1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain Pics, Part 1

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by figtree, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e2dwml

e2dwml Loaded Pockets

Anthologics likes this.
  2. e2dwml

e2dwml Loaded Pockets

I looked up grade 5 Ti and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the most commonly used Ti for tools and the such so yes I think it's quality enough for what you'll be able to use it for. I put some pics of mine to show the size in my EDC thread. If only I knew how to post a link to it I would...sorry about that never done it before.

3. hexmonkey

hexmonkey Loaded Pockets

Probably something like one half of this clip:

http://milspecmonkey.com/store/tactical-gear/snap-shackle-1-slot

[​IMG]

SAKplumber likes this.
  4. e2dwml

e2dwml Loaded Pockets

mooshisho likes this.
  5. Alfin_lee

Alfin_lee Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the comment guys...
    Actually, "the punisher"pocket tool is the gift from the friend of mine, that he bought from ebay too

6. caveanimal32

caveanimal32 Loaded Pockets

here is mine
    [​IMG]

ParSve and Lone Airedale like this.
  7. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

^^^ hey i have a penny with a cross on me keys too!

mooshisho likes this.
  8. caveanimal32

caveanimal32 Loaded Pockets

sweet i found mine on sunset boulevard years ago.

mooshisho likes this.
  9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Last edited by SAKplumber, Oct 7, 2012
    N2505, mooshisho and KAMM like this.
  10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Blame this post entirely on SAKPlumber pointing to this in another thread.
    First off, the explanation of how the shackle releases in post #3242 is dead on. That type of release is favored by the power kiting community because it will operate under load (i.e. a kite pulling an adult and ~100 lbs stainless steel buggy @ 30-60+ mph).

Most people seem to favor carabiners for keychain setups which has always left me scratching my head. You have something that is rated for insane break strengths and then you hang it from a belt loop that it bartacked and not particularly meant to be load bearing (per se)... at least by a single loop. Just seemed a bit counter-intuitive.

I had picked up a snap-shackle for kiting, but the clevis pin gate clearance was too small, so I set it aside.

<Enter mad scientist mode>

Took it out recently, lubed it with Krytech to remove any stiction from the release and was playing around with it. <* Insert light bulb *> I knoticed that the clevis pin was pretty much the perfect size for a #3 McGizmo clip. So that works for keychain tools that you might need to remove on a regular basis.

Similarly, I expect that it would be fairly easy to source and D/anchor shackle that would mate well with one of the large McGizmo clips, which would be good for keychain tools and such that don't often need to be seperated.

Have been playing with a system that will allow for easy carry on either the belt or pack.
    <Exit mad scientist mode...for now>

More to follow...

ATB,
    Sam

SAKplumber and Sriracha like this.
  11. billybogota
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybogota Loaded Pockets

I'm going to try to talk to the riggers this week and see if they know any more about these, or who the prime manufacturer is.

SAKplumber and kd7dvd like this.
  12. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

"Most people seem to favor carabiners for keychain setups which has always left me scratching my head. You have something that is rated for insane break strengths and then you hang it from a belt loop that it bartacked and not particularly meant to be load bearing (per se)... at least by a single loop. Just seemed a bit counter-intuitive."

Thats why I have a braided paracord thingy slid around my belt, tied to a welded Ti ring. Everything gets clipped to that, and its suspended nicely!

13. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I think I have correctly identified the piece in the other thread and also expressed my concern that it might be a discontinued item. If so, one of the clevis pin series with a McGizmo clip would serve a similar function.

ATB,
    Sam

14. billybogota
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybogota Loaded Pockets

Gotcha, just saw it--Milspecmonkey has the same kind of ones in black, but sometimes the stocking is a little wonky (considering the volume of patches and vendors he has to service, I'm surprised he hasn't run screaming for the hills yet). I'll still do some digging, maybe I'll come up with a few this week.

SAKplumber and vegassprky like this.
  15. uneekwahn

uneekwahn Loaded Pockets

16. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

Where did you get that purple bead and do u have more pics of that thing with the 2 keys that's orange? What is this:

[​IMG]

| Sent from my iPhone 4S |

SAKplumber likes this.
  17. uneekwahn

uneekwahn Loaded Pockets

The purple bead was made by a guy on USN. It's titanium, anodized and knurled.

The thing with the keys and orange things is a stainless steel d-shackle like this

[​IMG]

and the orange bits are premium tap washers which act as spacers between the keys. the keys have also been grinded down

[​IMG]

Last edited by uneekwahn, Oct 7, 2012
  18. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Tweezers.

19. uneekwahn

uneekwahn Loaded Pockets

Whoops. I seem to have misread your post. They are Uncle Bill's Silver Grippers

20. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty sure that extendable/telescoping pen is a Zebra SL-F1, yes? I've often thought to add a small keychain attachment to mine by adding a small piece of metal, perhaps a bit of a small diameter paper clip metal bent into a figure eight, with one hole for the pen's top screw which holds the pocket clip in place [a longer screw may be necessary, but I have verified Home Depot has them. It's metric.] with the other hole acting as the attachment point.

Also, not sure if you (or others) already know this, but I've discovered that this pen will take a Fisher Space Pen refill, SU4F, turning it into a "space pen"! :) I talk about that for about a minute, starting at 2 min 22 sec., here in this video [I've attempted to jump straight to that point in the video, but I'm not able to do it in embedded form in this post].

Last edited by mzil, Oct 8, 2012
    MinimumEffort and gstojinovic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.