1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain Pics, Part 1

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by figtree, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sirvive

Sirvive Loaded Pockets

How do I post pics?

:shrug:

2. Roger Beep

Roger Beep Loaded Pockets

3. Sirvive

Sirvive Loaded Pockets

[img width=640 height=480]http://i48.tinypic.com/2vudbtt.jpg[/img]

Hurray! :roof:

I got my pic to work! I used tinypic.com instead of Imageshack which didn't work.

My EDC:

Maxpedition wallet
    Rat Cutlery Survival Card (inside the wallet)
    Zebra F-301 compact (clips perfectly inside the wallet)
    Orange Victorinox Alox Classic
    Spy capsule (1 bill and 2 Ibuprofen tablets inside)
    Photon X-Light Micro
    Victorinox Farmer
    GlowLite Glowring
    McClip
    1 Strip Glow tape on remote car opener
    Also have a Pico Widgy bar wrapped in orange paracord (not seen in pic as I took it off to modify it)

4. maximus

maximus Empty Pockets

5. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

??? ??? ???

6. RFA3

RFA3 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I added a Fox 40 whistle and started using my US ARMY carabiner...this keychain is still a work in progress....

7. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

Earlier sirvive asked "can you see this?", and neither I nor maximus can see it so maximus posted "no". sirvive later modified his post so they work now. Hope that clears confusion.

8. Fladi

Fladi Loaded Pockets

[img width=640 height=383]http://studentskigrad.com/temp/edc.jpg[/img]

the keychain is rather simple
    1 - 2in1 mini led flashligh+ laser pointer
    2 - freebie whistle, but really loud and slim
    3 - 4GB flash memory

9. pleeho

pleeho Loaded Pockets

My current EDC:

[​IMG]

A) Keychain:
    via coated twist-close wire chain, on McGizmo 20mm clips:
    1) Verbatim Tuff 'n' Tiny 8gb USB 2.0
    2) solid Titanium whistle
    3) Leatherman Squirt P4
    4) Pico WidgyBar
    5) Exotac NanoStryker
    6) Keys
    7) Peanut Lighter
    8) Aluminum BisonCapsule containing pills
    9) Titanium Inka Pen
    10) US Gov ninja splinter tweezers
    11) Maratac AA natural anodized Cree Q5 light

B) Verizon Centro
    C) Spec-Ops Brand T.H.E. wallet
    D) Spyderco Caly 3 in VG-10 steel, G-10 handle

10. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Nice - did you add that attachment to the whistle as I know those used to come with ball and chain type attachments only?

11. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Titanium goodies, Peter Atwood tools, are you guys on EDCForums.com also?

12. DpM

DpM Loaded Pockets

I really enjoy seeing your set up. :D
    P.S. Nice job explaining the "construction" of this on your youtube video! O0 O0

13. pleeho

pleeho Loaded Pockets

Tixx, yes those triangular hangers do come with those Ti whistles - didn't know they used to come w/ballchain ones.
    DpM, I always enjoy seeing everybody else's EDC pix here & got lots of good ideas here.

14. KLancelot

KLancelot Empty Pockets

[img width=480 height=640]http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/KLancelot/photo.jpg[/img]

[img width=480 height=640]http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/KLancelot/photo2.jpg[/img]

This is my first post. I only discovered EDCF a week ago and have gone through the whole thread and placed 3 orders already. ;)The last order came in today so I thought I would share, get some opinions, and pray I don't order anymore. I wanted to go with a stainless steel theme but my car keys have black plastic. Otherwise, all stainless steel.

Of course, the hang is critical and I have been experimenting to see if there is a better arrangement. I also think it's a bit bulky right now and I hope to slim it down a bit after I get over the initial "get everything on there" phase. Possible substitutions include a SAK Signature Lite in silver to replace the Spyderco Bug. I would really like a pair of scissors like in the SAK but I also really like the feel of my first Spyderco.

All on McGizmo Pico clips with either a size 5 split ring or a size 3 split ring. In hindsight, I should have thought about a size 6 or 7 instead. I had to get both a special split ring tool and split ring pliers to put some things on and the rings don't close flat anymore. It would be great if people had posted more information about the split ring sizes.

All on a wire keyring from Tec Accessories.

Clockwise from the top.
    1) Key fob.

2) Maratec AAA from County Comm. I really like the light but it's a bit bulky because I was carrying only my keys and my Photon Freedom Micro before. I may go back to my Photon because of size and because my car keys already have black plastic.

3) Keys with a Brewzkey on top.

4) Car key.

5) Pico pry bar from County Comm wrapped in silver paracord. For some reason, the paracord looks slightly green, almost glow in the dark and I'm thinking about re-wrapping it in GITD paracord or letting it go bare. The end is not burned well because it's my first time working with paracord and I realized that I should have let the paracord dry first before burning the end.

6) County Comm's version of the Sliver Grippers, made in the USA.

7) The Original Pill Fob Mini. I like the quality of this a lot but I'm not sure about the triangle connector and the solid construction actually makes it a bit bulky. I would appreciate any suggestions on a smaller pill fob.

8) Spyderco Bug. I thought about something bigger like the Honeybee or the Ladybug but the Ladybug has a black grip and the Bug is just less bulky. I actually like it quite a bit but I'm thinking about adding a SAK Signature Lite in silver so I can drop the light and add a pen and scissors. I normally carry a Fisher Space Pen anyways so the pen in the SAK would only be a backup. I eliminated the Inka and Pico Pen from consideration already, leaving it down to the Valiant Concepts or the Trekker. After adding all these things, I'm not thinking about keeping a pen on the keychain anymore. My Fisher is probably enough.

9) Stainless steel whistle from REI. I don't like the logo'ing on it but the really great whistles are either quite expensive or hard to find. I was thinking about the VersaTi whistle unless someone can suggest a better alternative. I did try a SAK flat black plastic whistle because it was well-reviewed but the bulk was unsuitable.

10) P7 clip from Tec Accessories.

Individually, I really, really like the Maratec AAA and the Spyderco Bug but one SAK Signature Lite would replace both, remove bulk, and add a pen and scissors.

I'm also not sure about the McGizmo clips on the wire keyring. Not sure if the McGizmo's will somehow come loose on the wire ring or not.

Not sure about the paracord either but I'm worried that the pry bar will tear up the other items otherwise.

All comments and suggestions would be much appreciated.

15. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

16. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF!! You really dug in. Great "key" chain! Stainless steel is very cool. I think that will hold up well to pocket abuse and look great for many years. Since you asked for input.... :D I think you will find that those McGizmo clips will slip off of that cable ring. I used a similar setup for a long time and frequently would find a tool unclipped at the bottom of my pocket. My solution was to go with a large diameter split ring, however it definitely doesn't hang the same as with the cable. I've also have had a problem with that type of cable ring, the cable pulled free of the connector. I've found the twisty style connectors like these sold at Flashlightlens.com to be much more robust. They take a little bit of practice to open and close them but once you got it down it is very easy and quick.

I'm bad about split ring sizes. I just order a bunch of different sizes and then pick the one that seems to match the tool. Probably a good thing to track though, thanks for posting the sizes you used.

17. KLancelot

KLancelot Empty Pockets

Thanks for the welcome!

I checked out the link you included but it looks like the cable is uncoated. Did you have experience on choosing between a clear plastic coated version and an uncoated version? http://www.mrlock.com/eshop/locks/35702.html Is this the same thing but coated? I did have everything on a split ring (tried different sizes) but I agree the "hang" was not acceptable. If you can tell me a bit more about choosing a coated or uncoated version of this ring, I'll make the switch!

For the split ring sizes, based on my experience now, I would consider split rings only size 6 through 8. It's not hard to get a size 3 or 5 on a McGizmo hole but the trick is note how big the item attachment hole is. An assortment of rings from 6 to 8, maybe 5 to 8 would be ideal. I used a size 3 ring on only the Maratec and the whistle. Otherwise, everything else was a size 5. I don't think it would have made much difference if I had used a size 6 for everything and they would not all be bent out of shape.

18. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Yep the one in the link has the same attach method. I've never used the coated ones. The coating would probably make the clip attachment more secure. The downside is that the coating probably will crack and/or wear over time, but they are cheap enough to just swap it out when that happens. The trick for opening them is to pinch each side and twist it into a figure 8 then lightly push you hands towards each other (squeezing the two halves of the "8" together to relieve tension). I'm actually satisfied with a 30mm split ring for clipping to, the tool spread is a little wider but well within what I can tolerate - the security of knowing the clips probably will not accidentally release is worth it.

Here is an older pic with the 30mm ring for reference. I only carry a subset of these tools with my keys the rest are on a keychain that hangs in my daypack.

[​IMG]

19. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

Here is my current setup, I carry my keychain in the pocket, so it is important for me that the items are small and lightweight.

[​IMG]

Everything is attached to one of those braided wire loops. I got mine free with some tritium glowrings I bought.

Starting from the top:

House keys, attached with a large lanyard clip. I have two sets of house keys which I change around, based on where I'm staying for the night (my house vs parnter's place).

Swisstech Utilitkey. I find it is small and unobtrusive. Not the best functionality wise. Would consider changing it in future.

Merkava Tritium Glowring attached together with a small engraved tag. The tag has my name and phone number on one side, 'please call if found' on the other side. The tritium glowring has picked up a lot of scratches from keychain use. Its not broken yet, but I can see a split developing in the plastic casing. I would consider replacing it for a titanium tritium glowring, if I can find myself willing to part with the money.

Chrome Drake from Modamag. Small, but can put out a lot of light for the wow factor.

Spyderco Bug. One of the smallest knives I could find. The blade length suits my occasional use, but it would be a little too small for certain tasks.

Car Keys.

Note in future, I would consider removing the utilitykey and the spyderco bug and swapping it for a small rambler. I'm awaiting for an alox rambler to come out.

Here is a close up of how I attach some of my items to the keychain.

[​IMG]

The fishing swivels are spro split ring swivels, available from cabelas. I find these produce a smooth swivelling action, and feel well made. The swivel comes with split rings on either side. The one attached to the spyderco bug is a size 2 swivel, it comes with size 2 split rings. The one attached to my drake is a size 3 swivel with size 3 split rings, I could not get a size 2 split ring on the drake, it was too hard. The one attached to the info tag/glowring is a size 4 swivel. The size 4 split rings that came with the swivel were to small for my purposes. I switched to a size 5, which attaches to my key chain; a size 5 allows it to move freely along the connection point that is on the key chain. I needed a size 6 split ring to attach it to my info tag, my glow ring is also attached to this size 6 split ring.

The other end of the swivels are attached to small lanyard clips (available from lighthound). This allows me to clip and unclip the knife and flashlight from the keychain. I have added some very small rubber ties, to the lanyard clips; so the split ring does not move too much within the clip.

20. RLC44

RLC44 Loaded Pockets

After a few years here I think I've finally completed my perfect "keychain."

[img width=640 height=480]http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad330/RlC44/Jaunt/IMG00002-20100219-1311.jpg[/img]

Leatherman mod (scissors, blade, mini flat head/bottle opener, phillips)
    GITD fob by LESLIEx317537 from CPF
    House keys (Fear the Turtle)
    LaCie iamaKey 8gb
    Car Key (for a Lincoln, but programed for a Ford to avoid using a key and separate fob)

I used the connectors from a Bison Design Key Caddie, but the center is from a Hy-Ko Cable Key Ring. I'll take the compact center with the issue of having to rearrange things to get to what I need over the bulkier Bison Design with 360 access to what I need.

The only thing that I may add is a telescopic pen (tried the pico pen, but still want something more compact).[/font]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.