave off any more weight and retain the same functionality.... its pretty darn light)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you're tipping the scales at 4.1 oz, then your gear must be really light, because I'm guessing that they key fob is the lion's share of that weight!

Off-hand, I only see two potential areas of weight saving:
    1. ditch the cutter, bit, and pry tool for an Alox Rambler (this one messes up your all-titanium goal)
    2. check the weight of the Keyport blades (provided they are SC1 and KW1 keys) against the weight of JMA Aluminum keys (marketed by KeySmart as "Airkeys", but available from other sources, as well)
    That keychain looks pretty good - there is a consistency of style to it with all of the matte titanium.

Last edited by jag-engr, Mar 16, 2016
  17. Linwood

Linwood Loaded Pockets

Good suggestions, however titanium is kinda non negotiable at this point (way too much money and time invested to give up on that!). I really like those aluminum keys and in fact I think they would be lighter (possibly in an even unmodified state) though I would have to find a compatible one for my office which is an FA2 and then cut them down (Which would ruin the anodizing) to match the profile of the keyport. Here's another shot to show how flat the profile of this setup is. (I'm also not a fan of the "swiss army" style knives; though I realize how popular and beloved they are!)

[​IMG]

Fun fact:

Though trying to go as small as possible, in keeping with the titanium theme I had to pass on a smaller light (tec accessories pixel). However when switching to a more weight focused build I discovered that despite being considerably smaller the "Pixel" is actually heavier (probably around a gram so not much but considering the size difference I didn't expect that)

[​IMG]

Nick4305 and jag-engr like this.
  18. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I don't blame you.

American Key Supply might have an FA2 - I'd give them a call. As far as the ano... yeah, it'll pretty much be trashed. You could put heat shrink tubing over the head of the key, I guess. It would likely serve to quiet the keys.

Blasphemy! I actually like the Rambler better than the full-sized knives. It's very convenient, but more rugged than one could reasonably expect.

Also, what kind of pry tool is that? It looks real familiar, but I can't remember the maker. Is it titanium?

19. Linwood

Linwood Loaded Pockets

It's a JDR Pryranha. Yep it is Titanium

20. 0880

0880 Loaded Pockets

That looks like a JDR Knife and Tool. I'm not sure which model though. It's too bad he isn't selling tools anymore, I really wanted to order something from him.