1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain Pics, Part 1

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by figtree, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

Here is my key chain.
    Belt hanger
    bead chain
    Keys
    Little Crescent wrench
    Swiss tech Utiltikey
    Victorinox Alox classic
    I plan on adding powerful small stainless steel light soon ITP makes a little SS cr123 I like.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

I would get away from the chain. Those are meant for any long term carrying such as that with weight like you have on it and it'll eventually get caught on something and break. Better to go with a small braided cable if you want length to put in a pocket. Or, just connect the ring right to the belt holder.

3. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I have been using that bead chain on my key's for almost 4 years now and it has not broke yet-yet- I will have to find a new stronger chain or something it is getting week at the clasp's that hold it to my keyring. I hang my key's off my belt into my pocket and that little chain work's great-it's off a sink drain i put in about 4 years ago- I think a cable would kink so it has to be chain or cord.

Thanks xxForceTenxx any other Idea's besides a cable that I can use to run my key off my belt into my pocket something light but strong.

4. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

True story. It all started way back in 2001, when I discovered in order to get the top of line new Juice series Leatherman, XE6, I was forced to buy it in purple. Over the past decade, anything else in purple I got, was added...

[​IMG]

Laid out in linear columns:
    [​IMG]

Left column:

1. Flat spine carabiner
    2. Rubberband, wide
    3. Large S-biner
    4. Small S-biner
    5. Whistle
    6. Soda bottle cap camera stabilization adapter with chain-pod hole mod
    7. Craftsman thumb bit driver (with added plastic wire tie added)
    8. Bottle opener/ bit adapter wrench
    9. Bottle opener/ hex wrench
    10. Keychain quick disconnect
    11. Three ring carabiner key holder
    12. Name tag (can also secretly carry de-spined razor blade)

Center:

Large aircraft wire keychain, criss crossed for photo only

Right column:

13. Round spine carabiner
    14. Leatherman Juice XE6
    15. Keychain safety pin
    16. Carabiner key fob
    17. Combo laser, UV currency detection/white light, ballpoint pen (black ink), carabiner
    18. Combo UV light/ invisible ink pen (ink glows under UV light)
    19. Soda/water bottle carrier (also carries monopods)
    20. Sharpie marker pen highlighter
    21. Combo whistle/ waterproof container
    22. Pill box/container

P.S. This is just for collection purposes. My EDC keychain is rather boring.

=RedFox= and SAKplumber like this.
  5. xxForceTenxx

Interesting that it works for you. I've yet been able to get any of those style bead chains to last longer than a few weeks without breaking on anyhting other than a chain pull for light or sink due to stress, angles, etc. Aside from a cable, or fixed object, no other ideas unfortunately. I deep carry my keys and when I did use a belt clip, it was directly to the keyring.

Might be worth a trip to the hardware store to see what else they have for lightweight chains that may work for you. Otherwise, see if you can find replacement clasps and keep going with it. :)

6. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

Something is missing... oh yeah! You need a purple Fenix E01 !

7. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

That is by far, the purplist keyring I ever did see!

=RedFox= likes this.
  8. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

OMG!!! I am in awe. :) What a cool purple collection. I'd love to find that purple UV/white light/laser pointer of yours. Can you remember where you found it?

=RedFox= likes this.
  9. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Almost all of these items were found at various hardware stores' key cutting stations, also City Sports, and Eastern Mountain Sports. The ballpoint pen/laser/UV/white light/carabiner is the latest addition and is brand new to the market. It has no web link I can find but I bought it for $1.97 from the check out line's trinkets and batteries section of my local Home Depot. It doesn't seem to really have a brand name or model number (471838 is written in the package's corner) and the blister pack's info indicates it is specifically made for Home Depot. "Multifunction LED Flashlight", 4 in 1, SKU 6 943777200089 is the laser bar code number.

indigo and =RedFox= like this.
  10. doctag

doctag Loaded Pockets

11. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

^That dealextreme product does indeed look similar but without the ballpoint pen and pen cap, which screws off the pen end and re-screws onto the laser/light end to extend the body to normal pen length.

12. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I am planing on replacing the bead chain I like it but cant risk using it and losing my keyring. I need some Ideas all the chain I can find are all to thick or to easily broken.

First it needs to be 10in 12in -I can cut it to size- and able to attach to my key ring with very strong clips or be able to be threaded onto it. I don't want to use a cable but i might if it is Very flexible. I may have to braid something -wrist lanyard sort of-out of para cord but it gets dirty and will wear fast on my belt clip. I don't want to add a ring to it. I want to keep it light thin but Strong . One more thing it has to be stainless steel or titanium -rust proof-.

I think there is something that is perfect for what I plan on using it for. I cant find anything that is much better than what i got already. I am a maintenance man / janitor at a hotel so I work on a lot of different stuff if it is in the hotel I take care of it but I cant think of a really good Light chain I could use. It is worth a few buck's to me to keep from loosing my key's so if I got to spend 20$ or so on a good chain it's worth it to me.

also if the only way I can get it is to order several feet that's fine I will put it to use on something.

I appreciate any Ideas

13. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

I don't know if a titanium necklace would suit you? It might be a little long, but worth having a look at:
    http://www.titaniumstyle.com/chains-1.htm

14. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

There are thin one's I like that I think would work but I am unsure of breaking strength of a necklace there not made to hold any weight.

Would look great though.

15. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Updated my key ring.

[​IMG]

16. xxForceTenxx

What about the folded flat chain that you can buy in bulk at hardware stores? It's a flat piece of stamped metal that's folded flat with a small loop on one side that the next link goes through? I don't know the technical term. But, that might be an option?

17. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I know the chain you mean It will kink and bend till it breaks I think.

18. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Ball chains are intentionally made to be weak. They originally were used as a necklace for soldiers to wear their dog tags around their necks. If inadvertently an enemy or a mechanical device were to yank the chain you wouldn't want a garroting (decapitation) to take place so instead the chain is designed to snap in order to save your life.

I too used ball chains before I knew this and they do fail, perhaps once a year or so, depending on how heavy the use, but I found the perfect solution I highly recommend. I took some video and pics of it for another thread about an unrelated DIY project I invented which happens to be on this substitute chain I've used for over a decade without failure. The video has been uploaded to Youtube where I used their on-line video editor. Once you apply the edits, transitions, annotations, captions, audio, etc it then has to go through a lengthy "rendering/processing stage" which it is doing right now so I can't link to it yet. I'm going to bed now but tomorrow I will post a link and all will be explained, I promise. :)

19. mrBIOS

mrBIOS Loaded Pockets

20. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

Does it have to be metal? I've been using a looP of paracord to attach my key rings to my carabiner so that they can dangle down into my pocket. It works perfectly. Very flexible, very strong, essentially no chance of breaking (though it can be easily cut. Well, somewhat easily). Abrasion resistant, and cheap. 100' for ~$8 last time I bought (~1mo ago).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.