1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain Pics, Part 1

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by figtree, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

Just threw this keychain together as "proof of concept" type thing to see how well I like it. It's a CountyComm mechanics key ring, peanut lighter, modded cheapo pen, ACR whistle (very flat), Vic Cadet (red alox), LMF scout firesteel, and wrapped widgy bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last picture is my EDC organizer with all the stuff displayed. A lot of the things I put on my keychain came out of there, and I don't have duplicates yet.

It's not exactly the way I want it. I want to swap out the peanut lighter and widgy bar (both from CountyComm) with a split pea lighter and a pico widgy bar. I also want a more compact firesteel (or maybe none at all?), a nicer pen, tweezers, and maybe switch out the Vic Cadet with a Classic.

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Nice set-up. Been my experience that the Classic is more of a men's grooming tool than a useful utility knife. I own both Classics and a Cadet. If weight is your #1 issue, swap out the Cadet. But realize you'll be losing a very versatile utility knife.

Pico pen or Inka pen should meet your needs.

3. legoman0721

I mostly use the Cadet for the nail file, so the Classic should work well for that. I also always have another knife (or 2... or 3.. yes, I'm an addict) on me. Oftentimes it's a green Alox Cadet with the Endura. ;D

I like the Pico pen, except I worry about the magnet causing problems. I haven't looked into Inka pens yet, but that's a good idea. I also like the pens from the EDCF store, but the price is pretty steep for me.

Edit to add: I'm also looking at a small light to go on there. I love the mini Quark line, and would really like a Mini CR123 to go on there. But I like the lightness, small size, and cheapness of something like the County Comm keyring LED's, as well.

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of the CC keyring LED lights. They're nice, but I've had times when I had to use coin-cell lights out in a light rain. Only two never failed on me. The Streamlight Nano has other problems, so I can't recommend it. The Photon Freedom (and I mean the Freedom version specifically) is great in the rain. Having taken a closer look at the CC keyring lights, they wouldn't survive even a mild rain. But other than that, they're nice little lights.

5. legoman0721

That's good to know. Thanks for the info! I'm not sure what my final layout is going to be, but you've been very helpful. A Quark Mini would solve all the water problems, but it also has the most weight and cost so it's not something I can get right away. A Photon Freedom might be the way I go in the short-term, especially with winter (I.E. lots of water in all forms) on the way.

I'm also considering adding a Leatherman Squirt sometime in the distant future, but that might add too much weight for me, especially because I usually have a Juice S2 on me.

6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Glad I could help out. :)

7. keymaster

keymaster Loaded Pockets

Nice choice with the ACR whistle. I've been meaning to pick one up for my organizer. How thick is it? Thicker than the Cadet? Thanks.

8. legoman0721

I don't have anything precise enough to measure the difference, but the ACR whistle is slightly thinner than the Cadet, even at it's thickest point. It is thinner at the mouthpiece, but even in the body it is just a slight bit thinner than the Cadet. I hope that makes sense...

9. xX_CENTURION_Xx

xX_CENTURION_Xx Empty Pockets

What is that fixed blade there? It looks very familiar, but I can't think of what it is.

10. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

Bud Nealy Inspired Boker?

11. legoman0721

12. xX_CENTURION_Xx

xX_CENTURION_Xx Empty Pockets

Thanks! That is one cool looking knife...

13. rhazkhal

rhazkhal Loaded Pockets

Not sure if I could still find my old post where I showed my overloaded (well for me it was) keychain, but yeah I barely got back on this forum where I did miss so much specially all the pictures that everyone is posting, so keep it coming guys and I'll get started on taking pictures of my new setup...

14. D56

D56 Loaded Pockets

I've replaced my old EO1 with this new EO5 on my keychain, I will get some pics of the keychain soon...

[​IMG]

15. gcn

gcn Empty Pockets

gcn's keys

Hello,
    Here are some photos and a description of my edc key setup.

[​IMG]

The keys are staggered according to size. I used a 25mm 4M philllips head bolt to join the keys with metal spacers between them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A touch of loctite on the end prevents loosening. The keys are tight enought to not float around on the bolt but are still easy to draw and access individually.

[​IMG]

The only key which required modifying was the wifes car key (white plastic head).
    I removed the black key head but left the plastic interior with the transponder chip required for starting the vehicle. A little super glue sealed this in place.

[​IMG]

The main car key has a removable transponder that also houses the remote entry unit.

[​IMG]

The key itself slots inside.

[​IMG]

The mini prybar is useful for quick tasks and does a nice job of enclosing the keys.

[​IMG]

I use a small s-biner to attach the keys to a belt clip and then suspend them in my pocket. They're not bulky. They don't rattle, bunch up or pinch and I can draw them easily for quick access.

Xiii likes this.
  16. HFTB

HFTB Empty Pockets

That a nice set of keys, gcn

17. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

that is a nice setup for your keys and micro widgey ....got me thinking here.. thanks for the pics

18. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Xiii likes this.
  19. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

Hazna ... you put some great thought into that lineup. Very Nice!

20. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.