1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Keychain Pen / Ruler Hybrid

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Hebily, Aug 17, 2010.

?

Would you like to see a measuring scale built in to the Valiant Concepts Pen?

1. I would love this, and be willing to buy another VC pen to have this feature!

17 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. I would like this, but would not be willing to buy another VC pen for this feature.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. I would not consider this feature in my decision to buy a pen.

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  4. I do NOT like this idea, for reasons I've explained below.

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

This post was inspired by a comment made by DaveM, asking if the picopen and inchworm could be combined.

Personally, I am a much bigger fan of the Valiant Concepts pen, and I was wondering, for those of you that carry one, would you consider the addition of measure-marks (ruler) to be a substantial improvement?

Of course, I have no idea whether this will ever happen, but I figured if I put the idea out there and enough people like it, Valiant Concepts might decide to give it a shot (assuming its practicible and responsible - on which I have no clue).

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I think it's a great idea. However, since both PicoPen and Inchworm (or rather the Centipede in my case) are products of TEC Accessories, I rather feel they should be the one to give it a shot.

3. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

Quite frankly, I think it depends on patents. They may be the only company that legally can give it a shot.

If VC can legally do it, I think both companies should. Market competition is productive for both product improvement and price reduction. Besides, the pens differ enough that they each have a strong fan base.

4. someoneyoudontknow

someoneyoudontknow Loaded Pockets

If you mix a pen and a ruler, then how the heck are you going to mark something at a length?

5. rioredgt

rioredgt Loaded Pockets

That's a good point.

Robert

6. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

7. ICSK

ICSK Loaded Pockets

Remove the ink cartridge and then measure!

I'm not sure how practical this idea is. Back when I EDCed a Micra, I found that I never used the ruler. The only purpose it served was a novelty factor. Perhaps it might help a professional to have a 3" pen/ruler but it wouldn't be one for me

8. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i recently bought a Messograf pen...from passion4pens...and i like it..although it is not a keychain pen...it is great for my edc bag..
    and eliminates me carrying a 6 inch ruler..so thats a good thing..like someone has called it the leatherman of pens..that maybe correct..

9. Gryphon

Gryphon Loaded Pockets

Well, I recently bought an Acme Stanley and it works fine for basic measuring. It is not exactly a keychain pen, and it's not exactly a micrometer, but I don't personally have much of a use for a ruler that truly fits on a keychain. The inchworm is a little longer than I would consider a true keychain item, except perhaps among us. As for drawing lines, that comment made me crack up, but I don't personally usually need to draw a line when I'm measuring something.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to have markings etched into the valient concepts pen, or some other pen. I wouldn't cut rings into it like the inchworm, though. It's already the ultimate keychain pen...I'd rather not overload it into a mediocre ruler. On the other hand, I would very much like to get my hands on a titanium new-model...please, let them appear in the JSBurlys store ASAP!

Hmm, while we're adding functions, I think a multifunction wallet pen would be excellent...

10. mefelan

mefelan Empty Pockets

I would really like it if the Valiant pen took standard Fisher refills.

11. Gryphon

Gryphon Loaded Pockets

The pen is half the length of a standard space pen refill. It does use Fisher-made refills, just little tiny ones.

12. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

Inspiring thread. I feel like making some marks on my current edc items to denote measurement increments. Maybe even a white label printer that can crank out inches/cms? :D

13. someoneyoudontknow

someoneyoudontknow Loaded Pockets

Use a file or saw and a very steady hand. Labels peel off and wiritng can rub off. Physically marring the item would last longer. You could then fill the nick with something to color it (again, might rub off but less likely in a rough, recessed area).

A set of good dividers might do the trick in some instances, though you will need to take your time and might want to retouch with something.

If picking from saw or file, I'm partial to a triangular needle (small) file, or a jewlers saw.